Author Topic: Trump lawyers ask Supreme Court to reject 2nd Amendment claim by men who lost gun rights over nonviolent crimes  (Read 1124 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Trump administration lawyers are urging the Supreme Court to reject a 2nd Amendment claim that would restore the right to own a gun for two Pennsylvania men who were convicted more than 20 years ago of nonviolent crimes.

The case of Sessions vs. Binderup puts the new administration in a potentially awkward spot, considering President Trump’s repeated assurances during the campaign that he would protect gun-ownership rights under the 2nd Amendment.

But the Justice Department under Trump has embraced the same position in this case that was adopted under President Obama: to defend strict enforcement of a long-standing federal law that bars convicted criminals from ever owning a gun, even when their crimes did not involve violence.

The decision is in keeping with Justice Department tradition to defend federal laws in court, even if the administration may not be enthused with the statute.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-court-guns-trump-20170525-story.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline DiogenesLamp

I have long thought that gun rights should be restored to non-violent felons.   

I think Trump's administration is wrong on this,   but of course I don't know the specifics of what these men were convicted of doing.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Any man too dangerous to own a gun is a man too dangerous to walk the streets.

Either restore the rights or lock them up forever.

Online roamer_1

I have long thought that gun rights should be restored to non-violent felons.   
I think Trump's administration is wrong on this,   but of course I don't know the specifics of what these men were convicted of doing.

I stood in the way of a felony assault charge more than once in my brilliantly misspent yoot.

But by the age of 35 or so, I was a married workerbee  - A harmless little fuzzball - with only a couple instances thereafter which might loosely fall under that banner...

Were I convicted, all those many years ago, for what is nothing more than the exuberance of youth, and a bit less wisdom than accounted in other men... Were that the case, is it right or fair to deny me not only self defense, but also the right to hunt in order to feed my family?

I think not.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Will trump people now refer to pro gun people as leftists? This should be fun.

Offline Frank Cannon

Like it or not, the administration is pretty much following the NRA line.

Offline anubias

I don't agree with this at all.  Gun rights should not be taken away for a non-violent crime.  Period.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
It's called the RIGHT to bear arms.

You serve your time, the government has no RIGHT to tell you the 2nd Amendment no longer applies to you.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump administration lawyers are urging the Supreme Court to reject a 2nd Amendment claim that would restore the right to own a gun for two Pennsylvania men who were convicted more than 20 years ago of nonviolent crimes.

The case of Sessions vs. Binderup puts the new administration in a potentially awkward spot, considering President Trump’s repeated assurances during the campaign that he would protect gun-ownership rights under the 2nd Amendment.....

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-court-guns-trump-20170525-story.html