Author Topic: Student should have been allowed to graduate in uniform, school says  (Read 788 times)

rangerrebew

Student should have been allowed to graduate in uniform, school says
A high school senior was denied the opportunity to walk across the stage after officials learned he planned to wear his Army uniform

June 12, 2017

BRENTWOOD — A district superintendent for a high school that prevented a student from participating in graduation ceremonies apologized to him and his family on Saturday.

Harland Fletcher, a private first class reservist in the U.S. Army, skipped the Friday ceremonies at Liberty High School rather than cover his Army uniform with a cap and gown. The school initially informed him that he could not participate if he chose not to wear a cap and gown.

https://www.military1.com/military-career/article/1783869014-student-should-have-been-allowed-to-graduate-in-uniform-school-says/
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:53:46 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Student should have been allowed to graduate in uniform, school says
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:56:06 am »
I really doubt this was a "mistake."  More likely it was the result of education's PC, anti-gun culture where they thought a military uniform would promote gun violence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 10:23:26 am »
He's picking up his diploma Monday.

Might be a nice day out for the rest of his unit, no?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 03:10:44 pm »
He's picking up his diploma Monday.

Might be a nice day out for the rest of his unit, no?

The problem is the kid wanted to walk with his class but wasn't allowed to and the right of passage was lost.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 04:58:38 pm »
I really doubt this was a "mistake."  More likely it was the result of education's PC, anti-gun culture where they thought a military uniform would promote gun violence.

I disagree.
The uniform for the graduation ceremony was cap and gown.  If he wanted to wear his uniform, he could have done so under the cap and gown. 

rangerrebew

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 08:26:28 pm »
I disagree.
The uniform for the graduation ceremony was cap and gown.  If he wanted to wear his uniform, he could have done so under the cap and gown.

From the article: "It now appears the school made a mistake, and Liberty Union High School District Superintendent Eric Volta acknowledged it, saying a review of state law showed Fletcher was within his rights.

“It has become clear that Harland Fletcher may have the right to wear his U.S. Army Dress Uniform at his graduation, and on behalf of the Liberty Union High School District, I publicly apologize to him and his family for the incident,” Volta said in a statement released late Saturday and posted on the school’s website."

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 08:33:13 pm »
From the article: "It now appears the school made a mistake, and Liberty Union High School District Superintendent Eric Volta acknowledged it, saying a review of state law showed Fletcher was within his rights.

“It has become clear that Harland Fletcher may have the right to wear his U.S. Army Dress Uniform at his graduation, and on behalf of the Liberty Union High School District, I publicly apologize to him and his family for the incident,” Volta said in a statement released late Saturday and posted on the school’s website."

Guarantee you the superintendent knew this from the beginning. He knows his apology means nothing, and he got what he wanted - that this guy doesn't go across the stage in his uniform. He calculated better to ask forgiveness than permission, and he made his little political statement.
The Republic is lost.