Author Topic: Black Lives Matter Wins Global Peace Prize for Championing Justice and Equality  (Read 499 times)

rangerrebew

Black Lives Matter Wins Global Peace Prize for Championing Justice and Equality
By Cristina Silva On 5/31/17 at 10:02 AM

The Black Lives Matter social justice movement has been recognized with a global peace prize that in the past has highlighted the work of South African civil rights activist Desmond Tutu, renowned philosopher Noam Chomsky and former Irish President Mary Robinson.

The Sydney Peace Foundation announced last week it will give Black Lives Matter its 2017 peace prize during a ceremony scheduled in November for Sydney. The award recognizes the work of the founding leaders of the social justice activist network, Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza and Opal Tometi, who began working together after Florida neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman was acquitted in 2013 in the shooting death of black teen Trayvon Martin.

http://www.newsweek.com/black-lives-matter-wins-global-peace-prize-championing-justice-and-equality-618217
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:26:24 am by rangerrebew »

Offline DB

Puke...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Another award rendered meaningless by its recipients, much like the Nobel Peace Prize...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Apparently they name these prizes using the same method Democrats use to name legislation.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Apparently they name these prizes using the same method Democrats use to name legislation.
:beer:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline endicom

Lack Lives Batter is surely worthy of the award.