Author Topic: California Gov. Jerry Brown Calls Gas Tax Hike Foes 'Freeloaders'  (Read 726 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
His transportation package would almost double gas taxes while diverting money to public transit and parks.
By Christian Britschgi
http://reason.com/blog/2017/05/23/california-gov-jerry-brown-calls-gas-tax/print

California's newly passed transportation package will nearly double drivers' gas taxes. Don't like that? Then Gov. Jerry Brown
thinks you're a freeloader.

"The freeloaders—I've had enough of them," Brown announced in Orange County earlier this month. "Roads require money to fix."
Without an increase in the gas tax, he argued, Californians might have to drive on gravel.

Anger has been building at the governor since he signed the tax hike into law in late April. (The levies are scheduled to come into
effect in November.) Brown's state already has the seventh highest gas taxes in the nation, and that money pays for much more
than road repair. About $100 million of gas tax revenue—2 percent of the total—is diverted straight into the general fund every
year, and another 7 percent goes to public transit.

"California has plenty of money to fix our roads," says state Assemblyman Travis Allen (R-Huntington Beach), arguing that no
increase would be necessary if the state would stop siphoning off revenue earmarked for road maintenance and repair . . .

. . . Allen wants to put Brown's transportation package on the November 2018 ballot for a yes-or-no vote by the people of California.
Twice in this century, Californians have approved ballot initiatives intended to prevent gas tax revenue from being diverted to non-
transportation-related uses.

Right now Allen's initiative is being reviewed by the state attorney general, who is expected to approval a title ballot summary by
July 8. From there, Allen and his allies will have 150 days to gather the 365,000 signatures required for getting on the ballot.

This means signatures for Allen's initiative will be due in early December, about a month after Brown's gas taxes go into effect.
Allen is optimistic about his proposal's chances. "Californians are just beginning to realize the magnitude of the cost they are
going to be hit with, and they're outraged," he says.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: California Gov. Jerry Brown Calls Gas Tax Hike Foes 'Freeloaders'
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:06:21 pm »
Save Moonbeam's remarks and toss them back at every Dem from Ca. Every time they ask the other 49 States to bail Them out.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline dfwgator

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 09:19:06 pm »
I've always wondered what Californians would do if ...
   - the auto industry refused to sell cars there saying nuts to their emission standards.
   - the oil industry refused to sell gas there saying nuts to their gas standards.
Etc, etc, etc.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:25:43 pm »
   - the auto industry refused to sell cars there saying nuts to their emission standards.
   - the oil industry refused to sell gas there saying nuts to their gas standards.
Etc, etc, etc.
I used to ask myself the same question when I lived in Huntington Beach. Then I'd ask
others. They were usually stuck for an answer.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:29:16 pm »
"The freeloaders—I've had enough of them," Brown announced in Orange County earlier this month. "Roads require money to fix."
Without an increase in the gas tax, he argued, Californians might have to drive on gravel.

Well if that is his logic, he is a crook because he is taking current tax gas money to fill his billion and a half dollar budget hole.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 09:33:03 pm »
Etc, etc, etc.

They'd be happy as a lark, and ride the left hind teat of entitlements into the sunset.

Since their 54 EV's accounts for 1/5 of an electoral victory.....they'll get away with it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 09:39:10 pm »
They'd be happy as a lark, and ride the left hind teat of entitlements into the sunset.

Since their 54 EV's accounts for 1/5 of an electoral victory.....they'll get away with it.

If they can get the gas to put in the busses to take all their Illegal Aliens to the polls over Moonbeam's roads, after all the Citizens finally move out.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 09:45:38 pm »

If they can get the gas to put in the busses to take all their Illegal Aliens to the polls over Moonbeam's roads, after all the Citizens finally move out.

Yep, and Guv moonbeam would call that Utopia
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

• Wulf Anson Author