Author Topic: NASA moves up trip to metal asteroid  (Read 1457 times)

Online corbe

NASA moves up trip to metal asteroid
« on: May 25, 2017, 03:42:37 am »
NASA moves up trip to metal asteroid

"The change in plans is a great boost for the team and the mission," said Henry Stone, mission manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

By Brooks Hays   |   May 24, 2017 at 3:12 PM    

The illustration shows the Psyche probe circling its target, a metal asteroid that scientists believe is a protoplanetary core stripped of its crust. Photo by SSL/ASU/P. Rubin/NASA/JPL-Caltech

May 24 (UPI) -- The launch date of Psyche, one of NASA's two newest Discovery Program missions, has been moved forward a year to take advantage of a more efficient trajectory. The craft will launch in the summer of 2022 and -- with the help of a gravity assist from Mars in 2023 -- will arrive at its target in 2026.

The metal asteroid Psyche is the mission's target. Astronomers believe the iron orb is the leftover core from a protoplanet that lost its crust in a collision during the solar system's earliest days. Data gathered by Psyche will help scientists better understand planet formation and the composition of planetary cores.

<..snip..>

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2017/05/24/NASA-moves-up-trip-to-metal-asteroid/8041495649679/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: NASA moves up trip to metal asteroid
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 03:45:34 am »
Prospecting.

I'd name the probe "Yukon Cornelius".
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 03:46:09 am by Cripplecreek »

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:37:24 am »
That's a long way off.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 12:44:32 am »
That's a long way off.

Didn't I point out this asteroid on an earlier thread?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley