Author Topic: Commerce Dept: Mexico Has Until Monday to Stop Violating U.S. Trade Laws  (Read 742 times)

Offline endicom

Townhall
Cortney O'Brien
June 2, 2017

Mexico has continued to violate U.S. trade laws by dumping subsidized sugar into our marketplace.

Our trade laws are intended to keep inefficient foreign producers from running businesses to the ground. Unfortunately, that is the situation we have found ourselves in with Mexico. Phillip Hayes, the media relations director for the American Sugar Alliance, a coalition of sugarcane sugar beet producers, spoke with Townhall about Mexico’s unlawful acts, and how the Trump administration is preparing to respond.

In 2013, he explained, Mexico started dumping their subsidized surplus sugar here in the U.S.

“They flooded the market, more than doubled their exports here and it absolutely collapsed the prices and the market,” he said.

As a result, the U.S. sugar industry lost $2 billion.

More... https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2017/06/02/commerce-dept-mexico-has-until-monday-to-stop-violating-us-trade-laws-n2335425

Oceander

The US sugar industry gets its own subsidies from Uncle Sugar, so I'm not that sympathetic.   

Offline endicom

The US sugar industry gets its own subsidies from Uncle Sugar, so I'm not that sympathetic.

It's problematic. The good part is that we're not now kowtowing to anyone who might call us names.

Offline Suppressed

:thumbsup2:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn