Author Topic: CHINA REACHES THE MOON SNAPPING INCREDIBLE, NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN HIGH-DEFINITION IMAGES  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Suppressed

Old news, but here's the Planetary Society link: http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2016/01281656-fun-with-a-new-data-set-change.html

CHINA REACHES THE MOON SNAPPING INCREDIBLE, NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN HIGH-DEFINITION IMAGES
 5/23/2017
http://www.physics-astronomy.com/2017/05/china-reaches-moon-snapping-incredible.html

While exploring the lunar surface, China’s Chang’e 3 lander discovered a new type of moon rock, and managed to snap THOUSANDS of high-resolution images of the moon.

For the first time ever, you can take a peek at the lunar surface like never before thanks to the sophisticated cameras located onboard the Chang’e 3, one of China’s most advanced lunar landers.

[...]

While the mission took place in 2013, China’s National Space Administration released thousands of the high definition images during 2015. The images however, weren’t displayed by western media due to the fact that China is used to release images in a period of one to one and a half years after received them.

Not long ago, Planetary Society’s Emily Lakdawalla spent weeks searching through the photo trove –which has over 45 gigabytes of data—and presenting it all in a easily downloadable manner for the entire world to see.

[...]

While the CNSA website is difficult to navigate - not to mention entirely in Chinese - the US Planetary Society has reposted the images from both Yutu and Chang'e 3 in accessible formats.

In 2017, China plans to send another lander to the moon which will even return numerous lunar samples back to Earth, exploring the moon in the process and helping researchers back on Earth understand the complex geology and origin of the moon, which has remained one of the most mysterious celestial objects in our solar system.

Excerpt.  Read more and see more images at http://www.physics-astronomy.com/2017/05/china-reaches-moon-snapping-incredible.html

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kidd

Spectacular.

Modern optical instruments are a giant leap over what was available in the early 1970s.
I would love to see a lunar rover explore the moon's south pole. This is necessary, if the United States has any intention of establishing a base of some sort on the moon.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Their rover looks very familiar
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I would love to see a lunar rover explore the moon's south pole. This is necessary, if the United States has any intention of establishing a base of some sort on the moon.

Should have had them running around on the moon since about 1980, since we didn't bother to go ourselves.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Amazingly while Obama was putting every fourth American on Food Stamps, China was going to the moon.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dfwgator

Been there, done that.