Author Topic: 'Sanctuary Cities' protests interrupt Texas House session  (Read 1521 times)

Online corbe

'Sanctuary Cities' protests interrupt Texas House session
« on: May 29, 2017, 07:24:41 pm »

'Sanctuary Cities' protests interrupt Texas House session

Brooke Singman
By Brooke Singman     Published May 29, 2017 
Fox News

Protests erupted in the Texas capitol building on Monday over Gov. Greg Abbott’s new law cracking down on ‘sanctuary cities,’ interrupting the final day in this year’s regular session of the Texas Legislature.

Hundreds of protesters chanted in opposition to the new law, forcing House leadership to stop the session and send state troopers to clear the gallery. 

Some protesters held banners that said, “See you in court” and “See you at the polls,” while others chanted “Hey, hey. Ho, ho. SB-4 has got to go.”

Abbott signed SB-4 into law earlier this month in an effort to remain consistent with federal immigration law. The law effectively bans sanctuary city policies in Texas and gives law enforcement officers to ask the immigration status of anyone they stop. Under the law, officers who fail to comply, or cooperate, with federal immigration agents could face jail time and fines reaching $25,000 per day.

<..snip..>

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/29/sanctuary-cities-protests-interrupt-texas-house-session.html

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online berdie

Re: 'Sanctuary Cities' protests interrupt Texas House session
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:23:23 pm »
I agree with Abbott...why do we need legislation to enforce the law?

I hope that this doesn't get overturned by some federal judge. I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

I'm not a one issue voter by any means...but if I were...illegal immigration  would be my issue.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:52:22 pm »
This bill has legs to beat back court challenges.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:58:51 pm »
This bill has legs to beat back court challenges.

Yes, but the courts have been so subverted by the progressive left, the merits don't really matter that much.