Author Topic: Factories Won’t Bring Back the American Dream  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Factories Won’t Bring Back the American Dream
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 12:47:14 am »
Different skills. Look into people building with Arduino's or Raspberry Pis, or people building their own computers, or people coding. Look at the DIY movement or the "maker space" people.

They don't represent all people, but this movement is huge.
I'm not saying that isn't good, because those new skills are needed, now, too. But the raw ability to fabricate and design and build is disappearing. The skills are disappearing, too, along with shop class in Junior high and high school. Computer skills are fine if you can build or can afford the CNC machine or other odds and ends, but if you tried building a bulldozer in your garage today, a significant number of people would find their project DOA after the HOA called the EPA or something like that. (Besides howling about the onsite storage of the sorts of materials that inspire and fuel such projects.)

It is a different world, but how many people even know someone who could make the tools they'll need to grow food if the balloon goes up? (much less know how to grow food).

One man's "old junk car" is another man's hot rod in process...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 12:50:14 am »
This place?
Almost across from the old railroad station?

I've been in there, at least once. By then the liquor company was long-gone and it was the Vagghi Woodworks (IIRC).

Used to stop there with the passenger trains in my early days on the railroad.
The trains don't stop there anymore -- they built a new station about 1/2 mile north to replace it.

When I worked freight, we'd stop at Shepard's warehouse and Ring's End lumber -- the switch is just south of there.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 01:45:17 am »
This place?
Almost across from the old railroad station?

I've been in there, at least once. By then the liquor company was long-gone and it was the Vagghi Woodworks (IIRC).

Used to stop there with the passenger trains in my early days on the railroad.
The trains don't stop there anymore -- they built a new station about 1/2 mile north to replace it.

When I worked freight, we'd stop at Shepard's warehouse and Ring's End lumber -- the switch is just south of there.

It is indeed a small world.  Bethel was a picture of small-town America.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 01:46:15 am »
It is indeed a small world.  Bethel was a picture of small-town America.

Ever ate at famous pizza?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 02:37:52 pm »
Ever ate at famous pizza?
yep, but I went to Bethel Pizza House more for the takeout.

Ever eat ice cream at Dr Mike's?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington