Author Topic: First Ever Death Caused By Falling Space Debris Reported In Kazakhstan  (Read 957 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
A man from Kazakhstan has been killed as a result of a fire caused by falling space debris, and another hospitalized, in what may be the first such death ever reported.

The former has been named as Yuri Khatyushin, and the latter as Vyacheslav Tyts. They were part of a clean-up operation for the launch of a Russian Soyuz rocket on Wednesday, June 14. This had launched the Progress MS-06 cargo spacecraft from the Baikonur Cosmodrome towards the International Space Station (ISS).

Following the launch, some falling debris from the rocket appears to have started a fire on the Kazakh steppe when it crashed into the ground, according to the Kazakh Tengrinews website. Debris from Russian launches is purposefully left to fall onto the ground. The blaze was reported by AFP to have been 15 kilometers (9.5 miles) across.

The two men were employed by Russian rocket company NPO Mashinostroyeniya to clean up the debris from the rocket. But while attempting to extinguish the blaze, their truck was engulfed in flames due to a strong gust of wind.

A statement from NPO Mashinostroyeniya said the company “will provide all necessary assistance to the families of the deceased and the (injured) victim.” Tyts is currently being treated for his injuries in the town of Zhezkazgan.

More: http://www.iflscience.com/space/first-ever-death-caused-by-falling-space-debris-reported-in-kazakhstan/

It's a technicality, I know. Still not the sort of first you want to get.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
For all practical purposes, a Prairie fire. For those of us who know those, an elemental force of nature. They have wiped whole towns off the map in the States, just not recently.
No, not the most glorious way to go into the history books.  **nononono*
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:10:08 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis