Author Topic: Veterans unite, fight HOA’s claim that American flag threatens ‘theme of the community’  (Read 946 times)

rangerrebew

Veterans unite, fight HOA’s claim that American flag threatens ‘theme of the community’

By Douglas Ernst - The Washington Times - Thursday, May 25, 2017

Two U.S. military veterans are making national headlines for their fight to fly the American flag.

A Georgia homeowners association recently informed U.S. Navy veteran Tom Wilder and Air Force veteran Pete Rockett that American flags flown outside 23 designated holidays constitute a threat to the “aesthetic and architectural theme of the community.” The men told Fox News Channel on Thursday that they are ready for a legal fight.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/25/veterans-unite-fight-hoas-claim-that-american-flag/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:19:35 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Once had an opportunity to buy a condo in a complex that had an HOA.  Glad I didn't.   I don't want anyone telling me I can't fly the flag because it violates some arbitrary rule. 

And those HOA fees are ridiculous.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Once had an opportunity to buy a condo in a complex that had an HOA.  Glad I didn't.   I don't want anyone telling me I can't fly the flag because it violates some arbitrary rule. 

And those HOA fees are ridiculous.

In Florida its very difficult to buy a house that isn't in an HOA.   The cities love them because the cities dont have to worry about code enforcement.   The builders love them because they can control the developments until they sell all the homes.   The dictator wannabees who buy houses and want to control everyone else also love em.    98% of the other people dont really care until they get a letter telling them to cut their grass.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

Live in an HOA you lose. No sympathy here. There are plenty of non HOA residential homes in GA where you can hang whatever you want. 

Offline driftdiver

Live in an HOA you lose. No sympathy here. There are plenty of non HOA residential homes in GA where you can hang whatever you want.

Here in central Florida there are very few homes built since about 1980 which aren't in a HOA.  Only those that are custom built have escaped.

Offline Frank Cannon

Here in central Florida there are very few homes built since about 1980 which aren't in a HOA.  Only those that are custom built have escaped.

There are 49 other states where there is plenty of non HOA inventory, or a group of people can take over an HOA board, or they can finds an HOA that doesn't care.

Offline driftdiver

There are 49 other states where there is plenty of non HOA inventory, or a group of people can take over an HOA board, or they can finds an HOA that doesn't care.

As soon as the govt bankrupts my business I'll move.   Taking over the HOA isn't feasible.  I've tried that and am seriously handicapped by the fact I have a life.   The president of our HOA lives across the street from me.   A retired Army Lt. Col who hates guns, fireworks and music.  He also trims his grass with a pair of scissors and walks around with a clipboard to write people up.   My first and most immediate goal is to move.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I lived in a subdivision that had an HOA, once.

Young folks.....   avoid these like the plague.  You think the Soup Nazi was anal-retentive?  Give a few idiot numbskulls a little power, and watch the worst in humanity.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

As soon as the govt bankrupts my business I'll move.   Taking over the HOA isn't feasible.  I've tried that and am seriously handicapped by the fact I have a life.   The president of our HOA lives across the street from me.   A retired Army Lt. Col who hates guns, fireworks and music.  He also trims his grass with a pair of scissors and walks around with a clipboard to write people up.   My first and most immediate goal is to move.

The HOA's we have up here are mostly exclusive to "Over 55" communities. I got a friend that is the head of the board of the one he lives at. He tells me his phone rings off the hook with constant complaints from residents about other residents for the stupidest shit. It's worse than what I have to deal with as a slumlord because the people at his HOA have money and lawyers. My tenants can barely make rent and if they piss me off I can throw them out.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:03:17 pm by Frank Cannon »

Offline Applewood

The HOA's we have up here are mostly exclusive to "Over 55" communities. I got a friend that is the head of the board of the one he lives at. He tells me his phone rings off the hook with constant complaints from residents about other residents for the stupidest shit. It's worse than what I have to deal with as a slumlord because the people at his HOA have money and lawyers. My tenants can barely make rent and if they piss me off I can throw them out.

Maybe you can.  Where I live, if the tenants are on some government assistance, it may be nearly impossible to throw them out.  Friend of my uncle owned an apartment building.  Rented to a couple of lowlife losers.  Tried to evict these tenants, but ended up going through some elaborate legal proceeding to do it (and I'm not talking about a simple landlord and tenant hearing before a magistrate).  Cost the landlord big bucks, but he told my uncle it was worth it.