Author Topic: McConnell: 'I don't know' how we get to 50 votes on health care bill  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: McConnell: 'I don't know' how we get to 50 votes on health care bill
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 05:20:06 pm »
I suppose leadership is out of the question.

With Mitch McConnell in it for sure!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 05:28:23 pm »
With Mitch McConnell in it for sure!

I disagree.  McConnell has been quite effective in getting Obama's budgets passed for the last six years.  Taking the lead in temporarily getting rid of the debt ceiling and granting the President blank-check authority was a political masterpiece that even Nancy Pelosi is envious of.  Just think of how much wealth has been stolen from the average US citizen through the FED policy of the 'printing-of-the-money' that could not have been possible without McConnell's leadership ability.  He may be the best Majority Leader the Democrats have ever had.  And he continues on with his fight to save ObamaCare.

And to think we almost had this guy primaried two years ago if not for some New York liberal opening up his checkbook to him at the last minute.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 05:30:42 pm »
I disagree.  McConnell has been quite effective in getting Obama's budgets passed for the last six years.  Taking the lead in temporarily getting rid of the debt ceiling and granting the President blank-check authority was a political masterpiece that even Nancy Pelosi is envious of.  Just think of how much wealth has been stolen from the average US citizen through the FED policy of the 'printing-of-the-money' that could not have been possible without McConnell's leadership ability.  He may be the best Majority Leader the Democrats have ever had.  And he continues on with his fight to save ObamaCare.

And to think we almost had this guy primaried two years ago if not for some New York liberal opening up his checkbook to him at the last minute.

Well sir! I must admit you make a valid point!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 05:37:14 pm »
Then step aside and let someone who knows how do it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:37:44 pm by dfwgator »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 06:54:02 pm »
Nobody asked me, but I'd rather see them vote, fail, and then place the blame publicly and squarely on the dems.  That way when it becomes an obvious crisis, they can say "see the Feds should never have been involved in health insurance in the first place, and here is a plan that will not only get us out of most aspects of health insurance, but also make sure those who are unable to provide for themselves have a way to do so".
Never happen. They'll blame Conservatives that stand in the way, even though they are vastly outnumbered by 'moderates'.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 06:55:09 pm »
Not necessarily. If it is in the wrong direction, they seem to do just fine.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 06:58:13 pm »
Funny. LBJ never seemed to have this problem when he was Majority Leader.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 07:01:57 pm »

The leadership is there. Its the will thats lacking. He doesn't want to repeal it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 07:07:25 pm »
How about we accurately define the problem: A small number of centrist Senate Republicans, Collins and a couple more.

So all that needs discussion, is why cannot McConnell convince them to go along?

No need to criticize the entire GOP Senate delegation. McConnell is simply being honest.

Call the offices of the wobbly GO Senators. Write them letters and emails. DO SOMETHING BESIDES TALK YOURSELVES.

(and no, debating the meaning of "centrist" won't do it, either)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 07:21:05 pm »
Funny. LBJ never seemed to have this problem when he was Majority Leader.

Bingo!

There's the way we'd Like our 'leaders/legislators' to be, and then there's the way they and their game is actually played.

Standing on ceremony, gentlemanly conduct, and Emily Post is not going to get us anything but more bruises.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 08:01:17 pm »

Bingo!

There's the way we'd Like our 'leaders/legislators' to be, and then there's the way they and their game is actually played.

Standing on ceremony, gentlemanly conduct, and Emily Post is not going to get us anything but more bruises.

McConnell had absolutely no problem going in hard and dirty to strong-arm his party and threaten them to deliver funding for Obama's agenda in all their continuing budget resolutions.

McConnell has absolutely no problem getting vicious in tearing apart anyone who opposes him in abject brutal fashion that would make any Democrat blush (ask Matt Bevin).

No.  McConnell works behind the scenes to make sure the Oligarchy and Beast gets what it  wants in terms of votes, and then he votes opposite simply to say to us that he opposed big government spending and Obamas agenda.

No he doesn't.  He only fights hard to push the big government oligarchy, he plays 'gentlemen' when it comes time to roll it back.  But he's no gentleman.  We've seen what he really is, and he more identifies with the Democrats and the machine than he does with those of us out here he pretends to represent.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775