Author Topic: Navy: 4 F/A-18 pilot deaths tied to oxygen system failures  (Read 797 times)

rangerrebew

Navy: 4 F/A-18 pilot deaths tied to oxygen system failures
The Navy said it now intends to look at all the oxygen system components on its jets

yesterday at 12:29 pm

WASHINGTON — Four pilot deaths have been tied to oxygen system failures in the cockpits of F/A-18 Hornets, the Navy revealed Thursday in an in-depth review of oxygen problems plaguing its fighter and trainer jets.

The review was launched in late March after instructor pilots at Navy training bases in Kingsville, Texas, Meridian, Miss., and Pensacola, Fla., refused to fly with students in T-45 trainer jets because “concern about contaminated breathing air reached a tipping point” after a sharp increase in the number of reported cases of hypoxia or related incidents. Hypoxia is when enough oxygen fails to reach body tissue and can lead to disorientation, loss of consciousness or death.

https://www.military1.com/misconduct-internal-affairs/article/1785036014-navy-4-fa-18-pilot-deaths-tied-to-oxygen-system-failures/
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:51:02 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Navy: 4 F/A-18 pilot deaths tied to oxygen system failures
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:57:03 am »
What gives? Didn't F-22s have a problem with this also?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 03:11:57 pm »
What gives? Didn't F-22s have a problem with this also?

The Navy trainers also have the problem.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 12:58:36 am »
The Navy trainers also have the problem.
Chinese components? Sensors? If they didn't have it before, what changed?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:59:02 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 08:02:18 am »
Chinese components? Sensors? If they didn't have it before, what changed?

The engines and the airframes. They're too efficient. You rely on the primary fans to compress the air up to roughly 20 PSI, then bleed some of that off as breathing air for the pilots. That in turn relies on the engine being inefficient enough to have an excess to bleed off in the first place. Which can't really happen because, in the interests of a low radar signature, the intakes are physically much smaller than formerly.

It's a catch 22. The plane can't perform to it's maximum because the pilot needs to breath.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 08:05:06 am »
The engines and the airframes. They're too efficient. You rely on the primary fans to compress the air up to roughly 20 PSI, then bleed some of that off as breathing air for the pilots. That in turn relies on the engine being inefficient enough to have an excess to bleed off in the first place. Which can't really happen because, in the interests of a low radar signature, the intakes are physically much smaller than formerly.

It's a catch 22. The plane can't perform to it's maximum because the pilot needs to breath.
I thought the trainers were older models. Have they been upgraded to the point where they can't put enough O2 in to the pilot? How about a small LOX tank to bleed supplemental O2 in from?

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 08:10:20 am »
I thought the trainers were older models. Have they been upgraded to the point where they can't put enough O2 in to the pilot? How about a small LOX tank to bleed supplemental O2 in from?

Don't know about the upgrades, but final training is done on the real deals.

I'll have to ask about the small tank - I know some aircraft have them already, but fighters - I doubt there's enough space to fit a shoe into their skin. See them with the panels off and they're virtually solid other than the fuel tanks themselves. It's gotten bad enough that some of the avionics are being mounted in the outer wings now since there's no where else to put them.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 08:16:09 am »
Don't know about the upgrades, but final training is done on the real deals.

I'll have to ask about the small tank - I know some aircraft have them already, but fighters - I doubt there's enough space to fit a shoe into their skin. See them with the panels off and they're virtually solid other than the fuel tanks themselves. It's gotten bad enough that some of the avionics are being mounted in the outer wings now since there's no where else to put them.
We used to find the old B-17/B-24 oxygen tanks washed up on shore that someone had bought up surplus and used as mooring bouys. That was a big score when we were kids...I wish I'd have kept half that stuff, but I don't know where I'd put it.

C S Lewis