Author Topic: Christian lobby FamilyVoice calls for exemption to discriminate against mentally ill (Aus)  (Read 1058 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
A national Christian group is lobbying for the Disability Discrimination Act to be changed so that it can discriminate against people with mental illnesses, on the basis they could upset the "sacred" nature of church services.

FamilyVoice has called for a religious exemption to the Act, arguing it interferes with freedom of religion.

In a submission to a federal parliamentary inquiry on freedom of belief, FamilyVoice said a person with a mental illness had the potential to interfere with a church service.

"For very good reasons a religion may not wish to engage a person who has a mental illness and displays disturbed behaviour," the submission read.

"Such behaviour would adversely affect a church service, which is sacred in nature.

"A simple provision should be added for an exemption from the act for persons ... whose conscientious beliefs do not allow them to comply."

FamilyVoice national director Ashley Saunders "strongly repudiated" any suggestion the group did not want to support people with mental illness or disability.

"Our submission did not say we should be able to discriminate with a blank canvas in areas of mental disability," Rev Saunders said.

"It is appropriate in some circumstances to discriminate justifiably where the person is involved in disturbed behaviour that is contrary to the best interests of the organisation.

"Nowhere does the submission say that we don't want people with disturbed behaviour to be part of a church.

"What we have said is that church organisations should be able, in making decisions about employment, who leads the service, it is entirely appropriate that people who fulfil those roles not be people who manifest disturbed behaviour."

In an earlier statement, he said "we have absolutely no desire to exclude disabled persons" and "our policy submission raises concerns about problematic behaviours, not disability status".

More: http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-13/familyvoice-wants-to-discriminated-against-disabled-sex-change/8612052
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:57:00 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
While they are at it, get rid of crying babies too.

This article made me sad. It's the 21st century for Pete's sake.

I can't believe people like that would think like this @EC

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:07:28 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Oceander

Just to be clear, this is about employment, not about attendance at church.

Wingnut

Mighty christian of them.

Offline mountaineer

Why should any employer be forced to hire a mentally ill person - or any person?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

While they are at it, get rid of crying babies too.

This article made me sad. It's the 21st century for Pete's sake.

I can't believe people like that would think like this @EC

You disagree with this statement:

"What we have said is that church organisations should be able, in making decisions about employment, who leads the service, it is entirely appropriate that people who fulfil those roles not be people who manifest disturbed behaviour."

I find that appropriate for ANY who hire employees, for any position.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
If liberals can turn pedophilia in a mental illness, they could be working in day care centers.
Countdown to Resignation

Wingnut

This is "down under"... right mates?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Yep. My bad - I usually put the country code in the title if there is chance of confusion. Fixed now.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink