Author Topic: Fight erupts among lawmakers after Texas Republican calls ICE on people protesting immigration bill  (Read 1958 times)

Offline mrclose

Follow the law and there will be no need for fisticuffs! :silly:

A fight broke out among lawmakers at the Texas State Capitol on Monday after a Republican representative responded to people protesting recently passed immigration legislation by calling Immigration and Customs Enforcement to come round them up.

Several local reporters on the scene in Austin bring word that shoving broke out among lawmakers on Monday afternoon after Texas Republican Rep. Matt Rinaldi told a group of Latino lawmakers that he called ICE on the protesters, who were on hand to protest the passage of SB4, an anti-sanctuary cities bill that will go into effect in September.

“Things getting a little heated on Texas House floor with reps pushing each other,” reported KVUE’s Ashley Goudeau. “Rep. Cesar Blanco tells us the scuffle was because Rep. Matt Rinaldi told a group of Hispanic Reps he had just called ICE on all the protesters.”

“Near fistfight erupts after Irving GOP Rep. Matt Rinaldi reportedly tells several Hispanic Ds he called ICE on SB4 protesters,” reported Bob Garrett of the Dallas Morning News.

Per Garrett, Rinaldi also says that he rebuked his Democratic colleagues for allegedly inciting an “illegal” protest of SB4.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/fight-erupts-among-lawmakers-after-texas-republican-calls-ice-on-people-protesting-immigration-bill/
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Wingnut

Don't you just love how that left-wing online "news" organization spins the event.   

Offline Night Hides Not

Matt's my rep, love it!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Oceander

Did ICE make any arrests?

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
What Rinaldi did makes perfect sense-the protests were probably a target-rich environment for ICE. ^-^
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

The headline says he called ICE, but the only thing I see in the article is he told the Dems he did.

I hope he didn't actually call, as fun as it would be.  I don't think there's probable cause to check immigration status soley on attendance of a protest.  If he did call it would play into the left's narrative of what we want to accomplish.

OTOH, my first thought on the LA article was ICE should call in a couple hundred extra agents and see if the neighbors really do want to interfere with official acts, which would, IMO IANAL, be grounds to arrest them and check their status, too.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I bet those left protesting outside suddenly turned completely non-violent.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Don't you just love how that left-wing online "news" organization spins the event.

Yeah! Especially since they left out the part about Rinaldi's life being threatened several times by DEMOCRAT legislators!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline rodamala

Trump's WallTM would be better serving if it simply surrounded Austin.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

I never knew rawstory was ever credible for anything other than fish wrap.

They are normally the favorite go to source of DU.

That being said...you're right they spun that story like a top.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Trump's WallTM would be better serving if it simply surrounded Austin.

We do a pretty good job of keeping our crazies contained to one geographical area of the state.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Night Hides Not

We do a pretty good job of keeping our crazies contained to one geographical area of the state.

Which area is that?  lol, Houston has Sheila, Dallas has several crazies, then there's San Antonio and El Paso. What Texas has over the other states are dozens of suburbs that are crimson red.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Which area is that?  lol, Houston has Sheila, Dallas has several crazies, then there's San Antonio and El Paso. What Texas has over the other states are dozens of suburbs that are crimson red.

The bulk of them are in the Austin Houston San Antonio corridor.

A few slip out here and there.  About 99% of them are scared to come further West than Llano.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
The video shows several Latino members going after Rinaldi. Now there is an investigation.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Night Hides Not

The video shows several Latino members going after Rinaldi. Now there is an investigation.

These are the demographics for Matt's district, at least where I live in Valley Ranch. Coppell, the other part of the district,  is a higher income area:

Matt's competition for his seat has been Bennett Ratliff, son of Bill. The last two have been very close, though Matt won by a bit more in 2016. His only challenge would come in the primary, should Bennett decide to run again.

I'd rather see Matt take on Kenny Marchant for the House seat next year, though he has made no mention of it.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The headline says he called ICE, but the only thing I see in the article is he told the Dems he did.

I hope he didn't actually call, as fun as it would be.  I don't think there's probable cause to check immigration status soley on attendance of a protest.  If he did call it would play into the left's narrative of what we want to accomplish.

OTOH, my first thought on the LA article was ICE should call in a couple hundred extra agents and see if the neighbors really do want to interfere with official acts, which would, IMO IANAL, be grounds to arrest them and check their status, too.

As I understand it, they were holding signs claiming they were illegal and taunting people that there was nothing they could do about it.

Apparently, one Rep thought maybe there WAS something they could do about it.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
As I understand it, they were holding signs claiming they were illegal and taunting people that there was nothing they could do about it.

Apparently, one Rep thought maybe there WAS something they could do about it.

And he should.  Its time for this insanity to end.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
He could have handed out maps to the federal immigration office, which is only a few blocks away.

Not as much fun as pretending to call ICE, but drives home a more important point.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Question and Answer Time

Q: Why do you illegally enter the country when there is a legal path?

A: Because the immigration system is hopelessly screwed up.

Q: Why is it so screwed up?

A: Because it is run by the government.

Q: If you think big government is so great why not work on fixing the system?

A: Because that would take a long time and we have elections coming up where we must cast illegal votes.

Q: But isn't that breaking the law too?

A: Well sure it is but nobody ever has to pay a price for breaking that law.

Q: So this is really one big election scam at the end of the day.

A: You catch on fast.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Where is the video? I didn't see one in the article.