Author Topic: Successful Dig Reveals an Almost Complete Skull of a Saber-toothed Cat – A third individual saber-toothed cat was discovered in Schöningen  (Read 1462 times)

rangerrebew

Natural History
Successful Dig Reveals an Almost Complete Skull of a Saber-toothed Cat – A third individual saber-toothed cat was discovered in Schöningen

Led by scientists of the Senckenberg Research Institute and the University of Tübingen, the excavation team found the remains of a saber-toothed cat at the archeological site in Schöningen.
In-situ position of a skull fragment from the third Homotherium, which was discovered on 25 May 2015 at the archeological dig in Schöningen. © Univ. Tübingen / Senckenberg
Led by scientists of the Senckenberg Research Institute and the University of Tübingen, the excavation team found the remains of a saber-toothed cat at the archeological site in Schöningen.

http://www.heritagedaily.com/2017/04/successful-dig-reveals-an-almost-complete-skull-of-a-saber-toothed-cat-a-third-individual-saber-toothed-cat-was-discovered-in-schoningen/114550

An examination of the skull fragments at the Dutch University of Leiden revealed the animal to be a representative of the European saber-toothed cat, Homotherium latidens. The recent discovery constitutes the third example of this large predatory cat from Schöningen.

Long claws, razor-sharp, curved canine teeth and the size of a fully grown lion: the saber-toothed cat (Homotherium latidens) was a competitor as well as a dangerous predator that even posed a risk to the humans of its time. “In the course of our excavation in May 2015, we came across conspicuous bone fragments,” explains Dr. Jordi Serangeli, a scientist at the University of Tübingen and the excavation leader at the approximately 300,000-year-old archeological site, and he continues, “In total, there are three individuals of Homotherium present in these relatively young sediment layers.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 03:17:01 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:53:04 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

My Thunder has teeth like that.  He's black, too.  He's appropriating Saber-tooth culture.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Suppressed

Thanks, @Freya!

I'm trying to figure out which would do more damage...a saber-tooth, or this guy after slipping:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:14:52 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
My Thunder has teeth like that.  He's black, too.  He's appropriating Saber-tooth culture.

@Cyber Liberty

Chewy and Thunder are beautiful! I wish I could pet them. And make them purrrrrrrr
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Heck I know where one of those is.  Only problem is you have to navigate about 3 miles of underwater caves to reach it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

Chewy and Thunder are beautiful! I wish I could pet them. And make them purrrrrrrr

Just look sideways at Chewy and Hobbes and they purr.  Kittens.  Who just got back from their first trip to the vet, which we always sweat.  We hope and pray the Feline AIDS tests come up negative, and they did.  Mrs. Liberty is ecstatic! 888high58888
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

Just look sideways at Chewy and Hobbes and they purr.  Kittens.  Who just got back from their first trip to the vet, which we always sweat.  We hope and pray the Feline AIDS tests come up negative, and they did.  Mrs. Liberty is ecstatic! 888high58888

@Cyber Liberty

That's great news!

Silver Pines

I think he belongs to Dracula.

Lol, just let me get my stake...

Look at his fur...it's so black that it's blue.