Author Topic: US: Five Plead Guilty in Call Center Scam  (Read 768 times)

rangerrebew

US: Five Plead Guilty in Call Center Scam
« on: June 11, 2017, 01:03:09 pm »

Published: Tuesday, 06 June 2017 17:37

Five suspects pleaded guilty to having participated in a multi-million dollar impersonation fraud and money laundering scheme conducted out of India-based call centers, U.S. Department of Justice announced Monday.

Seal of the United States District Court of the Southern District of TexasSeal of the District Court (Photo: Jowa504, CC BY-SA 2.0Over the past two weeks, three Indians and one Pakistani pleaded guilty to money laundering and one Indian national admitted he was involved in wire fraud before U.S. District Court Judge David Hittner of the Southern District of Texas.

https://www.occrp.org/en/daily/6546-us-five-plead-guilty-in-call-center-scam
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:03:48 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: US: Five Plead Guilty in Call Center Scam
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 11:01:12 pm »
I've got "nomorobo".

Solves the problem of getting calls from such places.
They're cut off after the first ring!

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 03:31:05 am »
What does this have to do with immigration?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:39:16 am »

Published: Tuesday, 06 June 2017 17:37

Five suspects pleaded guilty to having participated in a multi-million dollar impersonation fraud and money laundering scheme conducted out of India-based call centers, U.S. Department of Justice announced Monday.

No wonder the Freepathon at TOS has gone so badly.   :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 03:43:23 am »
What does this have to do with immigration?

From the article "The scammers called victims in the U.S. from five call centers located in Ahmedabad, India, pretending to be officials from the IRS and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). "

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 03:45:04 am »
When I read the title I was hoping this would mean I wouldn't be getting any more calls from "Microsoft".  Those bastards are downright nasty.  I told the guy to stop calling me and he told me to go F myself.  The one that called my mom called her a C-word.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 03:45:40 am »
From the article "The scammers called victims in the U.S. from five call centers located in Ahmedabad, India, pretending to be officials from the IRS and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). "

That doesn't make it distinctly immigration-related, particularly not if they were claiming to be from the IRS as well as from USCIS.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 03:50:16 am »
That doesn't make it distinctly immigration-related, particularly not if they were claiming to be from the IRS as well as from USCIS.

You asked what it had to do with immigration. There it is.  I'm sure the article would be at home under a number of topics.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 04:44:44 am »
When I read the title I was hoping this would mean I wouldn't be getting any more calls from "Microsoft".  Those bastards are downright nasty.  I told the guy to stop calling me and he told me to go F myself.  The one that called my mom called her a C-word.
"This is a courtesy call from Card Services..."

"What Card?"

"We're offering a reduction in interest rates that can save you money...."

(I pay off my cards every month and carry zero balance, anyone I hold an account with would have that info handy)

"What card?"

"We can reduce your interest rates to as low as 7.5 percent"

That's where I hang up, usually.

The IRS won't initiate contact with a call, they send letters.

Same for Publisher's Clearing House if you win (I asked them, just in case).

You cannot legally win a foreign lottery, especially if you didn't enter...

You never have to pay a fee to collect any legitimate sweepstakes winnings.

Those are some of the most basic scams. Fake collection agencies are another.
If all else fails tell them "You already have my info, I can't hear you. Send me a letter."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis