Author Topic: What to know about the ketogenic diet  (Read 483 times)

rangerrebew

What to know about the ketogenic diet
« on: June 09, 2017, 11:51:08 am »

By ABC NEWS

Jun 7, 2017, 8:08 AM ET

The ketogenic diet, described as “Atkins on steroids” for its focus on foods high in fat and protein and low in carbohydrates, is growing in popularity but some nutritionists warn it may not live up to the hype.

The diet’s proponents say that it is the best way to lose weight without feeling hungry and that it increases energy levels. Celebrities including Kim Kardashian and Adriana Lima and athletes from LeBron James to Tim Tebow have all reportedly followed some form of low carb diets.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ketogenic-diet/story?id=47869044
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:51:55 am by rangerrebew »

Offline goodwithagun

Re: What to know about the ketogenic diet
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 12:03:39 pm »

By ABC NEWS

Jun 7, 2017, 8:08 AM ET

The ketogenic diet, described as “Atkins on steroids” for its focus on foods high in fat and protein and low in carbohydrates, is growing in popularity but some nutritionists warn it may not live up to the hype.

The diet’s proponents say that it is the best way to lose weight without feeling hungry and that it increases energy levels. Celebrities including Kim Kardashian and Adriana Lima and athletes from LeBron James to Tim Tebow have all reportedly followed some form of low carb diets.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ketogenic-diet/story?id=47869044

I know it works. I also know that an oncologist at UPMC is a huge proponent of it. Guess what Cancer eats?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 03:14:36 pm »
I don't know about cutting carbs to 20 grams a day.  Seems to me that such an extreme restriction would rob the body of essential nutrients.

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 03:41:29 pm »
I don't know about cutting carbs to 20 grams a day.  Seems to me that such an extreme restriction would rob the body of essential nutrients.

I was on a low-carb diet for years and it did me a world of good. After a bout of hepatitis I just fell apart. For the first time I was getting fat and developing an, I guess, arthritic condition in my joints. Not only did the diet rid me of the fat but it gradually reversed the joint problem.

I was able to stay on that diet because I kept it simple. I got a good idea of the carb content of foods and kept the carbs down to about 50 grams a day. On weekdays, that is. On weekends I went in the other direction.

I took example from a diet meant for bodybuilders. That was to keep the carbs to 30 grams a day during the week and go slightly in the other direction on weekends. I'm not a bodybuilder so I gave myself much leeway with the diet.

I believe that few people will stick to any sort of diet that is not simple.

Although I felt fine, I eventually got off the diet for the reason you mentioned, concern about nutrition.