Author Topic: Hydroelectric dams may jeopardize the Amazon's future  (Read 603 times)

rangerrebew

Hydroelectric dams may jeopardize the Amazon's future
« on: June 15, 2017, 12:15:05 pm »
Hydroelectric dams may jeopardize the Amazon's future
June 14, 2017

Hundreds of built and proposed hydroelectric dams may significantly harm life in and around the Amazon by trapping the flow of rich nutrients and modifying the climate from Central America to the Gulf of Mexico. These findings, published in Nature, emerge from a multidisciplinary, international collaboration of researchers from 10 universities, led by scientists at The University of Texas at Austin.

To meet energy needs, economic developers in South America have proposed 428 hydroelectric dams, with 140 currently built or under construction, in the Amazon basin—the largest and most complex network of river channels in the world, which sustains the highest biodiversity on Earth. The rivers and surrounding forests are the source of 20 percent of the planet's fresh water and valuable ingredients used in modern medicine.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-hydroelectric-jeopardize-amazon-future.html#jCp

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Hydroelectric dams may jeopardize the Amazon's future
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 12:29:51 pm »
Shouldn't we let the people that live there determine what to do with the Amazon.   Isn't the force the environmentalists and lefties want to use to keep them in the dark ages a form of cultural appropriation?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 01:07:36 pm »
Shouldn't we let the people that live there determine what to do with the Amazon.   Isn't the force the environmentalists and lefties want to use to keep them in the dark ages a form of cultural appropriation?

Excellent point.   

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 01:26:52 pm »

Tragedy of the Commons.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 03:21:57 pm »
 888ohnoes