Author Topic: The great American fallout: how small towns came to resent cities  (Read 1676 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Joe’s voice takes on a mocking tone.

“You gotta quit driving!” he says. “Don’t drive as much.” He rolls his eyes and looks around at his pals, a handful of them perched on moulded plastic lawn chairs in a tiny town in central Wisconsin. He’s talking about the way city people look down on rural folks like himself. In his normal voice he adds: “You gotta drive 20 miles to work? You can’t cut that in half.”

Joe gathers with his friends every morning over coffee to solve the problems of the world. With a wink, they call themselves the Downtown Athletic Club (the closest downtown is 30 miles away) and are a mix of independent contractors in construction trades, an independently employed auto mechanic, and several retired public school teachers. They have a mix of political leanings among them, but most of them openly support Donald Trump.

You might not always guess it. After the cost of healthcare and gas, the most frequent topic of conversation is economic inequality – which many of the group blame on corporate CEOs. “The other big issue I think for our whole nation is the discrepancy [between workers and bosses],” says one of the retired teachers, Gary. “The top of the corporations are taking off profits greater than ever before in history. And that’s really driving a bigger separation between the richest in America, and the common belief is that we’re losing the middle class.”

Does he share this belief? “Well the business element is: the town is dying,” he says, as if it were both so obvious and so familiar to him that it was barely worth comment. “All the small towns in the area are having a hard time keeping grocery stores, and gas stations, and everything.”

Look at the old service station here, with its pumps no longer in operation because they no longer made money, and you can see what he means. The boarded-up buildings along the street say the same thing. So too do the worries in the group about the local schools disappearing through school consolidation.

I have been visiting coffee klatches and residents’ groups throughout the state of Wisconsin since 2007. I seek them out, in various types of places, to understand how they are making sense of politics. From the very beginning, the conversations in small communities like this one surprised me. I have heard time and time again about the struggle to make ends meet, and the lack of response from anyone with the power to make life better. I have heard men like Joe say those idiots who tell us to drive less have no clue what our lives are like.

These groups have a class analysis of what is going on in their country; and what’s going on is essentially about where things are going: to the cities.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jun/19/americas-great-fallout-rural-areas-resent-cities-republican-democrat

No idea how accurate this is - you guys will. Found it interesting enough to share though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: The great American fallout: how small towns came to resent cities
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:07:35 pm »
I was more/less taught from childhood, to deride big cities.

Our car was stolen from Cheyenne Frontier Days, and recovered in a crappy section of Denver, where you know who lives.

My opinion today, is a "place" needs population approaching 100,000 to get movies, shopping, etc.

Flagstaff, Prescott Tri-City, Saint George, Boise, Reno, San Luis Obispo, interest me.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:31:40 pm »
For decades economic policy has forced jobs and people to the big cities.

People are easier to control in the big city.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 04:52:45 pm »

Our car was stolen from Cheyenne Frontier Days, and recovered in a crappy section of Denver, where you know who lives.

My opinion today, is a "place" needs population approaching 100,000 to get movies, shopping, etc.

Flagstaff, Prescott Tri-City, Saint George, Boise, Reno, San Luis Obispo, interest me.

I don't "deride" big cities, but I don't like them much either.  Probably my Agoraphobia. 

You wouldn't like Prescott.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 04:59:01 pm »
I've lived in the 'big citeh' and oh yes love all the little amenities, but given our social and fiscal degradation of our nation, I don't want to be the one left out when the musical chairs stops.

I'll stay in the boring rural areas thanks.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 05:09:32 pm »
Less than 100 people in my small town.

I'm a small town snob and that's alright.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 05:11:31 pm »
I don't like either.

Cities - too many people.
Small towns - people are too damned nosy.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 05:56:38 pm »
The quiet shame of small towns is the illegal alien gangs out of Canada hanging around all the time.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 07:12:00 pm »
I don't "deride" big cities, but I don't like them much either.  Probably my Agoraphobia. 

You wouldn't like Prescott.
Why not? We have been there a few times, and liked the landscape, proximity to Sedona, Flagstaff, 4 seasons, size etc.

Plus I assume that politically it leans right, right?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 07:26:01 pm »
Why not? We have been there a few times, and liked the landscape, proximity to Sedona, Flagstaff, 4 seasons, size etc.

Plus I assume that politically it leans right, right?

It used to, but it's been taken over by California immigrants.

Added:  It's a dream of Mrs. Liberty's to move there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:28:33 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 07:38:24 pm »
It used to, but it's been taken over by California immigrants.

Added:  It's a dream of Mrs. Liberty's to move there.

We would be California immigrants, or migrants. I laugh at that. When I moved from Colorado to California as a kid, it was noteworthy to the other children. I was from a "cowboy" place. (my grandfather WAS a cowboy)

There are so many places that complain about Californians, we ought to be all drained of them here. Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, Arizona and Texas have complained.

