Author Topic: A spy satellite buzzed the space station this month, and no one knows why  (Read 1199 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
About six weeks ago, SpaceX launched a spy satellite into low Earth orbit from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center. As is normal for National Reconnaissance Office launches, not much information was divulged about the satellite's final orbit or its specific purpose in space. However, a dedicated group of ground-based observers continued to track the satellite after it reached outer space.

Then something curious happened. In early June, the satellite made an extremely close pass to the International Space Station. One of the amateur satellite watchers, Ted Molczan, estimated the pass on June 3 to be 4.4km directly above the station. Another, Marco Langbroek, pegged the distance at 6.4km. "I am inclined to believe that the close conjunctions between USA 276 and ISS are intentional, but this remains unproven and far from certain," Molczan later wrote.

In recent days, Ars has run these observations by several officials and informed sources. They are credible, these officials say, and curious indeed. "This is strange," said one astronaut who has commanded the International Space Station. "I don't really believe in coincidences. But I can't really think of anything that would be worth highlighting a close approach."

More: https://arstechnica.co.uk/science/2017/06/a-spy-satellite-buzzed-the-space-station-this-month-and-no-one-knows-why/
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Porthole peekers at the NSA?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Porthole peekers at the NSA?

Why bother? The internal cameras run 24/7.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

Why bother? The internal cameras run 24/7.
Ambience?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

Testing their new toy?

Or maybe there's something on the station that they wanted detailed pictures of. Something they don't want to alarm the crew about.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Peeping tom nerds hoping to get some hot lady astronaut n00dz?

That's my guess.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
"Buzzed" the station?

:silly:

Offline Smokin Joe

"Buzzed" the station?

:silly:
"Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full..."

C S Lewis