Author Topic: Majority of Senate supports Cuban tourism bill  (Read 734 times)

Online corbe

Majority of Senate supports Cuban tourism bill
« on: May 25, 2017, 11:13:55 pm »
Majority of Senate supports Cuban tourism bill

By Melanie Zanona - 05/25/17 06:18 PM EDT

A majority of lawmakers in the Senate are backing a bill that would ease travel restrictions with Cuba, even as President Trump weighs reversing an opening with the island nation.

The legislation – reintroduced by Sens. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) and Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) on Thursday – has a total of 55 co-sponsors, including 10 Republicans. When the bill was introduced in the last session of Congress it had eight original co-sponsors.

The measure would allow Americans to travel to Cuba for tourism purposes, travel that is currently prohibited.

James Williams, president of Engage Cuba, called the swell of support “shocking.”

"This level of bipartisanship is unparalleled in today's polarized political environment," Williams said. "Removing burdensome regulations on travel to Cuba will allow Americans to exercise their right to travel freely, create U.S. jobs and support Cuba's growing private sector.”

The renewed Cuban travel push comes as the Trump administration is undergoing a “full review” of U.S. policy towards Cuba that may result in significant changes.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/335228-majority-of-senate-supports-cuban-tourism-bill

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

Re: Majority of Senate supports Cuban tourism bill
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:17:11 pm »
Cuba is an overpriced dump.

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:22:20 pm »
   List of cosponsors here, 10 repubs  (the usual suspects and Rand Paul) the rest dems.
   Our 2 Senators of Cuban descent are conspicuously absent.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/299/cosponsors
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:24:17 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 11:27:58 pm »
Cuba is an overpriced dump.

Unless you love the old classics and swap meets get you down, besides the Health and dental care are to die for, I heard.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:42:29 pm »
create U.S. jobs and support Cuba's growing private sector.

Just exactly how does that work? Are we going to start making fenders for '52 Plymouths?

Offline beandog

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 12:28:56 am »
I don't go to countries where it's citizens are not allowed to leave without permission.   I also don't go to countries that put their citizens in jail, or worse, for speaking out against the government.  I don't understand why anyone would.

Online corbe

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 12:38:00 am »

I don't go to countries where it's citizens are not allowed to leave without permission.   I also don't go to countries that put their citizens in jail, or worse, for speaking out against the government.  I don't understand why anyone would.

I wouldn't go to those kind of Countries either @beandog unfortunately, I think I live in one.

Nakoula Basseley Jailed for Hillary