Author Topic: Why won't self-described "liberals" or "progressives" defend their positions rationally in debates?  (Read 703 times)

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
I think I might have an idea. They refuse to discuss what the definition of "liberal" or "progressive" are because as in discussions of conservatism, that issue often tends to seriously divide the participants and cause much hoopla / kerfuffle.

So leftists, being ever strategery(sic)-minded, come up with some excuse to shift the topic to instead talk about the things that divide their opponents, such as "what is conservatism?" or "what has the new president done that disappoints you the most?" or "let's talk about  why you conservatives need to vote for your 'values' while we 'Crats are uniting behind the most Marxist candidate that can win!!"

It's not rocket science, but the leftists have all gotten fairly good at working the mechanisms of demagoguery. It all goes waaaaaaaay back to Newton Minnow and Marshal McLuhan explaining how the "medium is the message". It's called (wait for it) "controlling the narrative".

Actors do it instinctively in personal discussions. This methodology has achieved cliché status:

Actor:( sucking the air out of the room) Enough about me, let's talk more about me!!

There should be a book like the Art of War for our times - maybe call it "The Art of Soft Warfare". There is going to be a chapter about "controlling the mass media narrative".

Whenever I ask a self-described leftist to articulate their ideology, policy stance or position on issues, all I get are evasions and lame attempts to redirect the discussion to things that serve the needs of LEFTISTS like the flaws, shortcomings or bad habits of conservatives.

Sewing dissension in the ranks is a tactic that is as old as Cane and Able.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:50:34 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
The reason for "won't" is "can't."
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Suppressed

Because their leader Trump shows that they don't have to.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Emotions aren't rational, so they are very difficult to defend rationally unless you are a Shakespeare.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Hoodat

If they could defend their positions rationally, they wouldn't be liberals.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-