Author Topic: Archaeologists Uncover Evidence of Luxurious Lifestyle 5,000 Years Ago in Turkey  (Read 1758 times)

rangerrebew

26 May, 2017 - 22:58 Theodoros Karasavvas
Archaeologists Uncover Evidence of Luxurious Lifestyle 5,000 Years Ago in Turkey

Archaeologists excavating in Yassitepe, Turkey for the past seven years have unearthed an ancient Greek settlement consisting of luxurious houses. So far, the findings suggest that luxury life began in Asia Minor almost 5,000 years ago.
Settlement Including Luxurious Residences and High Quality Pottery Discovered in Anatolia

Daily Sabah reports that a team of archaeologists has recently uncovered an ancient settlement consisting of luxurious houses during excavations in Yassıtepe, which is connected to Yeşilova Höyük (settlement mound) in Bornova district of Turkey's western Izmir (Smyrna) province.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/archaeologists-uncover-evidence-luxurious-lifestyle-5000-years-ago-turkey-021408
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:59:48 am by rangerrebew »

Offline berdie

It has always amazed me how ancient civilizations found away to be comfortable. Not luxurious by present day standards by any means, Just using what they had.

Man continues to progress as well. Also amazing the luxury we have.

Online roamer_1

It has always amazed me how ancient civilizations found away to be comfortable. Not luxurious by present day standards by any means, Just using what they had.

Man continues to progress as well. Also amazing the luxury we have.

@berdie

Normalcy bias. As one who has lived in almost caveman conditions, let me assure you, comfort is always available. It just looks a little different than you'd suppose... Something like the way worn out blue jeans are more comfortable than new ones.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@berdie

Normalcy bias. As one who has lived in almost caveman conditions, let me assure you, comfort is always available. It just looks a little different than you'd suppose... Something like the way worn out blue jeans are more comfortable than new ones.
A lot depends on what you consider "comfort" to be. I have always been more comfortable in durable clothes I don't have to worry about tearing or getting dirty. As for places, I have been comfortable in locations most people would not consider anywhere close, but they sure worked for me at the time, and yes I have slept in a cave, too. It's what you make of it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:07:51 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

A lot depends on what you consider "comfort" to be.  [...] It's what you make of it.

Yep, and the knowing how. Funny how that goes.

Offline berdie

@roamer_1

I guess comfort is progressive...from streams to aquaducts to pumps to faucets.

As you said, it is all subjective. A cave would be luxurious compared to open elements but truthfully, if it were a big dark cave with no natural light, I might struggle with which scenario was more comfortable, lol.

Online Smokin Joe

@roamer_1

As you said, it is all subjective. A cave would be luxurious compared to open elements but truthfully, if it were a big dark cave with no natural light, I might struggle with which scenario was more comfortable, lol.
Well, sometimes a big dark cave is more comfortable than the little crampy ones. A lot depends on how wet they are, too.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

I hope I'll always be able to take your word for that @Smokin Joe rather than have to live the experience myself. :laugh:

Offline dfwgator

And it's been all downhill for Turkey ever since.

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1

@berdie
Nah... once there is a fire, it isn't dark anymore- and the smoke from the fire gets rid of most of the creepy-crawlies.
And you'd be surprised how extraordinarily warm and comfortable a duff bed can be...

Wingnut

Well, sometimes a big dark cave is more comfortable than the little crampy ones. A lot depends on how wet they are, too.

Just tie a 2 X 4 to your ass so you don't fall in.   Just say'n.

Online Smokin Joe

Just tie a 2 X 4 to your ass so you don't fall in.   Just say'n.
Just help me find my truck keys!

C S Lewis

Wingnut

Just help me find my truck keys!

I have a flashlight... if I help you we can drive up outta here!

Online Smokin Joe

I have a flashlight... if I help you we can drive up outta here!
Man, that joke was old when my pet mastadon kicked off.  :laugh:

C S Lewis

Wingnut

Man, that joke was old when my pet mastadon kicked off.  :laugh:
:beer: 888high58888