Author Topic: Gov. Abbott calls special session on bathrooms, abortion, school finance  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Texas Tribune by Patrick Svitek June 6, 2017

Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday called a special session of the Texas Legislature starting July 18. Abbott said that after legislators address a bill to keep some state agencies from shuttering, he'll add another 19 items to the agenda.

Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday called a special session of the Texas Legislature starting July 18 and promised to make it a sweeping one if lawmakers cooperate.

Abbott gave legislators an ambitious 19-item agenda to work on — including a "bathroom bill" — but only after they approve must-pass legislation that they failed to advance during the regular session. An overtime round, Abbott said, was "entirely avoidable."

"Because of their inability or refusal to pass a simple law that would prevent the medical profession from shutting down, I’m announcing a special session to complete that unfinished business," Abbott told reporters. "But if I’m going to ask taxpayers to foot the bill for a special session, I intend to make it count."

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick had been pushing Abbott to call a special session on the bathroom issue, as well as property taxes. Abbott also added the latter item to the call, reiterating his support for legislation that would create automatic rollback elections when a city or county wants to raise property taxes above a certain amount.

More: https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06/06/abbott-special-session-announcement/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Good.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
This a rare thing? Don't really know how Texas works, other than the sensible idea of keeping law makers away from making laws for most of their term.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Wingnut

This a rare thing? Don't really know how Texas works, other than the sensible idea of keeping law makers away from making laws for most of their term.

It's like a part time job.  They are expected to have real jobs and work for a living.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Yes, they only meet every other year, and special sessions are fairly rare.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Yep!  In this case brought on by a Speaker of the House who runs as a Republican but governs as a democrat and managed to block several pieces of important pieces of legislation in the regular session.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

Yes, they only meet every other year, and special sessions are fairly rare.

Of the previous 20 legislative sessions, 12 of them (60%) have been called back for a total of 34 special sessions.

http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/sessions/SpecialSessions/specialsessionYears.cfm
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Of the previous 20 legislative sessions, 12 of them (60%) have been called back for a total of 34 special sessions.

http://www.lrl.state.tx.us/sessions/SpecialSessions/specialsessionYears.cfm

I knew someone would have the actual numbers!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

For the most part Texas lawmakers still believe that being a politician shouldn't be their primary job in life.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

For the most part Texas lawmakers still believe that being a politician shouldn't be their primary job in life.
Excellent point.  There are a few exceptions, like Perry or LBJ.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington