Author Topic: Why is cladding banned in the US and Germany used on buildings in the UK?  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Thanks!  We take great pride in our monster beer coolers...I mean refrigerators.   888high58888
@EC I thought you folks drank it warm, which would negate the need for so much fridge. :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
One would fill my kitchen - kitchen is 10' x 16'
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DB

A mix of propane and isobutane. About 95% of the fridges in the UK run that coolant mix. Since our fridges and freezers are much smaller (it's not that we chill less stuff, it's that most homes don't have the physical space for the monsters you guys use) the amount of gas involved is tiny. Throw in that our houses are much less of a fire hazard to begin with - it's all brick, cement block, or precast concrete construction with tile or slate roofs - and it's not a huge risk.

The risk is the gas leaking into the refrigerator's inside cabinet where things are cooled. They are pretty air tight to maintain efficiency. That means the gas doesn't dissipate quickly and waits for an ignition source. Then it goes boom. If the gas leaked into the open space of the house, it is much less likely to a major fireball due to the limited amount of gas.

It was reported that a refrigerator exploded causing the fire. Unless they were making meth it would seem likely the source of the fire was the refrigerant.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It happens - rarely. Between 2006 and 2009 4 fridges exploded. (only time period I could find figures for). Our fridge linings are one piece solid casts, and the coolant pipes are embedded in the solid insulation - no cracks for the gas to seep in through unless the owner damages the fridge in use.

Still a stupid idea to use flammables as coolants.  :shrug:

Online DB

It happens - rarely. Between 2006 and 2009 4 fridges exploded. (only time period I could find figures for). Our fridge linings are one piece solid casts, and the coolant pipes are embedded in the solid insulation - no cracks for the gas to seep in through unless the owner damages the fridge in use.

I don't know, how many exploding refrigerators does it take? Especially considering there are simple alternatives short of what the enviro-nuts want.

Offline Smokin Joe

The risk is the gas leaking into the refrigerator's inside cabinet where things are cooled. They are pretty air tight to maintain efficiency. That means the gas doesn't dissipate quickly and waits for an ignition source. Then it goes boom. If the gas leaked into the open space of the house, it is much less likely to a major fireball due to the limited amount of gas.

It was reported that a refrigerator exploded causing the fire. Unless they were making meth it would seem likely the source of the fire was the refrigerant.
For it to burn, it has to be in the right concentration range.  Between 2.1 and 9.5% in air for propane, according to https://www.mathesongas.com/pdfs/products/Lower-(LEL)-&-Upper-(UEL)-Explosive-Limits-.pdf
Isobutane between 1.8 and 8.4%.
That's a fairly narrow flammable range for either gas.
The mix would have to be just right, neither too rich, nor too lean, at the time an ignition source was present (spark or open flame) to burn.  For it to explode violently, the mix would fall into even narrower ranges.

When the guy I know who used propane for a refrigerant in his Tractor AC did so, he took that into account as well, because any coolant leaks would be to atmosphere outside the cab, and the likelihood of that being ignited on a diesel tractor was very low in the event of a leak.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Out of how many fridges? 

Not  a huge risk for any one individual door opening event, kinda like winning the lottery. Still, it happens. Is your tort law more constrained than it is in the US in terms or allowed recovery of punitive and compensatory damages and damages for 'pain and suffering'?

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Out of how many fridges? 

Not  a huge risk for any one individual door opening event, kinda like winning the lottery. Still, it happens. Is your tort law more constrained than it is in the US in terms or allowed recovery of punitive and compensatory damages and damages for 'pain and suffering'?

We don't allow people to seek damages for pain and suffering, nor are individuals allowed to seek punitive damages. They may be awarded at the discretion of the judge, but they may not be sought.

On the homeowner level (Rental is different) for something like an exploding fridge, you talk to your house insurance. They sue the manufacturer (or contractor or whatever) while your house is being fixed.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Adding one correction - punitive damages may be sought for malicious actions.

Offline Smokin Joe

Adding one correction - punitive damages may be sought for malicious actions.
Well, there's the difference. In the States, 'victims' would be suing everyone from the manufacturer to the architect, the contractor(s), whoever signed off on whatever (if not covered by sovereign immunity clauses) and the settlements would likely be the end of the companies involved, especially in a situation like this.

Malice would be really tough to prove versus ignorance, or negligence--especially if what was done complied with building codes.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Thanks!  We take great pride in our monster beer coolers...I mean refrigerators.   888high58888

@Cyber Liberty  @EC

Something the UK knows nothing about!   :thud: :thud:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
An interesting development:

Grenfell Tower cladding is banned in UK, Government says

The cladding used to insulate Grenfell Tower, widely blamed for spreading the devastating blaze, is banned in Britain, Philip Hammond has said.

The Chancellor said a criminal investigation would examine whether building regulations had been violated when the block underwent an extensive renovation that was concluded last year.

But a firm involved in the renovation of the tower denied that the cladding was banned and said building regulations allowed it for use in low-rise and high-rise developments.

Mr Hammond insisted the Government had acted on safety recommendations after an earlier fire in London in 2009, but it would wait for the public inquiry's findings before making any changes in regulation.

Although a planning application for the refurbishment of Grenfell Tower approved the use of Reynobond/Reynolux cladding, it did not appear to specify the use of the fire resistant version of the panels.

http://news.sky.com/story/grenfell-tower-cladding-is-banned-in-uk-government-says-10919319

If true - Hammond is so full of shit he squeaks, so who the hell knows right now - heads WILL be on pikes for this.

Offline Smokin Joe

Although a planning application for the refurbishment of Grenfell Tower approved the use of Reynobond/Reynolux cladding, it did not appear to specify the use of the fire resistant version of the panels.

If true - Hammond is so full of shit he squeaks, so who the hell knows right now - heads WILL be on pikes for this.
The only question is one of whose heads will be on the pikes when the smoke clears.

From the images of the flats they showed in another article, that was practically a blast furnace inside. The recovery teams are likely sifting for teeth and bits of bone, and the teeth may even be fragmented. Identification will be tough indeed.

There is no worse feeling as a firefighter than knowing there are people inside you can't help. Prayers up for the firefighters and medics, too.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:11:15 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis