Author Topic: NETFLIX SUBSCRIPTIONS HAVE SURPASSED CABLE TV IN THE U.S.  (Read 3076 times)

Online kevindavis007

NETFLIX SUBSCRIPTIONS HAVE SURPASSED CABLE TV IN THE U.S.
« on: June 15, 2017, 05:40:32 pm »

For years, streaming services like Netflix and Hulu have been eating away at the cable television industry, as cord-cutters realize they can get much of the same content (and more) in affordable, convenient ways. Now that we all have screens in our pockets (and in our backpacks, briefcases, and purses), watching live TV has become a burden, with lots of our favorite shows available for instantaneous viewing.

On Wednesday, an article published by Statista reinforces the notion that Netflix could singlehandedly spell doom for the archaic cable paradigm. According to the chart, the DVD delivery service-turned-streaming heavyweight now boasts 50.9 million subscribers — more than the 48.6 million customers currently subscribed to major cable TV companies, per Leichtman Research Group (these “major cable TV companies” include Comcast, Charter, Altice, Mediacom, CableOne, and Cox, together making up 95 percent of the cable market).

Although that 48.6 million number does not include subscribers to satellite TV companies like Dish Network or internet TV services like Sling (in total, there are nearly 100 million subscribers to paid TV services), it still paints a vivid picture of the shifting entertainment landscape, as more and more viewers turn to streaming solutions for access to their favorite content. Curiously, Netflix’s rise seems to be largely self-sustained and not simply a product of cord-cutting: While Netflix’s subscription numbers have skyrocketed by 27 million since the first quarter of 2012, cable subscriptions have only dropped by 4 million in the same window, which is not catastrophic by any means.

It is possible that Netflix’s growth is partially due to its ever-growing library of Netflix Original shows and movies, many of which have earned critical acclaim, and none of which are available anywhere outside the platform. Given the staggering rate at which Netflix commissions new content (and the varied selection of actors and directors that have worked with the company), it is difficult to envision it slowing down anytime soon.

Source: https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/netflix-bigger-than-cable-tv/
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Wingnut

Re: NETFLIX SUBSCRIPTIONS HAVE SURPASSED CABLE TV IN THE U.S.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 06:20:12 pm »
I really like netflix.  I wish them all the best in their quest to kick big cable's dick in the dirt and do a number six dance on it.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 06:33:13 pm »
I really like netflix.  I wish them all the best in their quest to kick big cable's dick in the dirt and do a number six dance on it.

:amen:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 06:37:02 pm »

I love Netflix too. I watch most of my tv from it.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:23:57 pm »
Love it. It also means CNN, MSNBC, and all the other major networks should be quaking in their boots. The achilles heel of big media is it takes big money to run them, and for much of which cable serves as the workhorse for their platform to net those advertising dollars. More households cutting the cord means less audience to justify big ad money, which ultimately crimps media operating budgets.

By forcing change in the entertainment industry, it's going to force the media industry to change, and the internet is a far more level playing field out there.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:24:49 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 07:53:36 pm »

If you have a capable streaming device, take a look at all of the material on YouTube.

I have listened to a few episodes by Bill O'Reilly and Dick Morris.

It won't cost too much, to arrange a 24/7 YouTube Channel, of individuals like this.

Just like Netflix pioneered their thing, Uber pioneered their thing, Amazon pioneered their thing, I expect streaming political news to arrive in the big time, fairly soon.

Maybe Sinclair/Tribune/Circa (which is conceived for mobile)

To succeed they need all or most transmission methods; e.g. OTA/cable/streaming video/Mobile formatted
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:31:57 pm »
Netflix has some of my favorite classic TV shows and some darn good original shows.  Binge watched The Crown not long ago. Quite good.  Waiting for the next season.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:59:46 pm »
If you have a capable streaming device, take a look at all of the material on YouTube.

I have listened to a few episodes by Bill O'Reilly and Dick Morris.

It won't cost too much, to arrange a 24/7 YouTube Channel, of individuals like this.

Just like Netflix pioneered their thing, Uber pioneered their thing, Amazon pioneered their thing, I expect streaming political news to arrive in the big time, fairly soon.

Maybe Sinclair/Tribune/Circa (which is conceived for mobile)

To succeed they need all or most transmission methods; e.g. OTA/cable/streaming video/Mobile formatted

I'm waiting for a lot of Sports to stream.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 12:09:05 am »

I'm waiting for a lot of Sports to stream.
Near the end was last year's Super Bowl. I still had frontier Fios cable TV, but also OTA antenna and internet.

