Author Topic: Egyptian fighter jets attacking militants in Eastern Libya in response to attack on copts.  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Sorry no link as of yet, just a tweet from the AP.

Offline r9etb

Sorry no link as of yet, just a tweet from the AP.

This is a good thing.  Proof that sometimes, a military-backed (and therefore somewhat secular) regime can be better than the democratically-elected, theocratically-motivated alternative.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline dfwgator

Of course, if Obama had his way, we'd still have that terrorist, Morsi in charge of Egypt.

Offline Suppressed

This is a good thing.  Proof that sometimes, a military-backed (and therefore somewhat secular) regime can be better than the democratically-elected, theocratically-motivated alternative.

It's an odd comment, but true.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Only odd if you can't remember lessons of history, dating to the overthrow of the Shah of Iran.

Or Egypt, Libya, etc. recently.

These people sh!te in their own yards, when not constrained by brutal governments, and if allowed to migrate into peaceful places like Europe, start sh!tting there.

It IS the religion and the people that practice it.

They need brutally repressive governments, lest they blow up anything and everyone near them.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline r9etb

They need brutally repressive governments, lest they blow up anything and everyone near them.

If you look at Turkey or Egypt, for the most part they were not brutally repressive; rather, their interests were to maintain secular governments, because they'd seen how Islamic rule (especially decadent Islamic rule) had resulted in defeat and decay relative to the secular Western governments.

That's not to say they didn't engage in brutal repression -- ask your nearest Armenian friend about his ancestors' experience with the Turks.... 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Nothing says 'love' like marching over a million men, women, and children to death.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi on Friday said that Cairo will not “hesitate” to strike “terrorism” anywhere whether it is inside or outside his country after masked gunmen killed 29 Coptic Christians. (Screengrab)

This followed the televised address by Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi on Friday said that Cairo will not “hesitate” to strike “terrorism” anywhere whether it is inside or outside his country after masked gunmen killed 29 Coptic Christians, mostly children.

“Egypt will not hesitate at all to strike terrorist camps anywhere,” Sisi said during the TV address, adding that Cairo does not “conspire” against any country, and is keen to full protect its national security.

Sisi did not specify any country, however, he said since the fall of the Libyan regime in 2011, Egypt was watching  its borders carefully.

“I say again, any camps being currently used to train terrorists, Egypt will strike,” he said. “This message is clear.”

He repeated: “We will not hesitate in protecting our people,” in what he called “evil.”

He also urged US President Donald Trump to “prioritize” crushing terrorism.

“If Egypt fall so the rest of the world,” he warned. The Egyptian president said the country’s forces have destroyed 300 vehicles being used by “terrorist” elements in the past three months only near the western Libya border.

He further warned “what happened today, will not pass like that” without punishment.

Continued: http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2017/05/26/Gunmen-attack-Christians-in-Egypt-unknown-number-of-fatalities.html

---

Offline Cripplecreek

Its almost always true in the mideast.

Offline TomSea

I'm still not sure why Gadaffi was overthrown; it was a joint effort and so, we are not totally responsible. Maybe it was justified but they haven't explained it well.  I'm certainly no fan of Moammar.

So, Madame Clinton gave her speech today, Monday, a Libyan suicide bombed Manchester, today, perhaps militants out of Libya did this dastardly deed.

Online corbe

After the overthrow of Hussein Moammar pretty much went back into his corner but I think he wanted a new petrodollar and got into a pi$$ing contest with the French Oil Company but one thing I've learned is this is what happens when NATO gets involved in the fight against terrorism, things get worse.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Muslims generally kill 10 fellow Muslims for every 1 non-Muslim they kill. Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi knows very well that these Muslim radicals, friends of Obama, would kill him in a second if they could. It is not as much about protecting Coptic Christians as it is about him protecting his own citizens as well as himself.

Muslim radicals are not very picky about murder. If they can kill, they will kill, and who it is they are killing is a secondary concern.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline TomSea

Muslims generally kill 10 fellow Muslims for every 1 non-Muslim they kill. Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi knows very well that these Muslim radicals, friends of Obama, would kill him in a second if they could. It is not as much about protecting Coptic Christians as it is about him protecting his own citizens as well as himself.

Muslim radicals are not very picky about murder. If they can kill, they will kill, and who it is they are killing is a secondary concern.

There is some truth to what you are saying but make no mistake about it; right now, Egyptian Christians, Copts, are being targeted. I feel bad for these people; it could happen to any Christian apparently over there.

As of now, Egypt is not suffering say, from routine bombings against the people as in Iraq, even in Iraq, it appears those bombs are aimed at Shiites, but a different country than Egypt.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The bottom line in Egypt is that terrorism is bad for business. People want to see the Pyramids, the Sphinx, all the way down to Abu Simbel and beyond. Not so many westerners are dying to see them though.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

There is some truth to what you are saying but make no mistake about it; right now, Egyptian Christians, Copts, are being targeted. I feel bad for these people; it could happen to any Christian apparently over there.

As of now, Egypt is not suffering say, from routine bombings against the people as in Iraq, even in Iraq, it appears those bombs are aimed at Shiites, but a different country than Egypt.

Al Sisi grew up in a poor neighborhood with Christians and Jews who were kept poor. He also had the benefit of some western education.

Sisi was born in Cairo and after joining the military, held a post in Saudi Arabia before enrolling in the Egyptian Army's Command and Staff College. In 1992 Sisi trained at the Joint Services Command and Staff College in the United Kingdom, and then in 2006 trained at the United States Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Sisi served as a mechanized infantry commander and then as directory of military intelligence. After the Egyptian revolution of 2011 and election of Mohamed Morsi to the Egyptian presidency, Sisi was named head of the armed forces.