Author Topic: Hundreds Of Unopened Sports Card Packs Found In Aunt's Attic Likely To Top $1 Million  (Read 1614 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
In mid-afternoon a few weeks ago, Brian Drent received a mind-blowing phone call. “Hello, I have some unopened full boxes and almost full boxes from the 1950s and 1960s that I am considering for your auction,” said the man on the other end.
The box still contains 19 of 24 unopened packs of 1948 Bowman baseball cards likely worth $500,000.

Photo by Mile High Card Co.

The box still contains 19 of 24 unopened wax packs of 1948 Bowman baseball cards likely worth $500,000.

Drent, the president of the Mile High Card Company politely asked for specifics. The caller revealed that he had boxes of early 1960s Topps and Fleer football, 1959 Fleer Ted Williams, and many other sealed packs. They all had been found fairly recently in his 90-year-old aunt’s attic in Tennessee after his uncle passed away. For more than half a century, the uncle had kept packs untouched in a Stroh’s beer box almost as old as the cards themselves.

By the way, there was also a 1961 Fleer Basketball unopened box of wax packs, probably containing the rookie cards of Hall of Famers Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, and Oscar Robertson. Drent was almost speechless.
The 1948 Bowman baseball set is loaded with rookies and Hall of Famers such as Yogi Berra.

Photo by Mile HIgh Card Co.

The 1948 Bowman baseball set is loaded with rookies and Hall of Famers such as Yogi Berra.

But in a classic case of burying the headline, the stranger unwittingly saved the best for last: “Oh, and I have a box, it’s only 19 of the 24 packs, but it’s a Play Ball box from 1948. Wait, no, it’s 1948 Bowman.” While the display box made no mention of the manufacturer, an opened pack of little black and white cards clearly showed that they were by the Philadelphia gum company from the first year that it made a milestone set.

More: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2017/05/30/beer-box-of-old-baseball-cards-found-in-aunts-attic-likely-to-top-a-million-dollars/

@EasyAce  @musiclady  - you were mentioning baseball cards, and this hit my feed. Enjoy!  :laugh:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
We used to pitch them toward a wall...like pitching pennies.   Closest wins all other cards tossed.

And we're talking during the careers of Mickey and the Duke.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

Ahhhhhh!!!  You're pinging me to remind me of my pain in having a neat-freak Mom who threw all my baseball cards out!!

Thanks a LOT, @EC!!    :tongue2:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
 :tongue2:

Mine threw out a complete collection of 2000AD. I even had Issue 1.  **nononono*

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I'll bet I ground up a $million worth in the spokes of various bicycle wheels!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

Ahhhhhh!!!  You're pinging me to remind me of my pain in having a neat-freak Mom who threw all my baseball cards out!!

My mother did the same. I had a big drawer full of them. Mickey Mantle. Yogi Berra. Ted Williams. A Carl Yastrzemski rookie card. Bob Gibson. Brooks Robinson. Willie Mays.

All gone.

Along with my only chance at retirement.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline musiclady

LOL!  I did that too!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

My mother did the same. I had a big drawer full of them. Mickey Mantle. Yogi Berra. Ted Williams. A Carl Yastrzemski rookie card. Bob Gibson. Brooks Robinson. Willie Mays.

All gone.

Along with my only chance at retirement.

I didn't have Mickey, but I did have Yogi and Ted.  I wonder how many millions of dollars of baseball cards were tossed out because of mothers who wanted their kids' rooms to be clean??   :shrug:

Wingnut

In the playing card days of my youth I would buy the packs and save the Cubbies players and use the other team players to trade or if they were hacks they went into the spokes held on by Moms wooden cloths pins.  Which was a whole other conversation that usually went like this. ...

