Author Topic: Cladding added to Grenfell Tower to ‘improve view for nearby luxury flats’  (Read 977 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Controversial cladding was added to Grenfell Tower in part to improve the view for nearby luxury flats.

According to planning documents for the tower block, which were seen in the wake of the devastating blaze, the cladding was partly designed to improve the building’s appearance for wealthier neighbours.

Grenfell Tower was built in 1974 and housed low-income families in Latimer Road, North Kensington.

When it was refurbished, at a cost of £8.6m, plastic cladding was installed on the outside of the building.

Planning documents said the appearance of the high-rise building – which is visible across the borough – should be improved.

It read: ‘The changes to the existing tower will improve its appearance especially when viewed from the surrounding area.’

The document makes repeated reference to the ‘appearance of the area’, according to the Independent.
Death toll from Grenfell Tower fire set to rise significantly

It has now been suggested that the added cladding exacerbated the spread of the flames which have killed at least 12 people.

Arnold Tarling, from property company Hindwoods, said cladding creates 25mm-30mm cavities between the buildings insulation.

More: http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/14/cladding-added-to-grenfell-tower-to-improve-view-for-nearby-luxury-flats-6709369/

Told you.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You called it. Apparently the cladding created a flue between the building and the cladding.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

You called it. Apparently the cladding created a flue between the building and the cladding.

And fuel...

Offline Smokin Joe

And fuel...
Yep, a basic blast furnace setup all over the outside of the building with toxic fumes to boot. Lovely view, though--oh, not. I hope the investigation takes a while so the neighbors get a good look at what their fickle natures have wrought..

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

Yep, a basic blast furnace setup all over the outside of the building with toxic fumes to boot. Lovely view, though--oh, not. I hope the investigation takes a while so the neighbors get a good look at what their fickle natures have wrought..

I don't know that I'd place blame on the neighbors for wanting it to look better. Good aesthetics doesn't need to lead to it being a firebomb. You'd expect the engineers/professionals to do it right and not create a death trap. It doesn't take that much foresight to not wrap a high rise in highly combustible materials complete with internal air feeders...

This is going to become a case study on what not to do on several fronts. A high price to relearn basic fire control principles.

Offline Smokin Joe

I don't know that I'd place blame on the neighbors for wanting it to look better. Good aesthetics doesn't need to lead to it being a firebomb. You'd expect the engineers/professionals to do it right and not create a death trap. It doesn't take that much foresight to not wrap a high rise in highly combustible materials complete with internal air feeders...

This is going to become a case study on what not to do on several fronts. A high price to relearn basic fire control principles.
I will wait for the investigation and the results. It is admittedly speculation to say that someone squeezed the money out of somewhere to wrap an aging building with pretty, while apparently leaving critical fire suppression systems to go to pot. Likely this was an unanticipated result, and I expect the investigation to be a muddle of finger pointing and excuses. Behind it all, though, it appears someone or a group of someones placed a priority of having the building look better over it getting critical repairs needed for safety.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

I will wait for the investigation and the results. It is admittedly speculation to say that someone squeezed the money out of somewhere to wrap an aging building with pretty, while apparently leaving critical fire suppression systems to go to pot. Likely this was an unanticipated result, and I expect the investigation to be a muddle of finger pointing and excuses. Behind it all, though, it appears someone or a group of someones placed a priority of having the building look better over it getting critical repairs needed for safety.

From reports it sounds like they spent about $100k per flat on renovations. It is hard to believe that all that was only spent on the exterior. But who knows... As you say, we'll have to wait for the analysis of what actually happened and why.

Using a highly flammable gas for refrigerant in household refrigerators seems like a really stupid thing to do too. They say well you have a gas stove, etc, but the pressure is much, much higher in the compressor and therefore likely to leak. In addition the refrigerator is designed to be air tight, fill that with butane gas and it stays there until the door is opened or ignited... Open the door with a cigarette/joint and BOOM. And for what? So some eco-warrior feels better.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:56:54 am by DB »

Offline Smokin Joe

From reports it sounds like they spent about $100k per flat on renovations. It is hard to believe that all that was only spent on the exterior. But who knows... As you say, we'll have to wait for the analysis of what actually happened and why.

Using a highly flammable gas for refrigerant in household refrigerators seems like a really stupid thing to do too. They say well you have a gas stove, etc, but the pressures is much, much higher in the compressor and therefore likely to leak. In addition the refrigerator is designed to be air tight, fill that with butane gas and it stays there until the door is opened or ignited... Open the door with a cigarette/joint and BOOM. And for what? So some eco-warrior feels better.
Think of all the CO@ released in the fire...and no polar bears have been seen just treading water, either.

C S Lewis