Author Topic: Pablo Solomon’s Wicked Integration: A White Man’s Involvement in the Civil Rights Movement  (Read 464 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
By Te-Erika Patterson

Although Pablo Solomon is 65 years old, he isn’t ready for a life of retirement. You might find him canoodling with his wife Beverly in their spacious Texas ranch or creating stunning art and environmental design pieces that are celebrated internationally.

Before he achieved his life-long dream of creative and artistic freedom, Solomon joined the fight for the freedom and equality of blacks during the civil rights movement of the 1960s. During an era when blacks staged sit-ins in protest of unfair treatment and segregation, many believed that it was a case of black against white, but Solomon stepped across the line in support of equal treatment for all by working alongside those he felt had been treated unjustly.

“I was taught from childhood to judge people as individuals,” Solomon shares. “However, growing up in Texas in the time period that I did, there was segregation and even as a child I thought it was wrong.”

Solomon grew up in some of the poorest neighborhoods in Houston, Texas, where his family yearned to make it to a working-class neighborhood. His mother grew up picking cotton as a share cropper in south Texas, while his father’s family migrated from Lebanon to Mexico and then to Houston after fleeing devastating revolts....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/teerika-patterson/my-feeble-fight-for-civil-rights_b_4658875.html

Not sure how I arrived at HuffPo, but this is an interesting story.  Not what I thought it would be.