Author Topic: 100 years after it disappeared, a giant Florida watermelon is brought back to life  (Read 1811 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Under a mossy live oak on farmer Will Crum's farm, chef Greg Baker thumped a watermelon. They both listened — a low tone, a little hollow-sounding.

"Can I get a little more reverb?" Baker joked, giving it another gentle rap.

It was ready. And on Thursday, a bit of Florida history was made. Together, Baker and Crum have brought back the Florida Favorite.

Once Florida's official watermelon, it largely disappeared around World War I when it fell out of favor due to not being pest-hardy enough. With the help of local bees, Crum, 33, has rehybridized it.

Holding down the major melon, maybe 30 pounds, to keep it from rolling off its tiny, rickety wooden table, Crum thrust his knife deep, the two halves falling apart dramatically. It was the first time anyone had seen inside this fruit in 100 years. Dark fuchsia, thick white rind, black and white seeds, dark green glossy skin with a faint zigzag pattern. Crum cut Baker a wedge, then himself.

"Oh, my god," Baker said. "This is fantastic."

Crum just pointed, juice dripping.

"This."

More: http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/food/dining/100-years-after-it-disappeared-a-giant-florida-watermelon-is-brought-back/2326737
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Our forefathers, though they may not have had our modern conveniences, knew what good food was and how to grow/raise it. Before we started shipping produce all over the place as we have done since WWII, there was a whole industry dedicated to breeding mostly open pollinated varieties for the home and local market. They were bred quality and flavor as a priority over production and shipping.

Most of those varieties have disappeared in the US, though not Europe where they still breed for good eating. There has been a revival though in the last 25 years of the so-called 'heirlooms' that have now exploded again into a full blown US industry as people who like to cook and love good food have sought them out. Baker Creek - http://www.rareseeds.com - is one of the pioneers and probably the best example of that.

I've grown heirlooms for 20 years now and I will never go back to the cardboard and plastic stuff that is modern produce.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:30:59 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Our forefathers, though they may not have had our modern conveniences, knew what good food was and how to grow/raise it. Before we started shipping produce all over the place as we have done since WWII, there was a whole industry dedicated to breeding mostly open pollinated varieties for the home and local market. They were bred quality and flavor as a priority over production and shipping.

I've grown heirlooms for 20 years now and I will never go back to the cardboard and plastic stuff that is modern produce.

From my understanding the first corn in America was Not much bigger than your thumb in size. Those that like to gripe about GMO don't know that that term encompasses just what you describe, and is the mark of good science and trial and error resulting in the good food we have today. Yes, the strawberries breed today don't taste as good as homegrown local varieties that are sweeter and softer (don't store). But they do have their purpose in a global market. You want best taste, visit your local farmers market, but understand even those items have gone through major GMO modifications.

I cringe when I see advertisements that claim their food is GMO free. There is basically NO food that is GMO free. None Zilch Nada.

Old Watermellon before GMO...

First corn that the Indians introduced us too ...

Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
From my understanding the first corn in America was Not much bigger than your thumb in size. Those that like to gripe about GMO don't know that that term encompasses just what you describe, and is the mark of good science and trial and error resulting in the good food we have today. Yes, the strawberries breed today don't taste as good as homegrown local varieties that are sweeter and softer (don't store). But they do have their purpose in a global market. You want best taste, visit your local farmers market, but understand even those items have gone through major GMO modifications.

I cringe when I see advertisements that claim their food is GMO free. There is basically NO food that is GMO free. None Zilch Nada.

So you're saying there is no difference between selective breeding and the DNA splitting thats being done in laboratories?   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline goodwithagun

How is selective breeding for size, flavor, and/or pest resistance the same as making a plant resistant to chemical plant killer?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline driftdiver

How is selective breeding for size, flavor, and/or pest resistance the same as making a plant resistant to chemical plant killer?

@goodwithagun
The public rejected their frankenfoods so now they seek to conflate selective breeding with what they are doing now.   There are about 10 companies which control most of our food.  They'd prefer all of our food come from a laboratory.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

While technically true, the meaning of GMO today is something like putting goat or spider genes into corn to give it certain properties. That's what scares people. Hybridization, while it can get fairly deep into genetic engineering, still uses a singular DNA, i.e. manipulating the corn gene to make better corn.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:17:00 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
While technically true, the meaning of GMO today is something like putting goat or spider genes into corn to give it certain properties. That's what scares people. Hybridization, while it can get fairly deep into genetic engineering, still uses a singular DNA, i.e. manipulating the corn gene to make better corn.

The dim witted among us equate cross pollination with gene splicing. If they can get a salmon to cross pollinate with a cucumber, more power to them.

Offline driftdiver

BTW when you said Indians did you mean the Aztecs or Mayans?   Because corn has been cultivated a lot longer than when Europeans landed here.  The varieties of corn found in North America in the 1700s are much more similar to the corn we know today than the picture you posted.

Offline RoosGirl

Thank you for saying this so I didn't have to.  There's a huge difference between GMO foods of today versus selective breeding of yesteryear.

Offline driftdiver

The dim witted among us equate cross pollination with gene splicing. If they can get a salmon to cross pollinate with a cucumber, more power to them.

Actually they are more focused on goats and spiders currently.

Offline goodwithagun

@goodwithagun
The public rejected their frankenfoods so now they seek to conflate selective breeding with what they are doing now.   There are about 10 companies which control most of our food.  They'd prefer all of our food come from a laboratory.

Which is why much of mine comes from my back yard.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

Which is why much of mine comes from my back yard.

