Author Topic: US secretary of state flies to Britain to say sorry for Manchester leaks  (Read 598 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The US secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, has flown to the UK to deliver in person an apology for leaks by US officials of details of the police investigation into the Manchester bombing.

Tillerson, who met the foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, said: “We take full responsibility for that and we obviously regret that that happened. With respect to the release of information inappropriately … certainly we condemn that.”

Such a public apology by a senior US politician – and flying to London specifically to make it – is unprecedented in US-UK relations. That the Trump administration felt the need to make such a gesture illustrates the seriousness of this week’s rift.

“This special relationship that exists between our two countries will certainly withstand this particular unfortunate event,” Tillerson said.

The US and UK have one of the closest intelligence-sharing partnerships in the world.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/26/us-secretary-of-state-rex-tillerson-britain-sorry-manchester-leaks
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DB

So who leaked the information, why and what consequences are they going to face?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That's two....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis