Author Topic: Small beer makers say bill creates "extortion fee" as they seek Abbott's veto  (Read 1693 times)

Offline corbe

Small beer makers say bill creates "extortion fee" as they seek Abbott's veto

Craft brewers want Gov. Greg Abbott to veto a bill that would put limits on some regulatory relief that benefits them. But supporters, including some major distributors, say the bill is needed to stop big beer companies that gobble up independent craft brewers from taking advantage of relaxed regulations.

by Jay Root and Chris Essig June 8, 2017 12 AM

Four years ago, the Texas Legislature helped nourish a beer-brewing renaissance by lifting onerous regulations on small manufacturers and brewpubs.

It was one of the main reasons why Oskar Blues of Colorado — the first American craft brewer to self-can — spent millions to open up a brewery with Austin's largest tap room last year. The investment has allowed connoisseurs of Dale’s Pale Ale and other craft brands to drink beer the company delivers from the brewery floor, visible through a glass partition, straight to their glasses.

But that was then and this is now.

At the end of May, the Legislature enacted a bill that, as Oskar Blues founder Dale Katechis put it, will “pull the rug out on us a year after we started doing business here in Texas.”

The legislation rolls the clock back on some regulatory relief injected into the Texas beer industry in 2013, all while providing “carve-out” provisions that financially benefit three global beer giants. Lawmakers passed the legislation at the urging of one of the most powerful lobby groups at the Capitol — the wholesale beer distributors — which prosper from regulations that generally require beer makers to use their delivery services.

Now, unless Gov. Greg Abbott vetoes a bill dear to some of his most generous campaign donors, brewers who reach the size of Oskar Blues will have to start forking over some of their tap room revenue to distributors — just for “delivering” a product that’s already sitting in cold storage a few feet from where it was brewed. The company is still evaluating how much it will affect its bottom line.

In the meantime critics are calling it an “extortion fee” or “dock bump tax” — money craft brewers will have to pay to distributors for services they don’t want or need. And they say it will immediately stunt investment and growth in an industry that is exploding in Texas and around the nation — not exactly the image leaders like to promote when they’re urging companies to come partake of the lightly regulated “Texas Miracle” economy.

“There’s definitely a disconnect between how Texas views itself as a free-market state and some of these alcohol regulations that basically turn distributors into rent collectors,” said Josiah Neeley of the R Street Institute, a free-market think tank. “The rules do not have any plausible public health or safety purpose. They’re just a matter of making sure that distributors get paid and don’t have to compete.”

The bill drew fire from a few dozen Tea Party-backed Republicans and their kindred Texas Public Policy Foundation, who saw it as antithetical to laissez faire economics. A handful of inner-city Democrats, the Texas Association of Manufacturing and the Texas Association of Business also opposed it.

They were no match for the establishment Republicans who, along with most of the Legislature’s Democrats, voted in favor of the new restrictions. Now craft brewers are doing a full-court press — in social media and direct appeals that have garnered thousands of signatures — for a gubernatorial veto.

Abbott’s office did not respond to requests for comment. The governor has until June 18 to sign or veto the bill. Otherwise it will take effect without his signature.

Distributor interests, who hold enormous sway inside the Legislature, say the bill is needed to stop big beer companies that gobble up independent craft brewers from taking advantage of relaxed regulations that big brewers don’t get under current law.

<..snip..>

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06/08/small-beer-makers-facing-extortion-fee-seek-veto-abbott/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Abbott was by far the largest recipient of beer distributor cash for the four-year period ($1.4 million), followed by the two Republicans who set the agenda in the Texas Senate and House (which passed the pro-distributor bill) — Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick ($688,000) and House Speaker Joe Straus, ($508,000), Texans for Public Justice figures show.

Not good if true.

Offline Night Hides Not

Texas Lege also had its sights set on the wine industry. Thankfully, HB 1514 died in committee.

Under current law, for a wine to be labeled as "Texas Wine", 75% of the grapes had to be grown in Texas. HB 1514 would have upped that requirement to 100%.

IMO, there was a compromise to be had: bump the percentage up to 85%, as is done in Germany. For example, to put the name of the primary grape on the label, such as Riesling, Spätburgunder, or Dornfelder, the wine must contain 85% of the grape.

To require 100% would harm the smaller wineries IMO. I'm a club member at Lost Oak winery in Burleson. They've experienced tremendous growth over the past several years. They don't have the vineyard size to meet their demand, so they buy grapes from other locales, such as the Texas High Plains AVA (Lubbock), and California.

For me, it's not necessarily the grape, it's the skill of the producers to craft a great bottle of wine. I don't place any emphasis on where the wine comes from, I look for the producers that I like and trust. That's why I like to visit wineries, to see their facilities, meet the people, etc. I also keep an eye out for "family friendly" wineries, as well as those that cater strictly to adults.

Not being judgmental here. Each fills an important niche, and both try to make their customers experience enjoyable. My grandson loves to join us when we visit Lost Oak, he always makes new friends when we visit, and their summer movie program is a hit with young and old alike.

OTOH, there are times I like to engage in sipping wine and carrying on a conversation. That can be difficult when untethered kids are running around.

My preferred list is pretty small, though it will grow in the weeks to come:

Lost Oak - Burleson: a jewel in the middle of nowhere...15 miles south of Fort Worth. It's my favorite place to "hang out", even if it's about 45 miles from my house.
Llano Estacado - Lubbock: they always have a "bargain bin" for those on a budget, and their wines are competitively priced. They'll throw in a military discount if you tell them you served in the military. I brought mine up in conversation, as I was comparing their Riesling to that in Germany.
Thomas Knoll - Napa (my sister used to work for one of the partners)
Weingut Eduard Kroth - Briedel (Mosel), Germany - a winery I visited often during my tour in Germany. They ship to Texas, so I buy my Riesling directly from them. Shipping costs are not much more than in the US, and their wine is world class. When you compare their prices to larger, known wineries, my total cost (including shipping) is less than 50% retail.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

Not good if true.

Their stance on limiting the reach of government rings hollow with me.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline corbe

Talked to the Brewmeisters at my 2 local Breweries (New Braunfels), this week and both stated basically the same thing, very few Local Breweries in Texas will be affected by this because 225,000 barrels of beer is a hell of a lot of beer.

From the Article:

To keep operating the way they do now, craft brewers who run tap rooms would have to stay small and reject significant outside investment from other breweries. That’s because when they reach a certain size — producing over 225,000 barrels of beer a year across every premise they or their investment partners own — they’ll have to pay a distributor to deliver beer inside their own facility.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
   Talked to the Brewmeisters at my 2 local Breweries (New Braunfels), this week and both stated basically the same thing, very few Local Breweries in Texas will be affected by this because 225,000 barrels of beer is a hell of a lot of beer.

From the Article:

That's good news.