Author Topic: This First-Ever Plant Sucks CO2 out of the Air and Feeds It to Vegetables  (Read 2403 times)

rangerrebew

This First-Ever Plant Sucks CO2 out of the Air and Feeds It to Vegetables

June 10, 2017

by Paul Ratner

While there are those who wish to debate the causes of climate change and how much humanity has contributed to it, others look to address greenhouse gas emissions through technology. A first-of-its-kind commercial plant started to operate recently in Switzerland that sucks CO2 from the air to sell to buyers.

The Climeworks AG plant near Zurich is the first one to capture CO2 on an industrial scale, selling about 900 tons of the gas per year to help grow vegetables. That's how much carbon dioxide 200 cars would release.

http://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/this-first-ever-plant-sucks-co2-out-to-the-air-and-feeds-it-to-vegetables
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:59:42 am by rangerrebew »

Offline thackney

I read the title and thought "growing, living" plant not manufacturing.

And thought: "don't all garden plants do that?"
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I read the title and thought "growing, living" plant not manufacturing.

And thought: "don't all garden plants do that?"

Yes and they do it for free.

I skimmed a story about this carbon capture project yesterday. It seems that the multi million dollar project captures about as much carbon as 17,000 dollars worth of trees.

I say plant trees to handle the job. Who doesn't love trees?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Yes and they do it for free.

I skimmed a story about this carbon capture project yesterday. It seems that the multi million dollar project captures about as much carbon as 17,000 dollars worth of trees.

I say plant trees to handle the job. Who doesn't love trees?

There's evidence that CO2 is "greening" the world. Mostly good news (for food production), but bad news for fighting stuff like Kudzu and weeds.

Offline endicom

• Technical
Only downside to trees is mosquitos. One reason why people cut them down around here.

Offline thackney

Only downside to trees is mosquitos. One reason why people cut them down around here.

Trees result in mosquitoes?  Standing water is the source around here.

• Technical

I think they like both.

Offline Cripplecreek

I think mosquitoes like the shade and shelter of the woods and undergrowth. I know that right here on the lake the mosquitoes aren't too bad unless its very still. If I walk into the overgrown area behind my garage they rise out of the brush like a cloud.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
There's no global warming because there's no greenhouse effect. It's a manufactured fiction not science They could have avoided wasting their money put it to better use toward something else.
The Republic is lost.

• Technical
There's no global warming because there's no greenhouse effect. It's a manufactured fiction not science They could have avoided wasting their money put it to better use toward something else.

I wouldn't go that far. There are a few questions here:

1) Is there global warming?
2) If so, is it caused by man?
3) If so, is it significant?
4) If so, how can we be certain of it's significance?
4) If it is significant can we be certain that the steps we will take will not be out of proportion to the problem or won't cause greater problems?

IMO I think there is global warming. Question 2 is where the issue becomes cloudy.

Offline Idiot

4) If it is significant can we be certain that the steps we will take will not be out of proportion to the problem or won't cause greater problems?

IMO I think there is global warming. Question 2 is where the issue becomes cloudy.

Look at the geologic record...the earth is ALWAYS in transition.  Warming is not a bad thing....Cooling is not a bad thing...we just have to deal with it.

Offline Cripplecreek

Look at the geologic record...the earth is ALWAYS in transition.  Warming is not a bad thing....Cooling is not a bad thing...we just have to deal with it.

The rise of mankind took place during an ice age.

Change is good because it forces adaptation.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
We do. It's one of the reasons humans are so adaptable.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Wingnut

The problem with the earth is it has an earthling infestation.  A very invasive, some say parasitic non native species.  How it arrived is not settled science.  Whether they hitched a ride or were deposited into the primordial ooze as a controlled fishbowl experiment by an alien race, or rather the result of some random space debri and waste jettisoned as junk is conjecture.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

The Greenhouse Effect is a violation of the 2nd law of thermodynamics. If anything CO2 helps cool the earth, not warm it. The atmosphere is also nothing like a glass paned greenhouse,  a completely misapplied analogy still hanging around from the 1880's.

If the nuts and bolts of your theory fall apart, then you pretty much have nothing to build on, and the rest of AGW theory is just alot of shoveled horsecrap.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Joe Wooten

Nothing new about this technology. There are several major corporations that supply CO2 for industrial purposes by sucking it out of the atmosphere. This process has been around for over a century.

Offline Cripplecreek

Nothing new about this technology. There are several major corporations that supply CO2 for industrial purposes by sucking it out of the atmosphere. This process has been around for over a century.

Its part of the process of refining natural gas isn't it?

Offline Joe Wooten

That's where most of it comes from, but there are still plants that extract CO2 and N2 from the atmosphere.

• Technical
The Greenhouse Effect is a violation of the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

How so?

Offline Cripplecreek

How so?

Any kind of atmosphere creates at least some kind of greenhouse effect. Its why Venus is hotter than Mercury. Mercury doesn't have the atmosphere to hold the heat. Its also a big part of why temperatures on earth don't drop by 2 or 3 hundred degrees after sunset.

Too many conservatives are falling into the false dichotomy trap on too many issues. Just because they may be wrong about global warming doesn't mean there is no such thing as a greenhouse effect. The greenhouse effect is known demonstrable science. My porch on the south side is made of sliding glass doors on 3 sides and it may be 10 degrees outside but if its a sunny day it may be 40 degrees on the porch.

• Technical
Any kind of atmosphere creates at least some kind of greenhouse effect. Its why Venus is hotter than Mercury. Mercury doesn't have the atmosphere to hold the heat. Its also a big part of why temperatures on earth don't drop by 2 or 3 hundred degrees after sunset.

Too many conservatives are falling into the false dichotomy trap on too many issues. Just because they may be wrong about global warming doesn't mean there is no such thing as a greenhouse effect. The greenhouse effect is known demonstrable science. My porch on the south side is made of sliding glass doors on 3 sides and it may be 10 degrees outside but if its a sunny day it may be 40 degrees on the porch.

They listen to the magic men on AM radio too much. There are intelligent rebuttals to AGW theory, but denialism isn't one of them.

Offline thackney

Natural Gas is cleaned up but not really refined.  They separate out water, CO2, N2, H2S, NGLs, etc.  A few fields have significant Helium, sometimes other contaniments​.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
How so?

The Global Warming model states that CO2 traps heat and 'forces' it back to the surface. How does a colder body radiate heat to a warmer one? It works the other way around.

If anything CO2 would radiate it in the other direction, to the colder outer space.
The Republic is lost.

• Technical
The Global Warming model states that CO2 traps heat and 'forces' it back to the surface. How does a colder body radiate heat to a warmer one? It works the other way around.

Heat radiates from the sun to the earth, no way is the earth hotter than the sun.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:45:04 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »