Author Topic: Manchester attack: US leaks about bomber irritating (intel sharing stopped)  (Read 2650 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd has said she is irritated with the US for releasing information about the Manchester bomber before UK police would have liked.

Ms Rudd said the British had wanted to control the flow of information to "keep the element of surprise".

She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme she had been very clear with Washington "that it should not happen again".

Ms Rudd said the Manchester-born bomber Salman Abedi had already been on the radar of the British security services.

She claimed the 22-year-old, born to parents of Libyan origin, "was known up to a point" in the UK.

Ms Rudd spoke out as the government raised the terrorism threat level to "critical" - the highest possible rating - on Tuesday amid fears another attack was imminent.

She said this meant the police would have 3,800 soldiers to call on and equipment for "as long as we need them".

The measures follow Monday night's attack at Manchester Arena, which killed 22 and injured 59.

Counter-terrorism detectives have spoken in the past about how important it sometimes is for them that names of suspects do not make it into the media. They say a delay of around 36 hours, before the public know who they are investigating can allow them to arrest known associates of the suspect before they know police are looking for them.

Information about the bomber's identity first emerged in the US - with American TV networks CBS and NBC naming Abedi as the suspect.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40026413
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:50:22 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Manchester attack: US leaks about bomber irritating - Rudd
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 09:14:21 pm »
No big deal. Leaking is now legal and accepted in the US, especially if it fits the MSM narrative.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 09:19:42 pm »
Dumb question: how would the US have this information so quickly?  Wouldn't the Brits had to have given it to them? 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 09:22:58 pm »
Dumb question: how would the US have this information so quickly?  Wouldn't the Brits had to have given it to them?

Yep.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 09:35:57 pm »
And, our guys promptly turned around and released that info to the press?  Not good.  Not good at all.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 09:38:03 pm »
And, our guys promptly turned around and released that info to the press?  Not good.  Not good at all.

There was a time not so long ago when heads would roll over such as this!  I long for those days to return!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 09:38:53 pm »

No, it isn't. Makes the job harder.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:39:23 pm by EC »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 09:40:34 pm »
There was a time not so long ago when heads would roll over such as this!  I long for those days to return!

If heads don't roll, we'll prbably wind up invoking the Carter protocols again and sending your lads selected summarys only.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 09:43:29 pm »
If heads don't roll, we'll prbably wind up invoking the Carter protocols again and sending your lads selected summarys only.

And who could blame you if you did?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:44:54 pm »
It would be a sad thing to happen, but until these leaks get sealed - forcibly, if necessary - it's going to be needed.  :shrug:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 09:46:33 pm »
How many moslems work for security type organizations in the UK? That this was leaked to the U.S. press by our security people is a presumption. It may have been a direct call from someone in the UK to news people here. The analogy of a submarine with screen doors comes to mind.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 09:48:29 pm »
How many moslems work for security type organizations in the UK? That this was leaked to the U.S. press by our security people is a presumption. It may have been a direct call from someone in the UK to news people here. The analogy of a submarine with screen doors comes to mind.

Find me one UK media outlet that released the name before the US outlets did and I'll grant you have a possible method.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 09:53:55 pm »

@bigheadfred

Sorry Fred but this is entirely on us! Our intelligence agencies are full of moles these days thanks to 8 years of Obama and the likes of John Brennan!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:54:25 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 10:01:56 pm »

Yup.

The new wave of the future...breaking down trust between allies.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 10:16:30 pm »
Yeah, you guys are right.

American news outlets confirmed that information on the attack's perpetrator, Salman Abedi, had been passed to them by US officials.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 10:19:05 pm »
@EC

The Reuters news agency, an international organisation with headquarters in London, also published the name, citing “three US officials”, before British police made it public.

Online corbe

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 10:28:42 pm »
        Move over Churchill, MLK, more 'BUST' Diplomacy is on the way, to make amends to our British Cousins.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 10:29:50 pm »
@EC

The Reuters news agency, an international organisation with headquarters in London, also published the name, citing “three US officials”, before British police made it public.

888high58888

I'll accept that as half, as regards my challenge to you.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:30:22 pm by EC »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 10:47:34 pm »

888high58888

I'll accept that as half, as regards my challenge to you.   :laugh:

FWIW, I didn't see in the article that it specifically stated U.S. officials had leaked the info. So I didn't research it before I started talking. I came down with the stomach flu at work yesterday and had to leave work. I've been so violently ill I think I sprained my head.

Online dfwgator

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 11:31:57 pm »
@bigheadfred

Sorry Fred but this is entirely on us! Our intelligence agencies are full of moles these days thanks to 8 years of Obama and the likes of John Brennan!

Oh yeah, sure, the press will blame Obama for it.   :silly:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 11:32:34 pm »
FWIW, I didn't see in the article that it specifically stated U.S. officials had leaked the info. So I didn't research it before I started talking. I came down with the stomach flu at work yesterday and had to leave work. I've been so violently ill I think I sprained my head.

No harm, no foul. And you take care, you hear? Stomach flu ain't a joke at our age.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 11:51:56 pm »
Oh yeah, sure, the press will blame Obama for it.   :silly:

The truth is the truth regardless of what the press does or does not do!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 12:20:32 am »
Yeah, you guys are right.

American news outlets confirmed that information on the attack's perpetrator, Salman Abedi, had been passed to them by US officials.

**nononono*

Online corbe

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 03:59:42 am »
                 Move over Great Britain, Isreal make room for Belgium

This massive protest comes just five months after Trump called Belgium a “living hellhole” proceeding a terrorist attack that killed 34 people.

Protesters shouted as they marched through the streets holding signs that said things like “free Melania” and “stay out of our hole.”

At least they still have a sense of humor. Definitely not American.

http://bipartisanreport.com/2017/05/24/belgium-just-gave-trump-the-most-fcked-up-welcome-ever-this-is-hilarious/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Manchester attack: Police 'not sharing information with US'

Police investigating the Manchester Arena bomb attack have stopped sharing information with the US after leaks to the media, the BBC understands.

UK officials were outraged when photos appearing to show debris from the attack appeared in the New York Times.

It came after the name of bomber Salman Abedi was leaked to US media 24 hours after the attack, which killed 22 - including children - and injured 64.

Theresa May is to raise concerns with Donald Trump at a Nato meeting later.

Greater Manchester Police hopes to resume normal intelligence relationships - a two-way flow of information - soon but is currently "furious", the BBC understands.

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40040210

Said last night - the Carter protocols will be put into effect over the leaks. While regional police forces here are quasi independant, they'd have to have Home Office permission to stop intel sharing.

Thread title updated to reflect new development.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:51:18 am by EC »