Author Topic: Looks Like My Bootup Has Changed?  (Read 3668 times)

Offline mrclose

Looks Like My Bootup Has Changed?
« on: June 05, 2017, 03:25:28 am »
All Day I fought with this computer to boot!
I would power on and the HD would start to spin and then stop.

It would get to where the screen displayed the computers manufacturer name Lenovo and that is as far as it would go!
I had to use the power button to power off.

I did this a number of times!

I then did the ... Unplug, power on ... HD spin and stop, power off routine over and over.

I tried everything I could think of!

After more than five or six hours ... For no particular reason I unplugged the two bluray usb plugins from the front.

One plugin is for my Microsoft mouse and keyboard, the other is for my Logitech headset.
After unplugging the USBs ... the computer booted right to the desktop??

I'm guessing that the pc was trying to boot from one of the devices but I don't know Why?
I haven't changed any settings and I wouldn't know how anyway?

If the boot startup really has changed from it's original settings, how could I change it back?

If it helps, I am posting what I think are important details about my system?

PC Details:

LENOVO 90BG003JUS Lenovo H50-55
3.50 gigahertz AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)

Board: LENOVO Bantry CRB SDK0J40709 WIN
Serial Number: R3028ZHB
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: LENOVO IRKT56AUS 01/19/2016

1966.21 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1828.95 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GHC0N [Optical drive]

ST2000DM001-1ER164 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) -- drive 0, s/n W4Z3M94K, rev CC61, SMART Status: Healthy

11212 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 3' has 8192 MB (serial number 95A1FC8A)
Slot 'DIMM 1' has 4096 MB (serial number 14CF8CC6)
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Oceander

Re: Looks Like My Bootup Has Changed?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:30:33 am »
Now that it boots up, did you try putting the usb devices back in to see if it would still boot, or if it would go back to not booting?

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 03:51:53 am »
Blu-ray is a DVD standard.

You have a desktop PC.

The keyboard and mouse are wireless? If so then they should have batteries. Maybe a weak battery would fail the Power On Self Test.

If all else fails then you could try Lenovo: http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/lenovo-h-series-desktops/lenovo-h50-55-desktop/solutions

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:01:35 am »
Check your BIOS too - turn off the machine, hold down F2 (on a Lenovo), switch on and keep it held down until the bios menu shows.

Make sure boot from C: is the FIRST option on the boot list.

Had a similar on the wife's laptop - hers has an OEM maintenance program running (which means fewer requests for me to fix the damned thing) and it "helpfully" flashed the bios for her.  *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:02:26 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 04:45:28 am »
I can't prove it (I literally don't know why), but I have run into this, especially, with UEFI style bios - I think it has some way to enumerate previously detected things, to enable faster boot times....And sometimes enumerates the same thing more than once, which throws it into a tizzy.

It will often happen after the machine has been moved - and the usb devices put into different slots than they had originally been in. Like I said, can't prove it...

Disconnecting all usb and allowing it to boot clears the problem... I suppose clearing cached enumerated devices...

Adding usb devices back one at a time will prove each one - And if you find it won't boot again after the adding back of one particular device, it is a good sign that device is  broken or problematic.

:shrug:

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 05:00:37 am »
Now that it boots up, did you try putting the usb devices back in to see if it would still boot, or if it would go back to not booting?

Strange!

I turned off and then tried to restart the PC and as I suspected it did the same boot to Lenovo screen and stop again.

First a little about the connections.

I have the Logitech USB and the Microsoft mouse and keyboard USB plugged into the two USB ports on the front of my PC.

I shut down the PC and pulled the Logitech USB out of the front and plugged it into a rear port and tried a restart.
No luck.

I then pulled the Microsoft USB out and the computer booted to the desktop!

I had to plug the Microsoft USB into the other port on the back of the computer and as of now, I haven't tried to restart the PC.

I am going to wait until later to see if the PC will boot normally now that I've swapped everything around?
(I have things I need to do and am tired of messing around with it)

None of this happened until today when I tried to power on?

I just don't get it? **nononono*
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:14:45 am by mrclose »
~ Self

Online DB

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 05:05:49 am »
Most PCs have a small battery to backup the BIOS settings and to keep the real time clock running while powered down. If the battery gets too weak the BIOS settings can be lost or corrupted. The BOIS setting control the boot sources, order and many other hardware level things.

If this is the cause, replace the battery and restore the default BIOS settings (most BIOS offer this option).

Offline mrclose

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 05:10:22 am »

Adding usb devices back one at a time will prove each one - And if you find it won't boot again after the adding back of one particular device, it is a good sign that device is  broken or problematic.

:shrug:

As I said in my other post, I unplugged the Logitech USB from the front port and inserted it into the rear.
I left the mouse USB plugged into the same front port .. didn't help.

I then pulled the mouse and the PC booted right to the desktop.

I had to plug the mouse back in but I plugged it into another port on the back.

I haven't tried to reboot since then.

If I still get the problem, it can only be the mouse (which is working fine) or maybe a problem with one of the front ports?

Both devices (mouse and headphones) work fine once the PC is running!

I just don't get it?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:28:33 am by mrclose »
~ Self

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 05:12:17 am »
Strange!

Sounds like your mouse or KB is faulty.

Online DB

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 05:12:55 am »
Strange!

I turned off and then tried to restart the PC and as I suspected it did the same boot to Lenovo screen and stop again.

First a little about the connections.

I have the Logitech USB and the Microsoft mouse and keyboard USB plugged into the two USB ports on the front of my PC.

I shut down the PC and pulled the Logitech USB out of the front and plugged it into a rear port and tried a restart.
No luck.

I then pulled the Microsoft USB out and the computer booted to the desktop!

I had to plug the Microsoft USB into the other port on the back of the computer and as of now, I haven't tried to restart the PC.

I am going to wait until later to see if the PC will boot normally now that I've swapped everything around?
(I have things I need to do and am tired of messing around with it)

None of this happened until today when I tried to power on?

It could be as simple as your MS mouse or keyboard has had a hardware failure and that failure is hanging the BIOS boot process. The BIOS has to operate with the USB keyboard in order for the user to be able to interrupt the boot sequence/configure the BIOS before the OS is booted.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 05:19:16 am »
@mrclose

Remove ALL usb devices.
Boots normally.
add ONE usb device back in.
boots normally.
Rinse, repeat.

If one stops the boot, that is the faulty one. Replace it.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 05:25:45 am »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 05:28:58 am »

Both devices (mouse and headphones) work fine once the PC is running!

I just don't get it?

That isn't surprising... Legacy detection in BIOS is an entirely different thing from driver based operation in Windows.

Doesn't really matter - if it won't boot, it won't boot.  :shrug:

Offline mrclose

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 05:33:57 am »
Thanks Everyone.

I will let you all know what happens tomorrow.
I'm tired of messing with it right now.

I do suspect the mouse and keyboard though!

The cursor wants to wander all over the place and it is getting difficult to control! 8(
~ Self

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 05:38:58 am »
The cursor wants to wander all over the place and it is getting difficult to control! 8(

Yeah... she's a goner. :(

Still could be the USB circuit itself, but you get to buy a KB to find that out.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 10:49:31 am »
Could have a short in either component. The PC may have built in protection to protect itself in case your USB device has a short. They make these things smart like that. Only way to tell is to plug in other components. If the PC boots with other components then you should narrow it down and throw out the bad component.

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 11:05:59 am »

@BikkFire @geronl @Smokin Joe @roamer_1 @Blizzardnh @markomalley @VarmintAl @Doug Loss @Rikki Tikki Tavi @guitar4jesus @kevindavis @Oceander @EC

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 01:41:16 pm »
Take the tower out and beat the living shit out of it.  It's the only known way to put it out of its misery.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 01:55:34 pm »
I unplugged the two bluray usb plugins from the front

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

The front USB adapters are connected to the motherboard by a wire into some pins on the board. It may have come loose. They also may have just finally shorted out. USB ports don't last forever.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 02:07:20 pm »
First, as others have indicated, it is a BIOS settings issue.  You are attempting to boot from USB, which is a GOOD thing. The ability to boot from USB will allow you to recover your machine if needed.  HOWEVER, it is not always needed and can be changed in the BIOS on an as needed basis.

To get to your BIOS, reboot and press F2 (may have to do it several times during the bootup) to get to the BIOS screen.  From there you are going to have to do some looking around.  What you are looking for is "boot order".  You will want to set it to your hard drive (HDD).  This will boot directly to your C: drive and should be your normal behaviour.  Dont forget to save the BIOS configuration.

If you ever need to put in a recovery DVD, simply switch the first boot device back to USB,.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 02:11:20 pm »
Left the logitech headset usb plug out this morning with just the keyboard/mouse usb plug in.
Started like a champ.

Guess it's time for a new headset.
Guess it's time for a new keyboard/mouse set too!
D@mn cursor wont obey! **nononono*
~ Self

Online roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 08:40:57 pm »
Left the logitech headset usb plug out this morning with just the keyboard/mouse usb plug in.
Started like a champ.

Guess it's time for a new headset.
Guess it's time for a new keyboard/mouse set too!
D@mn cursor wont obey! **nononono*

@mrclose

Forget about the headset for now.

Replace mouse/KB combo first - You KNOW that's bad, or if it ain't, you need to know it ain't bad before you go further.

Try this stuff too:

1 Don't use the front ports for now - Just use the back ports. Does that help?
2. OFF/ Unplug, and open the side of the case. find the wires going to the front USB ports and disconnect it from the MB (PAY ATTENTION to how it went so you can put it back). Does that help?

If so, the front-side usb extension shorted. Buy a cheap hub, or a KB with a usb port on it, and live without it. Or find the proper part and replace.

3 If your machine has a card reader - same thing - OFF/Unplug. Open the case and disconnect it . Does that help?

If so, your card reader is the culprit... Leave unhooked if you don't use it... If you need it, then several options exist depending upon your machine layout. Inquire.

If all of the above and no joy, your entire USB circuit is on the fritz - Does not bode well for your motherboard. Start looking for another machine.

In the mean time, buy a USB3 card, suitable for your machine (I don't know which bus types the machine has)/ Should be a $10-25 investment, and will allow you to use mouse, KB, and allow access for thumbs and such, though on-board card readers/USB ports will not function through it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:55:36 pm by roamer_1 »