Author Topic: Dakota Access pipeline: judge rules environmental survey was inadequate  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Suppressed

Dakota Access pipeline: judge rules environmental survey was inadequate
In what’s being hailed a ‘significant victory’ for pipeline’s opponents, a judge said he would consider whether operations must halt until assessment is redone
Associated Press  Wednesday 14 June 2017 22.03 EDT
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/14/dakota-access-pipeline-environmental-study-inadequate

A federal judge has handed a lifeline to efforts to block the Dakota Access pipeline, ruling Wednesday that the US Army Corps of Engineers did not adequately consider the possible impacts of an oil spill where the pipeline passes under the Missouri River.

US district judge James Boasberg said in a 91-page decision that the corps failed to take into account how a spill might affect “fishing rights, hunting rights, or environmental justice, or the degree to which the pipeline’s effects are likely to be highly controversial”.

The judge said the army must redo its environmental analysis in certain sections and he would consider later whether the pipeline must halt operations in the meantime. A status conference is scheduled for next week.

Excerpt.  Read more at https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/14/dakota-access-pipeline-environmental-study-inadequate
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
A little late for that now.

Appeal this ruling, pronto, and "push it upwards" as far as necessary.

Offline Just_Victor

So, the Army Corp of Engineers environmental impact study didn't adequately consider how a spill might effect "environmental justice?"

What does that even mean?
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So, the Army Corp of Engineers environmental impact study didn't adequately consider how a spill might effect "environmental justice?"

What does that even mean?
It means the liberals didn't like the outcome.

The pipeline is 90 feet below the bottom of the lake. In a tunnel drilled for the purpose of keeping the pipeline away from the water for the foreseeable future, even if the dam was breached and the river back in its original channel. Short of nuclear war or a cosmic impact or a liberal judge, it should never have a problem getting oil safely through the pipe in the tunnel.

If the first two happen, we'll have other problems to contend with. The latter is the greatest danger to oil moving safely through the pipeline, because they'll shut it down even if there is nothing wrong.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:53:15 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

This judge was appointed by 0bama and confirmed by every republican in the senate. It was a 96-0 vote, so maybe 4 did not vote for him but were absent or did not vote.

On June 17, 2010, President Barack Obama formally nominated Boasberg to the District Court for the District of Columbia.[8] Boasberg was confirmed on March 14, 2011 by a vote of 96 ayes to 0 nays.[12] He received his commission on March 17, 2011.[9]

Offline thackney

A little late for that now.

Appeal this ruling, pronto, and "push it upwards" as far as necessary.

Exactly.  The environmental study has a long and extensive public review process.  It is done.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Exactly.  The environmental study has a long and extensive public review process.  It is done.

Don't worry...  some liberal Federal Court Judge will throw an injunction.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

Day late a dollar short. This ruling isn't worth the paper this Commie Pinko used.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Day late a dollar short. This ruling isn't worth the paper this Commie Pinko used.

Some liberal fed judge with throw an injunction based on some overlooked Environmental Justice statute. 

Esp. in the past 10 years or so, wording of these have been made vague enough to favor the activists.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It's full out war at this point. 

I thought I'd better come back and add to that statement.  What I meant was that the left is engaged in full-out war against America.  Pulling out all stops from the Antifas to unethical judges to angry politicians.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:38:11 pm by Sanguine »

Offline the_doc

US district judge James Boasberg said in a 91-page decision that the corps failed to take into account how a spill might affect “fishing rights, hunting rights, or environmental justice, or the degree to which the pipeline’s effects are likely to be highly controversial”.

Okay, so now self-righteous progressives are styling their cause as environmental justice.  And they seem to be tipping their hand of monstrous social and judicial stupidity by expanding the regulatory requirement of environmental impact statements to include the possibility that someone in that "environmental justice" movement might get upset.

(The judge's environmental concerns apparently center on the potential for the project to melt snowflakes.  [I guess that's a global warming thing, too.])

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Okay, so now self-righteous progressives are styling their cause as environmental justice.  And they seem to be tipping their hand of monstrous social and judicial stupidity by expanding the regulatory requirement of environmental impact statements to include the possibility that someone in that "environmental justice" movement might get upset.

(The judge's environmental concerns apparently center on the potential for the project to melt snowflakes.  [I guess that's a global warming thing, too.])
What "fishing rights" What "hunting rights"? Those aren't affected inland, they aren't affected by a pipe 90 feet below the bottom of the lake. The shoreline is controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers, and they have told people who retained their land when the reservoir went in that they have no right during periods of low water to go onto old homesteads on land they own and recover any 'artifact', because those (ancestors' property) are now the property of and under the control of the Corps.

This ruling is horse manure, and the judge is the source, with all that implies about the judge.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What "fishing rights" What "hunting rights"? Those aren't affected inland, they aren't affected by a pipe 90 feet below the bottom of the lake. The shoreline is controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers, and they have told people who retained their land when the reservoir went in that they have no right during periods of low water to go onto old homesteads on land they own and recover any 'artifact', because those (ancestors' property) are now the property of and under the control of the Corps.

This ruling is horse manure, and the judge is the source, with all that implies about the judge.

Yes, it's very similar to rulings on Trump's travel ban by judges using fallacious reasoning and dubious jurisdictional authority.  They are at war with us.  What's the saying: "you may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you"?