Author Topic: What are you drinking this weekend?  (Read 8418 times)

Offline goodwithagun

What are you drinking this weekend?
« on: May 27, 2017, 12:06:47 am »
Memorial Day weekend is here and there's nothing more American than celebrating the ultimate sacrifices of patriots by drinking copious adult beverages and grilling anything that won't slip through the grates. I've recently discovered sour ale and I'm quite intrigued. Although it's what the cool kids are drinking, I was never an IPA gal. I don't dislike IPAs because hipsters love them, but because they're just too hoppy for me. I'm glad brewers seem to be moving on from that trend.

Any hoo, I'm currently enjoying a Berliner style sour ale named Divergent by Rivertown Brewery. They operate here in Ohio, specifically Lockland. It's pleasantly sour: not too strong yet not too weak. It has earned a spot in the basement beer fridge this summer. It would work well with grilled fish, light butter/oil based pasta dishes, and fruit based desserts. I think this will be my go to for the end of a long, hot day of gardening and child wrangling. Especially that last one.

Please share your drink(s) of choice for the weekend along with any grilling hacks you think are TBR worthy. Also, don't forget to include those who've died in service to our great nation when you bow your heads before your Memorial Day feast.  :patriot:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: What are you drinking this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:09:11 am »
My local HEB has these cute little cardboard six-pack carriers, and an awesome selection of beer.  You go and put any six you want in the carrier and they ring them up at the register.  I've got a little bit of everything to try.  I like darker beers, so mostly those.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 12:17:43 am »
Coffee, water, maybe a pop (soda) or two...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 12:24:06 am »
My local HEB has these cute little cardboard six-pack carriers, and an awesome selection of beer.  You go and put any six you want in the carrier and they ring them up at the register.  I've got a little bit of everything to try.  I like darker beers, so mostly those.

I love those! Not only are they great for trying new beers, but they are wonderful hostess gifts! I actually get them each year for my kids' teachers. It's a Catholic school, so it's all good  :silly:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 12:25:08 am »

I'm curious: Is it soda or pop in your neck of the woods? It's pop in mine, but I say soda because pop was my grandfather lol!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 12:25:22 am »
Bombay Sapphire Gin

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 12:31:10 am »
I'm curious: Is it soda or pop in your neck of the woods? It's pop in mine, but I say soda because pop was my grandfather lol!
Pop, but we've been so overrun in the past few years with folks from all over, that the two are used interchangeably.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 12:32:46 am »
Bombay Sapphire Gin
I recall reading some of that came out in 'extra strength'....

C S Lewis

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 12:43:58 am »
I recall reading some of that came out in 'extra strength'....

This is 94 proof.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 12:54:09 am »
I'll probably start my ongoing summer batch of Stoli Doli: One fresh pineapple (the Dole in Doli) and one bottle of Stoli. Marinate the pineapple for about a week and enjoy. I put the brew in a sun tea jug with a spigot in the fridge and sip as needed. Drink it straight up or use it as a cocktail ingredient.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 01:51:58 am »
Pyramid Hefeweizen and Margaritas.

But first busting my but Sat & Sun to finish the new deck and patio I am putting in before family arrives Monday.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:07:44 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Idiot

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 02:14:10 am »
Soda...what the heck is that?  Everything is a coke here just depends on what type of coke you want.  The Coca Cola Co. did quite a number on us Texans...lol.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 02:15:27 am »
Pyramid Hefeweizen and Margaritas.

But first busting my but Sat & Sun to finish the new deck and patio I am putting in before family arrives Monday.

Very well done!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017, 02:31:57 am »
Coffee in the am, fruit juices, Diet Coke later.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017, 02:42:16 am »
Soda...what the heck is that?  Everything is a coke here just depends on what type of coke you want.  The Coca Cola Co. did quite a number on us Texans...lol.

Dueya wanna Coke?
Yeah, sure.
Ok, what kind?

I've got a thing on Monday morning. No drinking for me this weekend. I'm old enough now that when I get drunk, it takes me 3 to 5 days to sober up. I'm smart enough to know when I've reached my lifetime limit on drinking. My body just can't take it like it used to.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline corbe

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 02:46:27 am »
[img wifth=500]https://untappd.akamaized.net/photo/2017_05_21/64a1bb7548aa686b56c511759efbdc83_640x640.jpg[/img]

Walter's Ghostly Pale Ale/Faust Brewing Co.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 12:37:12 pm »
@NavyCanDo That is gorgeous!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 12:40:44 pm »
Sodas and shopping for windows.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 01:05:12 am »
I'm done for the day. Time to take off my uniform and have a col'beer.

I bought so special beer for tonight. First time had a Guinness was in a pub in Sydney Australia. I asked the bus driver where I could find a pub close by, he gave me directions and then started raving about how great having a Guinness would be. I think I touched a nerve. So I did as he recommended, and it was a beautiful thing.

I could tell stories about my time in Australia that would make your head spin. Maybe some day, but not today. Cheers! to all.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:07:08 am by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 01:08:05 am »

Dueya wanna Coke?
Yeah, sure.
Ok, what kind?

I've got a thing on Monday morning. No drinking for me this weekend. I'm old enough now that when I get drunk, it takes me 3 to 5 days to sober up. I'm smart enough to know when I've reached my lifetime limit on drinking. My body just can't take it like it used to.

Exactly why I quit!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 01:10:11 am »
No drinking for me but I have a ribeye and taters in my halogen oven for a late dinner followed by chocolate ice cream.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 01:16:46 am »
Hard cider

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 01:18:49 am »
No drinking for me but I have a ribeye and taters in my halogen oven for a late dinner followed by chocolate ice cream.

Easy Bake ovens have never been the same since they outlawed the Edison 100 Watt bulb.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 01:18:53 am »
Pushed the boat out a bit - a Jamaican ginger beer with dinner.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 01:19:45 am »
Exactly why I quit!

There is a difference in 'drinking' and getting drunk. Fortunately as I've grown older, I've finally learned that lesson. I won't be getting drunk tonight, I can't do that anymore. It's just too painful and time consuming. I am happy to leave getting drunk for the kids.