MY SIL just moved from Flagstaff to Houston, for career and big house, Surely not for weather.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 08:01:57 pm »
We would be California immigrants, or migrants. I laugh at that. When I moved from Colorado to California as a kid, it was noteworthy to the other children. I was from a "cowboy" place. (my grandfather WAS a cowboy)

There are so many places that complain about Californians, we ought to be all drained of them here. Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, Arizona and Texas have complained.

MY SIL just moved from Flagstaff to Houston, for career and big house, Surely not for weather.

You'd be fine.  There's no way I could confuse you with a Jerry Brown type...lol.  We may have our differences, but we're easily in the "80-90% agree" zone.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 01:33:33 am »
truth_seeker wrote:
"My opinion today, is a "place" needs population approaching 100,000 to get movies, shopping, etc."

Movies?
Haven't been to one since 1993.
If I want to see an old movie, I can "find it" and watch right at home for a better experience.

Shopping?
Who needs that?
I've got amazon, I've got ebay, I've got newegg, and Walmart for local necessities.

As long as a town's just big enough for Dunkin' Donuts (and their coffee), that's fine with me.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 04:30:50 am »
truth_seeker wrote:
"My opinion today, is a "place" needs population approaching 100,000 to get movies, shopping, etc."

Movies?
Haven't been to one since 1993.
If I want to see an old movie, I can "find it" and watch right at home for a better experience.

Shopping?
Who needs that?
I've got amazon, I've got ebay, I've got newegg, and Walmart for local necessities.

As long as a town's just big enough for Dunkin' Donuts (and their coffee), that's fine with me.

Dinner and a movie is part of my 49 year marriage. We both watched our parents raise big families, but also keep regular "date nights."

So we copied them.

Online DB

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 05:59:41 am »

I've been in SLO county for 41 years and I'm working on leaving. The state has gone insane. Taxes are outrages. A basic house is $400k with an annual $4.4k a year in property taxes. A nicer house is $700k+ with $7.7k a year in property taxes. You'll pay about $1.7k a year in house insurance for that nicer house and that doesn't include earthquake insurance. A nice house is over a million dollars. My electricity costs essentially $0.40 a kwh. The gas tax just went up 12 cents a gallon and car registration just went up more than $100 a car (just the increase). Gun restrictions keep piling up. Crime is rapidly increasing. Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant is scheduled to close in about 9 years. It pumps in a billion dollars a year to the county. The county is going to take a big hit when it closes.

It is beautiful. I live up in the wooded hills. I'm less than 10 miles from the Pacific.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 02:56:59 pm »
I've been in SLO county for 41 years and I'm working on leaving. The state has gone insane. Taxes are outrages. A basic house is $400k with an annual $4.4k a year in property taxes. A nicer house is $700k+ with $7.7k a year in property taxes. You'll pay about $1.7k a year in house insurance for that nicer house and that doesn't include earthquake insurance. A nice house is over a million dollars. My electricity costs essentially $0.40 a kwh. The gas tax just went up 12 cents a gallon and car registration just went up more than $100 a car (just the increase). Gun restrictions keep piling up. Crime is rapidly increasing. Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant is scheduled to close in about 9 years. It pumps in a billion dollars a year to the county. The county is going to take a big hit when it closes.

It is beautiful. I live up in the wooded hills. I'm less than 10 miles from the Pacific.

You could settle somewhere in the Midwest after selling a house in Cali and build a mansion with sizable property around it. It's been done.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 03:00:19 pm »
You could settle somewhere in the Midwest after selling a house in Cali and build a mansion with sizable property around it. It's been done.

Yeah... Happens all the time up here in MT.. There's a thriving business selling 5 year old McMansions... because that's how long they usually last before they head back to CA.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:00:43 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 03:10:46 pm »
Yeah... Happens all the time up here in MT.. There's a thriving business selling 5 year old McMansions... because that's how long they usually last before they head back to CA.

Unfortunately ours seem here to stay. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 03:25:30 pm »
Unfortunately ours seem here to stay.

Sad for you that y'all don't have winter... Nothing cleans em out like 4 ft of snow and a month below -20F... Hippies, same thing...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 03:33:35 pm »
Sad for you that y'all don't have winter... Nothing cleans em out like 4 ft of snow and a month below -20F... Hippies, same thing...

True.  Winter would be preferable.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 03:37:01 pm »
Here's the thing about freedom:

1) Like cities? Live in a city.

2) Like suburbs? LIve in a suburb (I do)

3) like rural? Live in rural area.

You have to deal with the consequences of living in each. I'd love to live rural, but my industry is extremely prone to developing in large metro areas: technology. Yes there are exceptions, but for the most part, if you want a lot of opportunities, you need to live in metro or suburbs.

Don't live in shit-kicking rural area and complain about lack of amenities, slow internet, lack of opportunities. That's what makes it rural. If good jobs were to be found in rural areas, people would move to those areas and they would cease to become rural.

Trumpism has taught me one thing: it's not just liberals that are whiny little bitches.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 04:12:53 pm »
There's a saying in North Dakota: Winter clears the riff-raff out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 04:26:43 pm »

And it does.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 05:08:52 pm »

We had a similar saying in Texas before AC became so widespread.