Author Topic: Can a Single Injection Conquer PTSD? The Army Wants to Find Out  (Read 746 times)

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

Can a Single Injection Conquer PTSD? The Army Wants to Find Out
An anesthetic injection is thought to alleviate symptoms better than traditional treatments

By Michael M. Phillips
Updated June 12, 2017 12:52 p.m. ET

FORT BELVOIR, Va.—The U.S. Army has commissioned a study to determine whether an anesthetic injection to the neck alleviates symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder—a treatment that, if proven effective, could be a big step toward easing an affliction affecting hundreds of thousands of troops who have returned from combat.

The $2 million Army study constitutes the first large-scale randomized control research into use of the shots—called stellate ganglion blocks—to treat PTSD. The injections have been used for decades for arm pain and shingles.

In recent years, some military doctors have begun treating PTSD patients, particularly Navy SEALs and Army Green Berets, with the injections. The shots interrupt messages along nerve fibers that control the fight-or-flight response.

That early clinical experience has produced promising results, with troops experiencing near-immediate relief of anxiety, hyper-vigilance, social withdrawal and other symptoms, said military doctors who have administered the treatment. They include Col. Jim Lynch, command surgeon at the joint Special Operations Command-Africa, which deploys elite troops to train local forces and conduct missions in Africa.

“Once people have the shot, they get dramatically better immediately,” Dr. Lynch said. The shot isn’t a cure, he said, but eases symptoms enough to allow talk therapy, pharmaceuticals and other approaches to achieve long-term improvements.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-a-single-injection-conquer-ptsd-the-army-wants-to-find-out-1497279572
Barba non facit philosophum.

Offline Mom MD

Re: Can a Single Injection Conquer PTSD? The Army Wants to Find Out
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:37:51 pm »
Let's hope this helps our brave troops   I can't imagine some of the things they have seen
God is still in control

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 07:00:56 pm »
No disrespect intended for legitimate sufferers, but I have a degree of skepticism over  PTSD. Apparently many can get it, from many types of "Trauma."

I have learned from friends and relatives, that the military is quick to determine a such diagnosis, and treat it with drugs, and even disability discharges.

I know two women, to got discharges, PTSD diagnosis, not from combat, but from rape. Now I don't classify that is not legitimate. But I note it for the range of things now falling under this category.

The WWI term was "Shell Shock" for battle related trauma. These days you might get discharged with disability pay, if your DI yells too loud and upsets you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_shock
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 07:09:55 pm »
No disrespect intended for legitimate sufferers, but I have a degree of skepticism over  PTSD. Apparently many can get it, from many types of "Trauma."

I have learned from friends and relatives, that the military is quick to determine a such diagnosis, and treat it with drugs, and even disability discharges.

I know two women, to got discharges, PTSD diagnosis, not from combat, but from rape. Now I don't classify that is not legitimate. But I note it for the range of things now falling under this category.

The WWI term was "Shell Shock" for battle related trauma. These days you might get discharged with disability pay, if your DI yells too loud and upsets you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_shock

I do too, @truth_seeker.  Until very recently, PTSD was a normal reaction to abnormal circumstances, and usually resolved quickly.  Now, it's a lifetime disability. 

However, I wonder if this is something that can help with panic attacks?  Those are horrible and can be very debilitating.