One streaming channel on the internet only lasted half way, but another lasted the entire game.

The fact I has so many ways to watch the game, completely sealed the deal to cut the cable.

Then some volunteer help placed my antenna higher, which yielded several other HD OTA channels.

My wife suffers a bit because she lost a couple of things, but she didn't complain.

I pay for SlingTV, Netflix and Amazon. thinking of trying DirectTV Now as a substitute for Sling but my daughter has enjoyed Stations on Sling quite a bit.

I am durious about another emerging option, called TickBox and others which seem to be like it.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 12:20:20 am »
Near the end was last year's Super Bowl. I still had frontier Fios cable TV, but also OTA antenna and internet.

One streaming channel on the internet only lasted half way, but another lasted the entire game.

The fact I has so many ways to watch the game, completely sealed the deal to cut the cable.

Then some volunteer help placed my antenna higher, which yielded several other HD OTA channels.

My wife suffers a bit because she lost a couple of things, but she didn't complain.

I pay for SlingTV, Netflix and Amazon. thinking of trying DirectTV Now as a substitute for Sling but my daughter has enjoyed Stations on Sling quite a bit.

I am durious about another emerging option, called TickBox and others which seem to be like it.

We had DirectTv, but we where paying to much for stations wasn't watching (like the RFD station or some shopping channel).

Right now I pay for SlingTV, Hulu, and Amazon. Once  Hulu Live is on the Amazon Fire, I might try that.

Made the mistake of getting a Smart TV... Hasn't been updated in two years.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:22:55 am by kevindavis »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 12:29:53 am »

I have used Rokus. That way the less expensive streaming device is independent of the far more expensive TV.

BTW I have a Roku 3 with earbuds. I can put a program on, lay down, turn the TV set completely off, and let the program audio put me to sleep.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 12:33:29 am »
I have used Rokus. That way the less expensive streaming device is independent of the far more expensive TV.

BTW I have a Roku 3 with earbuds. I can put a program on, lay down, turn the TV set completely off, and let the program audio put me to sleep.

At first we had the Roku 2, but we got the Amazon Fire and love it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 01:07:33 am »

I purposefully broke the smart side of my tv. Gave it a fixed IP that goes nowhere.
Then I bought a used computer with onboard HDMI for 25 bucks, and plugged it in.
I have no idea why anyone would do differently.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 01:14:39 am »

We are using rokus. I watch a lot of Youtube with it on the tv. Netflix and Amazon. More than we need, but the Prime discounts have probably paid for the service.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 01:24:16 am »
I have a smart tv, two apple tv's, and 1 google chromecast.

Smart TV software is the flakiest IMO.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 01:30:48 am »
I have a smart tv, two apple tv's, and 1 google chromecast.

Smart TV software is the flakiest IMO.

How is the Chromecast??

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 01:36:37 am »

How is the Chromecast??

Very good. It's tiny. My wife watches it a lot. You control it with your phone.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 01:45:32 am »
Very good. It's tiny. My wife watches it a lot. You control it with your phone.

Nice!!!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 01:45:41 am »
Is anyone here streaming 4k content? (movies, etc.)
If so, what is your hardware/software arrangement?

Offline thackney

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 01:48:54 am »
If you have a capable streaming device, take a look at all of the material on YouTube

I wish there was better options for rural internet.  30 GB isn't much for a family for a month.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online DB

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 01:58:30 am »
I wish there was better options for rural internet.  30 GB isn't much for a family for a month.

If there is high speed cable within 15 or so miles and there is a shot at line of sight between repeaters to where you are, it is the only thing that has a shot at working pretty well. High speed radios with built in antenna are cheap (around $55 each). They have a range of at least 10 miles and you can use them as repeaters. They key is line of sight between points and having power available.

Online DB

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2017, 02:02:30 am »

Amazon's Top Gear may have been 4k. Any smart TV that supports 4k can stream it directly (doesn't require another box). The key is high speed Internet, typically cable based. I think they recommend 25 Mbps minimum for 4k.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 02:29:05 am »

Who needs 4k when you have a $17 32" Sony Trinitron?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline thackney

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 12:21:31 pm »
If there is high speed cable within 15 or so miles and there is a shot at line of sight between repeaters to where you are, it is the only thing that has a shot at working pretty well. High speed radios with built in antenna are cheap (around $55 each). They have a range of at least 10 miles and you can use them as repeaters. They key is line of sight between points and having power available.

It would require 100 foot tower to get over the thick trees.  We looked at using Skynet.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer