Author Topic: Urban Heat Islands Can Be Deadly, and They're Only Getting Hotter  (Read 483 times)

rangerrebew

Urban Heat Islands Can Be Deadly, and They're Only Getting Hotter

This story originally appeared on High Country News and is part of the Climate Desk collaboration.

If heat is the enemy, Marcela Herrera thought she was ready for battle last summer at her family’s north Los Angeles apartment.

https://www.wired.com/story/urban-heat-islands-can-be-deadly-and-theyre-only-getting-hotter/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:22:59 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Urban Heat Islands Can Be Deadly, and They're Only Getting Hotter
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:33:57 pm »
 888ohnoes

That's what A/C is for. Ohwaitaminute! This is Californicatia where they have made electricity artificially very expensive.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 06:35:55 pm »
Women and Minorities hit hardest.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 06:53:13 pm »
“There’s been this assumption that we can all cool off somehow. And in some ways that might have been true 100 years ago,” Eisenman says. “We don’t have access to the natural cooling environment like we did before.”

Wow if only there was something we could buy, costing around $100 or so,  that you could plug in right into the wall, and have it blast out cold air.

Or maybe some sort of large tub, the size of a pickup or larger, that you could fill with water.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:01:04 pm »
I laugh at the words "Urban Heat Island" in the headline, as my friends and I have an expression (which I can't recall the origin of the term) to describe "the hood"... "UFJ"... short for "Urban F*** Jungle".