Author Topic: Breaking News: 'LIKE HELL ON EARTH' Grenfell Tower fire: Huge blaze rips through 24-storey residential tower in London’s Ladbroke Grove with residents trapped inside ‘screaming for help’  (Read 7814 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
'LIKE HELL ON EARTH' Grenfell Tower fire: Huge blaze rips through 24-storey residential tower in London’s Ladbroke Grove with residents trapped inside ‘screaming for help’

Residents jumping from building with more trapped inside block that contains 120 homes, as 40 fire engines and more than 200 firefighters fighting to control blaze

By JAMES COX AND ERIKA SANGER
14th June 2017, 2:13 am
Updated: 14th June 2017, 4:30 am

FIREFIGHTERS are battling an inferno which has engulfed a block of flats in Ladbroke Grove, West London.

Some residents are trapped inside the 24-storey tower, with children among residents desperately shouting for help from windows on upper floors with neighbouring flats ablaze as other residents have jumped from upper floors to escape the flames.

The surrounding area has been evacuated with police warning that the building is in danger of collapse.

Continued: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3794912/ladbroke-grove-high-rise-flats-engulfed-by-giant-blaze-as-shocked-onlookers-film-raging-fire/

It sounds like a big, big fire there.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 03:33:27 am by TomSea »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Do we know the cause yet?

I heard one potential cause in the comments area at the Sun that would make one think it was not terrorism like an electric short; but that might have been poppycock.  Surely, they had a sprinkler system, some sort of safeguards against a huge fire like this is turning out to be.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Nothing on the cause yet.

Depends which end of Latimer Road it is - some of the blocks along there are about 1/2 a step up from slums. I doubt they even have functional sprinkler systems.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Frank Cannon

I don't understand what the hell is going on here. First they talk about blocks of flat buildings and then they are talking about a 24 story tower. WTF? This writer needs to learn English.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Per the Mail - it's Grenfell Tower, built in 1974. So - one of the slum towers that haven't been cleared yet.

Offline Mom MD

Nothing on the cause yet.

Depends which end of Latimer Road it is - some of the blocks along there are about 1/2 a step up from slums. I doubt they even have functional sprinkler systems.

There is a report of someone from the building saying his neighbor came to his door and told him to get out, that his refrigerator had exploded
God is still in control

Offline Right_in_Virginia

More information here:

Towering inferno: Screaming residents build ropes from sheets and lean out windows as huge fire at West London tower block engulfs the 27-storey building with 200 firefighters struggling to control the blaze

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4601902/Huge-inferno-West-London-tower-block.html#ixzz4jwlDs2NI

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I don't understand what the hell is going on here. First they talk about blocks of flat buildings and then they are talking about a 24 story tower. WTF? This writer needs to learn English.

Flats are what we call apartments, Frank.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Offline Frank Cannon

Flats are what we call apartments, Frank.

I go back to my original post. You people need to learn English.

BTW, I do not understand how in the hell this building lit up like a roman candle. Sure it was built in '74, but we have plenty of old buildings around and they have sprinkler systems, fire rated walls and other things to retard a fires progress until it is put down. This thing looks like an Erwin Allen movie.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I missed this story, thanks for posting it @EC

Reminds me from a scene in your version of "house of cards"
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

There is a report of someone from the building saying his neighbor came to his door and told him to get out, that his refrigerator had exploded

Refrigerators DO explode in Britain.  More here @Mom MD :

Could your fridge burn your house down? You can't switch them off. They're packed with inflammable insulation that can give off toxic gas. Here's why they are the most dangerous appliance of all...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3183412/Could-fridge-burn-house-t-switch-packed-inflammable-insulation-toxic-gas-s-dangerous-appliance-all.html#ixzz4jwnOOBM6

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:27:52 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I go back to my original post. You people need to learn English.

BTW, I do not understand how in the hell this building lit up like a roman candle. Sure it was built in '74, but we have plenty of old buildings around and they have sprinkler systems, fire rated walls and other things to retard a fires progress until it is put down. This thing looks like an Erwin Allen movie.

The usual reasons - it was built cheap to house the unemployed (Council housing, we call it) and the old. Plenty of kickbacks to the local council because who cared if it burned? Not like anyone important was going to get hurt, right?

The public housing built between the end of the 50s and the end of the 70s is a disgrace. Most areas have been relocating people and tearing them down to replace them with blocks that don't actively try to kill you.

Offline Frank Cannon

Refrigerators DO explode in Britain.  More here @Mom MD :

So Lucas is building refrigerators over there?

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

Lucas dip-switch positions: LOW and BLOW (Bruce Miller, www.hermit.cc)

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Lucas engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made the refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone. Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

How to make AIDS disappear? Give it a Lucas parts number.

Recently, Lucas won out over Bosch to supply the electrical for the new Volkswagens. So, now the cars from the Black Forest will come with electrics supplied by the Lord of Darkness -- how appropriate!

Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.

Offline Frank Cannon

The usual reasons - it was built cheap to house the unemployed (Council housing, we call it) and the old. Plenty of kickbacks to the local council because who cared if it burned? Not like anyone important was going to get hurt, right?

The public housing built between the end of the 50s and the end of the 70s is a disgrace. Most areas have been relocating people and tearing them down to replace them with blocks that don't actively try to kill you.

Must be. I was trying to figure out how you cram 120 units into a 24 floor building that size. If it's govt' housing, that explains it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Our homes tend smaller anyways - our house is a typical size terraced for a family of 4 or 5 and is about 1600 sq ft. Lot of people, small space.  :shrug:

Offline Frank Cannon

Our homes tend smaller anyways - our house is a typical size terraced for a family of 4 or 5 and is about 1600 sq ft. Lot of people, small space.  :shrug:

Hell. My garage is that big.

I don't understand how this building is still standing.  The whole thing has been burning for hours.

Offline DB

I don't understand how this building is still standing.  The whole thing has been burning for hours.

Probably a steel reinforced concrete structure. The concrete protects the steel pretty well.