Author Topic: This Is The Best Exercise To Lose Your Belly, Says Science  (Read 996 times)

rangerrebew

This Is The Best Exercise To Lose Your Belly, Says Science
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:47:56 am »
By Macaela McKenzie for WomensHealthMag.com May 19, 2016
gettyimages-515054051-habun-opener.jpg
belly fat exercises

In the weight loss game, not all fat is created equal. And if you're trying to lose that belly you just know is hiding a six-pack, stomach fat is a particularly stubborn beast.

But never fear: A recent study just found that one workout is particularly adept at burning off belly—aka visceral—fat.

http://www.prevention.com/fitness/best-exercise-for-a-flat-belly?utm_source=prevention.com&utm_medium=Outbrain&utm_content=channelHPrightrail
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:48:36 am by rangerrebew »

Offline goatprairie

Re: This Is The Best Exercise To Lose Your Belly, Says Science
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:14:31 pm »
Want to lose that fat?  In my experience of losing and gaining weight,  the best exercise is to do pushups away from the dinner table.  Cutting back on calories is the best way to lose weight.   Exercise is fine for a number of reasons, but to lose weight, unless you have time to do hard exercise several hours a day,  cutting down on the eating is the only way to do it.  As far as losing weight,  willpower is more important than horsepower.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 12:41:45 am »
Want to lose that fat?  In my experience of losing and gaining weight,  the best exercise is to do pushups away from the dinner table.  Cutting back on calories is the best way to lose weight.   Exercise is fine for a number of reasons, but to lose weight, unless you have time to do hard exercise several hours a day,  cutting down on the eating is the only way to do it.  As far as losing weight,  willpower is more important than horsepower.

True.  All the exercise in the world won't help if you're going to continue eating like a piggy. 

I really wish I could do that high-intensity exercise, but at 64, bad heart, and a whole bunch of other medical reasons, I just can't.   So I stick to walking.  Works for me. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 12:53:05 am »

I'd been running for 35 years, recently stopped due to lower back issues. Now I use an elliptical trainer, and in three months have gotten much better results as my BP indicates.

I figure its because its much easier for someone my age to ratchet up the intensity on the elliptical than it is actually running. Its a better workout.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:53:44 am by skeeter »

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 01:51:15 am »
Just looking at these HIIT workouts make me want to run to the fridge for a refreshing cold beer.

My wife said this to me a few years ago; I can remember not long ago when you had six pack abs.
But you've upgraded to a keg.

My answer was; A keg holds more beer.
I guess I told her.
 :beer:
Barba non facit philosophum.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 01:58:52 am »

I've done running, cycling, hard-core cardio and there seems to be a tradeoff, you work your buns off but it builds up your appetite.  Sometimes when doing a tough workout, I'd think of the cheeseburger I'd have later on.

Some of your gym teachers and exercise gurus preach the above slogan or a variance thereof.

I use to follow some Asian gal from the San Jose area on youtube per exercise. You've got people teaching this and trying to break out big.

In fact, here she is, Cassie and her channel is blogilates (playing on "Pilates") but it's "chick stuff", hiit or HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training,  while very good for one, are basically "chick" classes per who does it at least the most, though anyone can take them. Zumba is pretty easy going, I've done that. It's fallen out of vogue but I thought it was great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCeGf5MZJto

I've read Prevention, good little magazine. I think it is directed towards women more.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:04:15 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 02:09:55 am »
When I was a bit younger, I could probably have determination and say something like, nothing but brown rice with veggies but I'm a bit pass that now.

At the YMCA, they use to run some sort of contest every Christmastime where you'd enter a contest say starting December 10th to January 3rd or some period of time like that. The aim was to not weigh more after the holidays than you did at the beginning. You might pay $20 and then get a free sweatshirt if you did it. Maybe it was called the holiday challenge.  So, big deal, one got the shirt but I did do that contest and that last day, I was drinking nothing but V-8 juice all day and made the cut.

Something similar to this:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:16:44 am by TomSea »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 02:50:49 am »
I'd been running for 35 years, recently stopped due to lower back issues. Now I use an elliptical trainer, and in three months have gotten much better results as my BP indicates.

I figure its because its much easier for someone my age to ratchet up the intensity on the elliptical than it is actually running. Its a better workout.
I retired over five years ago and almost immediately started in on the treadmill down the basement three-four times a week,  2-2 1/2 hours a crack walking 8-10 miles.  I didn't lose any weight.  In fact I started gaining weight.  Why was that?
Because when I retired I didn't cut back on the calories.  So despite three or four exhaustive exercise sessions a week, I was gaining weight.
Now in the last three months I've cut back on the evening snacks and am finally losing the weight again.
My theory is that is you can go hungry four or five hours a day, you will lose weight.  My best time to go hungry is the four or five hours before I go to bed.  I don't go to bed starving, but I am somewhat hungry.
The trick, of course, is to keep doing it.   Trying not to grab a snack to satisfy a little hunger before bedtime is not easy for me. 
But if I can forgo the evening snack, I feel better about myself in the morning.   And it is working.  Slowly but surely. I do walk either on the treadmill or outdoors but not nearly as long as I was when I first retired. 
The combination of moderate exercise and forgoing evening snacks works for me.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:55:29 am by goatprairie »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 03:06:56 am »

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 03:12:27 am »

Thats funny.  After 20+ years of back problems I recently started running. No fool like an old fool. I can honestly say my back hurts a lot when I run, but a lot less than when I don't run.  I guess the moral of the story is get out there and exercise any way you can.
God is still in control

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 02:19:27 pm »
Thats funny.  After 20+ years of back problems I recently started running. No fool like an old fool. I can honestly say my back hurts a lot when I run, but a lot less than when I don't run.  I guess the moral of the story is get out there and exercise any way you can.

You've gotta build up the muscles to support your spine somehow. Running builds the muscles, with some trauma, so its better than nothing.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 01:37:08 am »
Walking is probably the best exercise for most people. Running, especially on hard surfaces, can do a lot of damage to the joints. And people severely overweight are much better off walking than running.
But it's nice that people don't use all the useless things like vibrating machines and sweat boxes used decades ago. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 02:06:05 am »
You've gotta build up the muscles to support your spine somehow. Running builds the muscles, with some trauma, so its better than nothing.

Swimming is better, since it's a whole body, low stress resistance workout. I swim three times a week when I'm home. Hate every minute of it, I really don't like the water much, but it works.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 02:00:26 pm »
Swimming is better, since it's a whole body, low stress resistance workout. I swim three times a week when I'm home. Hate every minute of it, I really don't like the water much, but it works.

Swimming is the perfect exercise.

I love water but like you I've always hated swim workouts.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 04:50:31 pm »
Swimming might be overall better, but not for me.   For one thing I have nerve problems with my arms, and can't do too much repetitive exercises with them.  Another thing is swimming for exercise is just incredibly boring.
In good weather I can walk in state parks and nature reserves and combine walking with my love of nature.  And in winter on the treadmill  I have the tv on to watch sports or movies. 
No contest for me, walking is far better.