Mom would call me in to the laundry room using all three of my names.  (It would have been four names but at that time I hadn't had my Confirmation.)  "Young man do you have any idea where all my cloths pins are?"  Me with my head down kicking a laundry basket full of clean wet cloths with my dirty PF Flyers... "No Mom"   Now technically, that was the truth cause anyone knows that those pins would break or just fly off anywhere when you where out for a ride. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:14:06 pm by Wingnut »

Offline goatprairie

Same thing happened to me.  I asked my mother why she did it.  She told me she thought I didn't want them anymore. She threw out my Marvel Comics from the early sixties as well.  Of course she never asked me if I wanted them thrown out.  I certainly wouldn't have.  But I forgive my mother....even though  I'd be a millionaire now. Well maybe not a million.....a thousand maybe.  8888crybaby

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Me, too... **nononono*  Who knew?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Mom would call me in to the laundry room using all three of my names.  (It would have been four names but at that time I hadn't had my Confirmation.)  "Young man do you have any idea where all my cloths pins are?"  Me with my head down kicking a laundry basket full of clean wet cloths with my dirty PF Flyers... "No Mom"   Now technically, that was the truth cause anyone knows that those pins would break or just fly off anywhere when you where out for a ride.

LOL! I have been exactly right there!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Mom got so sick of losing her clothes pegs that she got Dad to make me a clip to go on my bike, specifically for holding cards (though we used playing cards). Poor Dad wound up making over two dozen of them in the end - all the parents wanted them!

Wingnut

LOL! I have been exactly right there!

The old "Mom calling you by your three names" deal.  You knew you were gonna get it!  ;ol

Offline Night Hides Not

For YEARS I gave my mom hell for tossing my cards out when my stepfather retired, and they moved from CA to Oregon. I had basically the complete sets of TOPPS baseball cards from 64-69: rookie cards of Nolan Ryan, Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, to name a few. I eased off when she said she felt really bad about it.

I got back into collecting in 1992, but that was a mistake. Had a good time doing it, though. I've got a few really good cards that might put my "collection" at a grand or two.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Wingnut

For YEARS I gave my mom hell for tossing my cards out when my stepfather retired, and they moved from CA to Oregon. I had basically the complete sets of TOPPS baseball cards from 64-69: rookie cards of Nolan Ryan, Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, to name a few. I eased off when she said she felt really bad about it.

I got back into collecting in 1992, but that was a mistake. Had a good time doing it, though. I've got a few really good cards that might put my "collection" at a grand or two.

Are there any real collectables anymore?  It is a given that If they advertise something as a collectable you know that it is not and stay away.   
I read somewhere eBay and like online auction sites destroyed the high prices garnered for some modern...thought to be collectibles  leke Beanie babies,  Cabbage Patch kids and the like.  Even Mom's Hummels aren't worth squat as it turns out they made millions of them!.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

'92 was about the time I got interested too after a co-worker told me what old cards are worth.  When I found out, I franticly called my mother to find out if mine had been tossed.  Luckily my 5-6K Topps cards mostly from '70-'71 were kept, and were in good shape.

What capital was found there was soon blown on the mid '90's pursuit of the valuable "chase" card.  95% of what I have in my office closet would probably best be suited for fireplace starter.  Talk about a bubble.  Glad at least I didn't sink a fortune in it.

Sadly, the card companies got greedy and basically ruined the hobby with overproduction and hype.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Are there any real collectables anymore?  It is a given that If they advertise something as a collectable you know that it is not and stay away.   
I read somewhere eBay and like online auction sites destroyed the high prices garnered for some modern...thought to be collectibles  leke Beanie babies,  Cabbage Patch kids and the like.  Even Mom's Hummels aren't worth squat as it turns out they made millions of them!.

I've gotten a pretty good ROI on original art.  You do have to do your homework, and find bargains. 95% of my collection was after the '08 crash, and like other investments, is subject to market conditions.  Right now the market is inflated, and bargains hard to find.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

1804 dollar, 1913 Liberty Nickel, 1943 copper lincoln cent, 1933 St Gaudens $20 gold piece, 1967 Mustang convertible...there are still a few things out there...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis