Author Topic: Classic Southern Doughnut Shops  (Read 2951 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Classic Southern Doughnut Shops
« on: June 02, 2017, 11:15:09 pm »
http://gardenandgun.com/articles/classic-southern-doughnut-shops/

Drool-worthy pictures at the link.  I hate Krispy Kreme, though.  Anyone here tried any of the other places?

Round Rock Donuts
Round Rock, Texas
Est. 1926

What started as the Lone Star Bakery more than 85 years ago has grown into a Texas institution. Still made from the first owner’s recipe, the doughnuts are noted for their yellow color (from dough made with fresh eggs) and humble price tag of .69 cents a pop. Haven’t gotten your fill? Dare you to order the “Texas-sized” treat, which weighs two pounds and is approximately the size of twelve regular doughnuts.

Spalding’s Bakery
Lexington, Kentucky
Est. 1929

Although its location has trotted around Lexington a bit over its 80-plus year history, Spalding’s has stayed true to its process of making yeast doughnuts the traditional way—each cake is cut by hand, allowed to rise on birch-wood boards, deep fried, and glazed to perfection.

ALAN CORNETT FOR EAT KENTUCKY

Britt’s Donut Shop
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
Est. 1939

You will know it’s Britt’s when you see a line of folks crowding the boardwalk in front of this cash-only Carolina Beach institution. Ask anyone queuing up what all the fuss is about, and they’ll tell you the first melt-in-your mouth bite—and a dozen more like it—is worth the wait.

BAXTER MILLER

TatoNut Shop
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Est. 1960

With one of the best names in the biz, TatoNut has been frying up dough made from potato flour for nearly sixty years. When Hurricane Katrina ravaged the region and made supplies hard to come by, the cooks got resourceful—after cutting out their doughnut shapes, they used the scraps to fry “Katrina Pieces.” The treat proved so popular that the shop still sells them to remind visitors of the town’s resilience.

PHOTO: COURTESY OF TATONUT

“Katrina pieces.”

Gibson’s Donuts
Memphis, Tennessee
Est. 1967

Long before food celebrity Alton Brown started professing his undying love for Gibson’s every chance he gets (he spoke about their doughnuts withG&G and also went a little nuts when a fan delivered him a box), locals flocked here, guided by the vibrant neon signs glowing out front. Although you can order a round dusted in everything from sprinkles to coconut flakes, take a note from Brown and go for a box of the classic glazed.

COURTESY OF GIBSON DONUTS

JR’s Donut Castle
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Est. 1969

On the outside, the building is shaped like a castle. On the inside, it’s got that homey, stool-lined counter and diner feel, with glass cases displaying daily delights—iced, powdered-sugared, and jelly-filled doughnuts. Each night, three delivery trucks make the rounds, delivering this local favorite to shops, schools, hospitals, and churches in the area.

COURTESY OF KRISPY KREME

And if none of these spots are near you, your localKrispy Kreme (which first opened in 1937 inWinston-Salem, North Carolina) offers one free doughnut to every visitor on National Doughnut Day, June 2.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Classic Southern Doughnut Shops
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 11:21:36 pm »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 11:23:45 pm »

In Southern California the Cool Car Culture thing, mixes with Saturday morning donuts, for a group called "Donut Derelicts." aka Adams Ave. Donuts

http://donutderelicts-com.3dcartstores.com/About-Us_ep_7.html
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:29:30 pm »

Offline RoosGirl

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 01:33:27 am »
Well? You had to bring up the absolute worse doughnut, the krispy kreme.

I know Einstein bagels ain't a doughnut, but they sure are better to eat than what krispy kreme calls a doughnut.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 02:56:11 am »

I know Einstein bagels ain't a doughnut, but they sure are better to eat than what krispy kreme calls a doughnut.

This is true.  I would much rather eat a bagel than a Krispy Kreme sugar bomb.  I have to say that Einstein's is not my favorite place though, but I don't eat a lot of bread so...

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 03:11:53 am »
Shipley's was and still is my favorite do-nut shop.

Whenever I'd go, I'd always shout out "Fat Pills!" to let everyone at home know I was back with all the Goodies.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 05:31:29 am »
And if none of these spots are near you, your localKrispy Kreme (which first opened in 1937 inWinston-Salem, North Carolina) offers one free doughnut to every visitor on National Doughnut Day, June 2.

And to think... yesterday, June 2, Google celebrated the birthday of the "guy that invented the rainbow flag".

Talk about having piss poor priorities.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 02:27:39 pm »
And to think... yesterday, June 2, Google celebrated the birthday of the "guy that invented the rainbow flag".

Talk about having piss poor priorities.

@rodamala , Bing had a beautiful picture from Italy yesterday. It made me happy looking at it. I wish I could travel more.

As for donuts, I've had some amazing ones when I've gone to Amish Farmers markets. With funnel cakes too.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:29:02 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online berdie

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 04:54:04 am »

This thread so makes me wish I was a youngster again and could eat donuts every day. 8888crybaby

There is a Shipleys about 40 miles from me. Thank goodness it no closer.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 06:16:10 am »

Online berdie

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 11:08:38 pm »
Dang it @TomSea , you are a party pooper. And you are harshin' my donut desire buzz. :laugh:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 11:12:22 pm »

Offline andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 11:52:29 pm »

Silver Pines

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 11:56:53 am »
@RoosGirl

I haven't been to any of the shops in the article, although they sound great.

However, if anybody finds themselves in Lynchburg, VA, I suggest a stop at the Chestnut Hill Bakery, an old family business, on Fort Avenue.  When you step inside, you're going to think you should leave again, because there is no decor to the place, and I mean none.  It's very clean, but there's just grayish white walls, linoleum on the floor, and plain glass cases. 

But the baked goods are amazing.  Their birthday cakes are fantastic.  Their jelly donuts are out of this world---not encrusted with sugar---and the unique dark pink-red jelly ought to be patented, it's so good.  You can also get them in "Long John" form, which is a jelly donut shaped like an eclair.

Then there are the peanut butter brownies...big, rich, deep chocolate slabs for one dollar.  I haven't been there in forever; I like to watch my carbs because it keeps my weight at a good place.  But I might have to stop by today.   :laugh:

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 12:37:00 pm »

And you call yourself an American?
A fresh KK right off the line on Battleground Ave in Greensboro NC is a wonderful thing to behold.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 05:40:52 pm »
I put on 10lbs just reading this thread......

Offline kalee

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 03:27:24 am »
I've had JR's in Parkersburg. They're OK. My favorite is Krispy Kreme. Hot Now yum! 

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 07:02:11 am »
And you call yourself an American?
A fresh KK right off the line on Battleground Ave in Greensboro NC is a wonderful thing to behold.

In the south, at least in the southeast, Krispy Kreme is the king and for a good reason.

I'm not going to put anyone down, but some people just don't know what's good and what ain't.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:03:29 am by Old Warrior in Exile »
Barba non facit philosophum.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 12:04:45 pm »
In the south, at least in the southeast, Krispy Kreme is the king and for a good reason.

I'm not going to put anyone down, but some people just don't know what's good and what ain't.

I do love how a Krispy Kreme fresh out of the fryer just melts in your mouth.....

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 02:52:49 pm »
We used to have a small donut shop called Mrs. Murphy's that made the best.  Everything was made fresh, from scratch right there.  I compare every donut to those, and KK does NOT compare, even fresh out of the fryer, because of how overwhelmingly sweet they are.  Mrs. Murphy's closed long ago, but recently Jupiter Donut Factory moved in right where Murphy's used to be.

Just like I compare all pizza to a local joint called Camilli's.  No pizza is as good as that was.  Camilli's is still open, but the original owner died and now things don't quite taste the same.  That was a disappointment.  I suspect they can't get the same ingredients they could 30 years ago.

Just like I compare all BBQ to Smokey Pig.  Smokey Pig has been closed for years and BBQ hasn't been as good since.