I wish I wasn't such a brown thumb. I do not have much luck growing fruit or veggies.  I don't know if it's my skill or the heat of central FL or the bugs, but I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with me.

Offline goodwithagun

I wish I wasn't such a brown thumb. I do not have much luck growing fruit or veggies.  I don't know if it's my skill or the heat of central FL or the bugs, but I'm pretty sure it has a lot to do with me.

Contact your county extension. Maybe they offer help.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Plus, the indians were growing ear corn as we know it before europeans arrived. Cotton Mather wrote about experimenting with cross pollination with the varieties the indians were growing so he could create more robust yellow strains.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Some things grow well in our "soil", some things need raised beds and/or heavy amendments.

Time of year is critical.  Right now, for me, it's blackeyed peas, okra, citrus, figs and blackberries.  Most of what I really want just doesn't produce this time of year.

For fruits, always check for Florida specific varieties, and research "chill hours" before buying.

Companion planting helps with bugs, but get to know neem oil.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline RoosGirl

Some things grow well in our "soil", some things need raised beds and/or heavy amendments.

Time of year is critical.  Right now, for me, it's blackeyed peas, okra, citrus, figs and blackberries.  Most of what I really want just doesn't produce this time of year.

For fruits, always check for Florida specific varieties, and research "chill hours" before buying.

Companion planting helps with bugs, but get to know neem oil.

We have a few nice raised beds, so for the most part I think the soil is ok.  We live on a big sand hill so the native "soil" is bad for most things.  Separate from the raised beds we have a small fruit orchard and my husband was careful to get low chill hour varieties.  I think bugs are a big issue for us though.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I may have misspoke earlier in reference to GMO, had to hunt down article my cousin (small farmer of a few hundred acres of the prettiest land you ever saw)  sent me a few weeks ago. Very tired now, need a nap but want to put URL to article down before I go to sleep for easier reference. I have another article he sent me, that I have not tracked down yet. Just so very tired.

Don't laugh (too hard), I have my senior moments too.

http://www.acsh.org/news/2017/05/25/9-ways-whole-foods-lying-you-11308
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:52:50 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Wingnut

I may have misspoke earlier in reference to GMO, had to hunt down article my cousin (small farmer of a few hundred acres of the prettiest land you ever saw)  sent me a few weeks ago. Very tired now, need a nap but want to put URL to article down before I go to sleep for easier reference. I have another article he sent me, that I have not tracked down yet. Just so very tired.

Don't laugh (too hard), I have my senior moments too.

http://www.acsh.org/news/2017/05/25/9-ways-whole-foods-lying-you-11308

ooh ooh!  I like his solar article too!

http://www.acsh.org/news/2017/06/02/solar-could-save-pretend-lives-it-costs-lot-real-money-11372

Offline RoosGirl

The article is interesting, but just like the Whole Foods literature I think it takes some liberties with some of the information it is presenting.  For example, use of the term sewage.  The word has historically been used to refer to human waste, and there are some countries, like Mexico, that will use human waste on crops.  I have never seen the word sewage used to refer to anything other than human waste. 

Raw milk that sits on the counter all day?  Um, yeah, it's called clotted cream, add bacteria to it and it's called yogurt, or sour cream.  I'm pretty sure that the data shows that more people have gotten sick from pasteurized milk than raw milk in the last several years.

I guess the fear mongering is okay as long as it's your side doing it.

Offline RoosGirl

An additional thought, synthetic hormones are not the same as what the body naturally produces.  Even if they were, are there not some serious side effects from an excess of them?  Same thought on steroids.  Here is a website that talks about steroid use for athletes and discusses some of the potential side effect from using them.  Maybe some people don't care, but some of the side effects sound like sickness and disease to me.  Perhaps the same side effects are not present in animals, I don't know. 

The use of antibiotics is required because of what I understand are pretty disgusting conditions of feed lots.  He is assuming, or wanting us to believe, that organic animals are raised in the same conditions as conventional animals are, and for the most part they are not.  There is also some increasing belief that antibiotic resistance is in part due to the heavy use of antibiotics in the farming industry. 

Offline goodwithagun

An additional thought, synthetic hormones are not the same as what the body naturally produces.  Even if they were, are there not some serious side effects from an excess of them?  Same thought on steroids.  Here is a website that talks about steroid use for athletes and discusses some of the potential side effect from using them.  Maybe some people don't care, but some of the side effects sound like sickness and disease to me.  Perhaps the same side effects are not present in animals, I don't know. 

The use of antibiotics is required because of what I understand are pretty disgusting conditions of feed lots.  He is assuming, or wanting us to believe, that organic animals are raised in the same conditions as conventional animals are, and for the most part they are not.  There is also some increasing belief that antibiotic resistance is in part due to the heavy use of antibiotics in the farming industry.

The local farmer from whom we used to purchase all of our meats (we're vegetarian now) is a throw gen farmer. He inherited to farm from his dad after he graduated from Ohio State with an ag degree. He was taught all the modern methods, why they work, and how much better they are than organic/natural methods. He got sick about ten years ago and started converting the farm to uncertified organic and discovered it's not as difficult as modern methods. It costs a bit more, but he can sell his products for a higher price. He has a great customer base and is doing quite well financially. He said for generations his farming family scraped by, and now they are showing actual profits.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

If y'all want an interesting experience, research the birth control pill and try not to become enraged. What we've done to our bodies in the name of medicine is quite appalling.
I stand with Roosgirl.