Author Topic: Do states have a right to flout 2A entitlements based on 10th amendment stipulations?  (Read 35529 times)

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
'Not sure this is in the right category but the Mod Squad can move it of course if it's not.

This is a continuation of an exchange that started on the Scalise shooting thread that Mod2 locked because it had run its course.

When last we checked in on our hero (LFL) he was trying to get a substantive response from another poster who was seemingly being evasive. So let's join our fighters in the Arena of Ideas and may the best argument win. After moaning, kvetching, self-promoting and wallowing in both the role of aggrieved victim and of triumphant fearless upholder of Higher Standards in the face of laughably inferior people like me, (who disagree strongly with him), Jazzhead finally wrote:

"Federalism is not 'legalese'.  State sovereignty is not 'legalese'.  What is shocking is that so many so-called conservatives reject these concepts. 

Why should Pennsylvania be forced to adopt Texas' gun culture? "

LateForLunch responded:

"Putting aside legalistic argument of entitlements of government, it may be stipulated that the People have a right to the lowest possible violent crime rate. If it can be demonstrated that more prevalence of carrying of firearms by the general population has a direct effect of reducing the violent crime rate, then the People have a legal entitlement unless proscribed with specificity by law, to enjoy lower crime rates by virtue of the free and robust exercise of their entitlement to carry firearms.

If some of the citizens of one state or the other decide that they for whatever reason, want to restrict the ability of other free citizens to enjoy second amendment rights, then it is the ones seeking abridgement who acquire the burden of proof to enact a restriction on those rights, not the other way around.

And I get the idea about shouting being unnecessary, but I share the frustration with legalistic arguments which somehow seem to make the same case - that there exists in the Constitution some sort of (forgive me) "bitch's veto" embodied in states rights, wherein sovereignty issues somehow supersede Constitutional declarations whenever some grievance arises from disgruntled citizens with hoplophobic, Statist inclinations in regard to Constitutionally-cemented 2A freedoms."

Hitting my stopwatch and awaiting Jazzhead's substantive response NOW!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:09:07 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
The answer is very clear.  The 2nd Amendment states that the federal government may not abridge the pre-existing right of the people to keep and bear arms.  The 14th Amendment extended this proscription to state and local governments.  Therefore, there's nothing about "gun culture" to answer.  The question is, can either Pennsylvania or Texas restrict the right to keep and bear arms?  The answer is, "No."  End of story.  There's nothing to debate.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline thackney

My unanswered question from the same thread:

Quote from: Jazzhead on June 15, 2017, 05:05:17 PM
The issue is federalism.   The RKBA is not a right to open carry.  Each state can and does make that determination on its own.

I can see the argument (but not agree) that RKBA does not include conceal carry, but open carry and bear arms is one and the same.

Which rights in the first amendment do you find appropriate for a state to require a permit, fee and background check before a citizen can perform?

@Jazzhead
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:23:33 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
While I know I will regret posting on this thread...

Amendments and rights aren't absolute IMO, you don't have an absolute right to free speech (for example yelling fire in a crowded theater and all that). While I would consider myself a fairly strong supporter of gun rights, I don't have a problem with individual states setting their own regulations on them. Which does not mean i support or do not support any particular statewide restrictions on them.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
May the record show that (on the closed thread) I asked for a cite to any case in the last 200 years that holds that the RKBA precludes a state from regulating open carry.  None was provided.   

There is no such case.  States and localities have traditionally regulated whether an individual can openly carry a gun in the public square.  Such regulation has nothing to do with the RKBA's focus on self-defense, especially in the home. 

There is no right or wrong answer about what produces the "lowest crime rate".   That's a policy decision to be made at the local level.  It is hardly unconstitutional for a state to conclude that it doesn't want its streets to resemble the Wild West.   

And it is NOT conservative to insist on a federal law that would undercut the states' sovereignty to decide for themselves whether to permit open carry in the public square.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline thackney

May the record show that (on the closed thread) I asked for a cite to any case in the last 200 years that holds that the RKBA precludes a state from regulating open carry.  None was provided.   

There is no such case.  States and localities have traditionally regulated whether an individual can openly carry a gun in the public square.  Such regulation has nothing to do with the RKBA's focus on self-defense, especially in the home. 

There is no right or wrong answer about what produces the "lowest crime rate".   That's a policy decision to be made at the local level.  It is hardly unconstitutional for a state to conclude that it doesn't want its streets to resemble the Wild West.   

And it is NOT conservative to insist on a federal law that would undercut the states' sovereignty to decide for themselves whether to permit open carry in the public square.

And at one time slavery was legally supported as well, until enough people stood up and fought that surpression of liberty.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
“Every Person has the right to keep  and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.”

Michigan Constitution, Art 1, Sec. 6

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
And at one time slavery was legally supported as well, until enough people stood up and fought that surpression of liberty.

It is not a "suppression of liberty" to be subject to laws you don't like.  Work at the state and local level to change such laws.  What I oppose is the decidedly un-Conservative attempt to impose a federal law on the states that usurps their sovereignty and requires all states to conform to Texas-style gun culture. 

Conservatives,  I've always been led to believe, supported federalism and state sovereignty, especially with respect to the health and safety of their citizens.   Sure, the Second Amendment protects our individual rights as citizens  of the nation, but two centuries of jurisprudence have NEVER found that the states are prohibited from regulating open carry in the public square.   
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:45:56 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
It is not a "suppression of liberty" to be subject to laws you don't like.  Work at the state and local level to change such laws.  What I oppose is the decidedly un-Conservative attempt to impose a federal law on the states that usurps their sovereignty and requires all states to conform to Texas-style gun culture.

I'm going to call you on one point. The so-called "Wild West" was not a place of excessive violence because of open-carry of firearms, but rather because scarcity and reliability of ethical, fair law enforcement personnel required that people without professional training or direct oversight/ accountability  enforced the law themselves in posses
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I'm going to call you on one point. The so-called "Wild West" was not a place of excessive violence because of open-carry of firearms, but rather because scarcity and reliability of ethical, fair law enforcement personnel required that people without professional training or direct oversight/ accountability  enforced the law themselves in posses

I don't care that you defend the Wild West.  The point is that the States have the sovereignty to decide whether to permit open carry.  Good policy or bad policy isn't the point.  It is the inherent right of the State to determine their own laws affecting public safety (ALWAYS a traditional state function) that is at issue.

BTW, it is refreshing to take the conservative position against a phalanx of liberals!    :tongue2:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:50:33 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
I don't care that you defend the Wild West.  The point is that the States have the sovereignty to decide whether to permit open carry.  Good policy or bad policy isn't the point.  It is the inherent right of the State to determine their own laws affecting public safety (ALWAYS a traditional state function) that is at issue.

BTW, it is refreshing to take the conservative position against a phalanx of liberals!    :tongue2:

The next time you do that will be the first.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

But it is your hypocrisy on the subject of federalism that has me laughing my ass off at you.  Because you steadfastly insist upon IMPOSING San-Francisco/Californication homosexual culture upon rural and God-fearing Christians with a gun pointed to our heads and our businesses and liberty forfeit if we do not violate our consciences and religion in order to serve, promote and celebrate homosexuality.

So you can pound sand on your insipid and stupid assertions about your fidelity to 'federalism'.   

You believe in no such thing unless it is to IMPOSE liberal/deviancy.

Which is what we have come to expect from your discourse.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 06:58:50 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The point is that the States have the sovereignty to decide whether to permit open carry.  Good policy or bad policy isn't the point.  It is the inherent right of the State to determine their own laws affecting public safety (ALWAYS a traditional state function) that is at issue.

The point is which you vehemently disagree with convoluted twists of logic, is that the States have the sovereignty to decide whether or not to recognize homosexual marriages or to make abortion illegal. It is the inherent right of the State to determine their own laws recognizing and condoning perverted behaviors as protected castes that is at issue.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Jazzhead
You're not advocating for states rights, your advocating against the second amendment.   HUGE Difference.    You don't advocate that the states should be allowed to ignore Federal Gun Laws do you?   No you only advocate for States when it allows greater restrictions then the federal laws.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

@Jazzhead
Which rights in the first amendment do you find appropriate for a state to require a permit, fee and background check before a citizen can perform?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The answer is very clear.  The 2nd Amendment states that the federal government may not abridge the pre-existing right of the people to keep and bear arms.  The 14th Amendment extended this proscription to state and local governments.  Therefore, there's nothing about "gun culture" to answer.  The question is, can either Pennsylvania or Texas restrict the right to keep and bear arms?  The answer is, "No."  End of story.  There's nothing to debate.

B I N G O ! ! !   888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The next time you do that will be the first.

LOL!  QFT!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
For me it is simple, the 2nd was strongly worded "shall not be infringed" for a very direct reason, the framers didn't mince words. This renting your right to carry in some states is an abridgement to rights of American citizens.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
For me it is simple, the 2nd was strongly worded "shall not be infringed" for a very direct reason, the framers didn't mince words. This renting your right to carry in some states is an abridgement to rights of American citizens.

I don't know how they could have stated it any more clearly.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

JH's position on this subject is akin to justifying a state's restrictions on any political speech or expression in public that is favorable of Trump or Conservatives, because in his twisted view of logic, mandating equal application of the 1st Amendment "usurps their sovereignty and requires all states to conform to red-state-style Conservative culture. 

He is only for Federalism when it restricts gun rights, imposes homosexual acceptance and mandates access to abortion upon the people.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:20:56 pm by INVAR »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I must have missed something.  Did somebody die and leave to you the right to declare what is "conservative?"  This is where you skate on the thinnest of ice, @Jazzhead.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I must have missed something.  Did somebody die and leave to you the right to declare what is "conservative?"  This is where you skate on the thinnest of ice, @Jazzhead.

There's no shortage of loudmouths on this forum who consider themselves the authority on what or what isn't conservative.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

And how does one define arms? Does it include shoulder-fired missiles? Because as said, Scalia questioned that. Or would we be talking about the muskets they had in the days of Thomas Jefferson? Is it a question of Constitutional originalism? Constructionist?  So, one should be able to walk the streets with a sub-machine gun?

Offline skeeter

Correct.

There isn't a better example than this of how it is in the interest of some to obfuscate and confuse what is a very clear, unambiguous concept. As long as confusion reigns they are able to set themselves up as the arbiters and final word on whats true. And that suits the 'progressive' just fine.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

:bullie smokin:

Good answer.