Author Topic: Emerging solutions to the water challenges of an urbanizing world  (Read 494 times)

rangerrebew

Emerging solutions to the water challenges of an urbanizing world

Tove A. Larsen1,*, Sabine Hoffmann1, Christoph Lüthi1, Bernhard Truffer1,2, Max Maurer1,3

+ See all authors and affiliations
Science  20 May 2016:

The top priorities for urban water sustainability include the provision of safe drinking water, wastewater handling for public health, and protection against flooding. However, rapidly aging infrastructure, population growth, and increasing urbanization call into question current urban water management strategies, especially in the fast-growing urban areas in Asia and Africa. We review innovative approaches in urban water management with the potential to provide locally adapted, resource-efficient alternative solutions. Promising examples include new concepts for stormwater drainage, increased water productivity, distributed or on-site treatment of wastewater, source separation of human waste, and institutional and organizational reforms. We conclude that there is an urgent need for major transdisciplinary efforts in research, policy, and practice to develop alternatives with implications for cities and aquatic ecosystems alike.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/352/6288/928
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:25:09 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Emerging solutions to the water challenges of an urbanizing world
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 01:37:29 pm »
Back in the 70s when they were warning about the impending ice age they were also warning of the population explosion that would lead to vast mega cities. I saw maps showing 1 large city stretching from NY to Chicago with a population of over a billion people. They envisioned something out of Judge Dredd.

The reality of my back yard and I live about 70 miles west of Detroit in the middle of the vast mega city that was to exist by the year 2000. I live in the most heavily populated region of Michigan along the I-94 corridor.