Author Topic: Breaking News: 'LIKE HELL ON EARTH' Grenfell Tower fire: Huge blaze rips through 24-storey residential tower in London’s Ladbroke Grove with residents trapped inside ‘screaming for help’  (Read 7812 times)

Online DB

Fire safety rule is to get down on stomach and crawl in a fire (in heavy smoke) but how do get down stairs in that?

Wet clothes and heavy wet cloth over your mouth and pray the gasses aren't too toxic and that you can open your eyes enough to make your way...

Simply horrible.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:42:38 am by DB »

Online DB

Sounds like it was green global warming garbage, not merely aesthetics

The reported source of the fire was also caused by "green global warming garbage". A refrigerator blew up on the 4th floor. They use butane for refrigerant there because of evil CFCs... Apparently they've imported butane use to the US too. Hell no.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
The reported source of the fire was also caused by "green global warming garbage". A refrigerator blew up on the 4th floor. They use butane for refrigerant there because of evil CFCs... Apparently they've imported butane use to the US too. Hell no.

Could be true but I've never heard of a fire cause be refrigerate refridgerant.

Online DB

They commonly use BUTANE for refrigerant in Europe because it is "Green". It leaks inside the cabinet and then when the thermostat contacts arc it goes boom. I kid you not.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That's because in the US other non flammable refrigerants are used. The CFC (Chlorinated flourocarbon--AKA: Freon) refrigerants worked fine, but supposedly were making a hole in the ozone layer.

Other gasses which are volatile will work, including propane and butane, but are not used here in the States, precisely because of the fire danger.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Butane or propane would work as refrigerants, but almost no one uses them because of the fire hazard. I knew a farmer who charged his tractor AC system with propane every year (after R-12 was banned), but even that was on the outside of the cab in an area where if it can't push the pickup down the road, it isn't very windy.

Propane works very well as a refrigerant.  It is commonly used in oil & gas facilities.  But then for us it is no greater risk than most everything else and the equipment is rated for use in such hazardous environments.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

What's the source on that claim?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

Propane works very well as a refrigerant.  It is commonly used in oil & gas facilities.  But then for us it is no greater risk than most everything else and the equipment is rated for use in such hazardous environments.
That's a far cry from putting it in your car AC or using it in your fridge (not rated for hazardous environments). Or the farmer I knew putting it in the AC on his tractor. (something on this order only a little older model)

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

What's the source on that claim?

"Mahad Egal, who lives on the fourth floor, led his wife and two young children to safety, reaching the ground floor at about 1.10am. Mr Egal said: “The fire started on the fourth floor. My neighbour told me it was his fridge that exploded."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/15/london-fire-latest-death-toll-set-rise-amid-grim-search-grenfell/

"A total of 74 people were being treated in hospitals, with 20 of them in a critical condition after the fire, thought to have been sparked by a faulty refrigerator, started just after 1am on Wednesday and quickly spreading up the building. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/grenfell-tower-inferno-disaster-waiting-happen-concerns-raised/

And more here:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,267396.msg1358255/topicseen.html#msg1358255

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
That's because in the US other non flammable refrigerants are used. The CFC (Chlorinated flourocarbon--AKA: Freon) refrigerants worked fine, but supposedly were making a hole in the ozone layer.

Other gasses which are volatile will work, including propane and butane, but are not used here in the States, precisely because of the fire danger.

I ran propane as a refrigerant in a vehicle I owned for years without a single problem.  There isn't enough refrigerant there to cause much of  a problem even if you lose a hose and it ignites.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
The death toll is now 79.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40327357

Was just going to post this, getting alerts from all USA wires on my iPhone on this very thing.

GMTA, I'm honored to be thinking like you, @EC

Oh those poor people. G-d bless their souls.

:0001:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:50:58 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
God will. He's good like that.

God help the bastards as set it up to happen though.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

...Homeless Grenfell Tower victims will receive at least £5500 ($9200) in a Government payout, The Sun reports.

Downing Street said desperate families got £500 ($836) in cash on Sunday to be followed by a £5000 ($8300) bank transfer tomorrow — after victims told of getting just £10 ($16) a day so far.
No. 10 officials said support workers would ensure people could access the cash — including those who may not have a bank account.

A £5 million ($8.36 million) fund has been set up for emergency supplies, food and clothing....

Grenfell Tower fire: British ministers reveal building cladding was banned under UK regulations
http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/grenfell-tower-fire-british-ministers-reveal-building-cladding-was-banned-under-uk-regulations/news-story/c90d27657651a86435d60c7d30ea4b7e
JUNE 19, 2017
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:03:58 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

I ran propane as a refrigerant in a vehicle I owned for years without a single problem.  There isn't enough refrigerant there to cause much of  a problem even if you lose a hose and it ignites.
Most of a vehicle (at least used to be, especially under the hood) is more resistant to fire than materials in the average home, when you think about it. The idea being that if the fuel leaked, you'd have time to pull over and get out.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member