Author Topic: Poll: Germans want Merkel to remain as chancellor  (Read 1208 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Poll: Germans want Merkel to remain as chancellor
« on: June 10, 2017, 03:35:31 pm »
Deutsche Welle, Jun 9, 2017

There are crises everywhere you look these days: from the Middle East, with its constant political turmoil; to Turkey, sliding toward autocracy under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan; to the US, where President Donald Trump appears to question the shared values of the West on a daily basis. Perhaps this is why Germans are apparently so happy to have Angela Merkel as their chancellor.

In a new study conducted by polling institute infratest-dimap, in conjunction with German public broadcaster ARD, the leader of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) earned her best approval rating since the beginning of the refugee crisis in the fall of 2015.

The chancellor's popularity had plummeted after she welcomed nearly 900,000 asylum seekers - most of them from Syria and Afghanistan - into Germany.

But now, 64 percent of those surveyed say there are satifisfied with the job Merkel has been doing as chancellor, making her the most popular politician in the country.

The right-wing populist party Alternative for Germany (AfD), which has pushed for a radical change in Germany’s immigration policy, earned 9 percent in the new poll.

More: http://www.dw.com/en/poll-germans-want-merkel-to-remain-as-chancellor/a-39175016

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Poll: Germans want Merkel to remain as chancellor
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 03:38:07 pm »

So do the terrorists. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:40:23 pm »
This is a no brainer. She is the only sane one running a party over there.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 03:44:27 pm »
Deutsche Welle, Jun 9, 2017

There are crises everywhere you look these days: from the Middle East, with its constant political turmoil; to Turkey, sliding toward autocracy under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan; to the US, where President Donald Trump appears to question the shared values of the West on a daily basis. Perhaps this is why Germans are apparently so happy to have Angela Merkel as their chancellor.

In a new study conducted by polling institute infratest-dimap, in conjunction with German public broadcaster ARD, the leader of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) earned her best approval rating since the beginning of the refugee crisis in the fall of 2015.

The chancellor's popularity had plummeted after she welcomed nearly 900,000 asylum seekers - most of them from Syria and Afghanistan - into Germany.

But now, 64 percent of those surveyed say there are satifisfied with the job Merkel has been doing as chancellor, making her the most popular politician in the country.

The right-wing populist party Alternative for Germany (AfD), which has pushed for a radical change in Germany’s immigration policy, earned 9 percent in the new poll.

More: http://www.dw.com/en/poll-germans-want-merkel-to-remain-as-chancellor/a-39175016

Poll results are largely dependent on the people who design them!

I can design a poll that will have 84% of respondents agreeing to the notion that they like snakes!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 04:45:59 pm »
Merkel isn't going anywhere for a long time. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 04:51:12 pm »
Germans today are the product of two generations of re-education, and guilt over their Nazi forefathers' sins.

IOW bend over backwards, to never be warlike, aggressive,, discriminatory, etc. A nation of perfect flower children.

Same goes, to a lesser degree, with Sweden.  Considering Europe as a whole, some aspects apply there too.

World Wars wreaked such carnage, that few want to ever do that another time. That is easy to support.

Coming to grips with the Islamic threat is a subject which they are largely in denial, over.

Those two generation just don't want to consider it. They rest comfortably on the fact of having dodged more wars by aggressive Germany and aggressive Russia.

Singing Kumbaya with their heads in the sand, is referable to going to the barricades.

The choice is whether to accept a few dozen killed and a few hundred maimed, or institute more militarism.

They have already made that choice.  (To a large degree, most of this is true in America as well--democrat Clinton did win the popular vote)

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 04:54:36 pm »
Germans today are the product of two generations of re-education, and guilt over their Nazi forefathers' sins.

IOW bend over backwards, to never be warlike, aggressive,, discriminatory, etc. A nation of perfect flower children.

Same goes, to a lesser degree, with Sweden.  Considering Europe as a whole, some aspects apply there too.

World Wars wreaked such carnage, that few want to ever do that another time. That is easy to support.

Coming to grips with the Islamic threat is a subject which they are largely in denial, over.

Those two generation just don't want to consider it. They rest comfortably on the fact of having dodged more wars by aggressive Germany and aggressive Russia.

Singing Kumbaya with their heads in the sand, is referable to going to the barricades.

The choice is whether to accept a few dozen killed and a few hundred maimed, or institute more militarism.

They have already made that choice.  (To a large degree, most of this is true in America as well--democrat Clinton did win the popular vote)

You really don't understand Germans then.  There is a large element such as you describe, but it is more complicated and much more nuanced than you give them credit for. 

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 05:21:04 pm »
You really don't understand Germans then.  There is a large element such as you describe, but it is more complicated and much more nuanced than you give them credit for.

For how large an element am I on target, and then please follow with your added nuance..

My only claim of knowledge, is living there and writing a graduate thesis about Germany's economy. But in those days Baader-Meinhof-Gruppe and the Rote Armee Fraktion were the terrorists, not Turks and ISIL/ISIS.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 05:25:48 pm »
For how large an element am I on target, and then please follow with your added nuance..

My only claim of knowledge, is living there and writing a graduate thesis about Germany's economy. But in those days Baader-Meinhof-Gruppe and the Rote Armee Fraktion were the terrorists, not Turks and ISIL/ISIS.

In other words, your experience is from the 1970s.   There has been a whole additional generation of Germans since then.  I speak with a number of Germans on a daily basis today. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 05:31:40 pm »
I speak with a number of Germans on a daily basis today.

Colonel Hogan, is that you?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 05:40:01 pm »
In other words, your experience is from the 1970s.   There has been a whole additional generation of Germans since then.  I speak with a number of Germans on a daily basis today.
And I have invited you to share your wisdom with us.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 05:41:57 pm »
And I have invited you to share your wisdom with us.

And I did: Germans are a lot more complicated than the caricature you limned. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 09:47:14 pm »

Not going to disagree - to a large extent you are correct.

However, I will add - these non-combative German flower children have basically created the Fourth Reich. Can you describe the Euro zone in any other way, realistically? The leeches in Brussels don't wipe without Bonn's permission.

The drive to dominate and control is still most definitely there - just channeled in a different direction.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 09:49:43 pm »
Not going to disagree - to a large extent you are correct.

However, I will add - these non-combative German flower children have basically created the Fourth Reich. Can you describe the Euro zone in any other way, realistically? The leeches in Brussels don't wipe without Bonn's permission.

The drive to dominate and control is still most definitely there - just channeled in a different direction.

Best explanation I have yet heard and a very good reason for getting the hell out of the EU as well!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:50:08 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 11:01:39 pm »

Colonel Hogan, is that you?

More like Schultz.  I see Nuthing.....

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 01:19:54 am »
If the German people truly "want" Merkel, then they will deserve what they [eventually will] get.

But "what they get" isn't going to be Merkel.
In the matter of a few more short decades, it's going to be… muhammed!