Author Topic: Trump's Wrong on Trade With Germany and a Liability to the Anti-NATO Argument  (Read 268 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Both Trump and his mainstream critics are wrong about NATO.
By Sheldon Richman
http://reason.com/blog/2017/06/04/trump-is-liability-to-anti-nato-argument

I've got a few leftover thoughts about Donald Trump's trip to Europe. (Here's what I said about the Middle East
portion.) As usual, I oppose both Trump and his mainstream critics. It's possible for both sides to be wrong in a dispute.

First, trade. Trump famously said to Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Union, "The Germans are bad,
very bad. Look at the millions of cars that they're selling in the USA. Horrible. We're gonna stop that."

I'm hoping that Trump is a demagogue who really knows better, because I can't believe that anyone could be so ignorant
or unintelligent as to think that selling cars to Americans is evidence of badness. I never dreamed that someone who
offered me high-quality products was trying to harm me. (He also says Chinese exporters "rape" us.) It's not just basic
economics he'd have to be ignorant of; he'd also have to be clueless that German automakers have built cars in the United
States for quite a while (the VW Passat, BMW X Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class), most of them for export, at least in BMW's
case

But even if they weren't building them here, who cares? It's been 241 years since Adam Smith showed that the wealth of
nations (i.e., collections of individuals) equals access to products that make life better. "The division of labor"—one of the
short list of things that make common people wealthy—"is limited by the extent of the market," Smith wrote. Global trade
extends the market as far as possible—until intergalactic trade becomes feasible. It's been only slightly less time since
David Ricardo spelled out the principle of comparative advantage, which further elaborated on the source of the gains
from trade. (Spoiler alert: we prosper because of our differences, so we shouldn't want the government to "level the
playing field.")

The Wharton School surely covered those matters. Was Trump too busy giving freshmen swirlies to attend class? (Evidence
for Trump's demagogy rather than ignorance is that his hotel rooms are appointed almost entirely with imported products) . . .

. . . Trump, in keeping with his absurd aggrieved-America shtick, would have us believe that western Europe free-rides
off the American taxpayers. The taxpayers are indeed victimized, but the victimizer is America's ruling elite and its bipartisan
imperial foreign policy. NATO was never about protecting western Europe. Rather, it had—and still has—two other purposes:
first, to give a multilateral mantle to essentially unilateral U.S. imperial actions; and second, to prevent other countries from
forging their own peaceful bilateral relations with, previously, the Soviet Union and now Russia. America's ruling elite, driven
by geopolitical and economic ambition, would not—and does not now—tolerate what it calls "nonalignment." You are either
with us or against us. Otherwise, where would that leave "American leadership"? What would become of the "indispensable
nation" and "American exceptionalism"? A bogeyman was/is necessary to justify American world leadership, and Russia fills
the bill as the old Soviet Union once did. (ISIS runs a pale second.)

Thus western Europe has been a tool of American machinations, not an ungrateful beneficiary of American self-sacrificial
defense. Does anyone seriously believe that the crushing and increasing burden of the national-security apparatus would
lighten if European taxpayers were forced to spend more on their militaries?

Fat chance.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Oceander

Interestingly, apparently one of the reasons the Germans started making their car in the US was to avoid getting hammered on exchange rate fluctuations.