Author Topic: British Prime Minister Theresa May Calls in The Military: May 23, 2017  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

UK raises threat level to 'critical'
CNN, May 23, 2017

The UK raised its terrorism threat level to "critical" -- the highest level -- for the first time in a decade Tuesday. Prime Minister Theresa May warned that intelligence services believe an attack may be "imminent."

Hours earlier, police identified 22-year-old Salman Abedi as the suspected suicide attacker who detonated a bomb as throngs of teenagers poured out of an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, killing 22 people. Abedi is of Libyan descent, sources in Manchester's Libyan community told CNN. May said he was born and raised in the UK.

Read more:  http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/23/europe/manchester-terror-attack-uk/

Manchester attack: UK terror threat level raised to critical
BBC, May 23, 2017

The UK terror threat level has been raised to its highest level of "critical", meaning further attacks may be imminent, Theresa May has said.

The move came after investigators were unable to rule out whether Manchester bombing suspect Salman Abedi acted alone, the prime minister said.

Military personnel will now be deployed to protect key sites.

Twenty-two people were killed and 59 injured when a suicide bomber attacked Manchester Arena on Monday evening.

The prime minister said soldiers would be placed in key public locations to support armed police in protecting the public.

Military personnel may also be seen at other events over the coming weeks, such as concerts, Mrs May said, working under the command of police officers.

The prime minister said she did not want the public to feel "unduly alarmed" but said it was a "proportionate and sensible response".

More: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40023488

Offline Frank Cannon

Yeah, that will fix everything Theresa. Carry on Matron.

Offline Suppressed

Yet again, it's a home-grown attacker, not an immigrant.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Yet again, it's a home-grown attacker, not an immigrant.
And they knew about him. Have not said what they knew yet. Ten or twenty dead here, ten or twenty dead there.

How long are we to wait, until our governments take pre-emptive action, instead of merely knowing about these people?

He likely was one in a group. They do NOT sacrifice the bomb makers.

So it may turn out the British govt. knew about more members of hi group, and did nothing.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Yet again, it's a home-grown attacker

The terrorist definitely is "home"-grown ... He's Salman Abedi, the Manchester-born son of Libyan refugees.

@Suppressed

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:56:55 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Suppressed

And they knew about him. Have not said what they knew yet. Ten or twenty dead here, ten or twenty dead there.

How long are we to wait, until our governments take pre-emptive action, instead of merely knowing about these people?

What action do you propose?

Even among the "known", only a tiny number actually become active terrorists.  What criteria do you use to take actions against a citizen who has done nothing illegal?  And what actions? 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Even among the "known", only a tiny number actually become active terrorists.  What criteria do you use to take actions against a citizen who has done nothing illegal?  And what actions?

I thought of that, that's probably why the Israeli prisons are overflowing with young men from what I understand. Maybe that will have to be done. I know that's not an attractive idea.

Offline TomSea

Throw them in jail, if they don't like it, they can leave the country.  Of course, UK like us, I'm sure have rights but legislation can be written I'm sure if it is not already in place. They are in a state of emergency with the terror alert at the highest. Take them off the streets.

Deport any who can be deported legally.  Dual citizens, etc.

Find other remedies.

It sounds like they are generous with public assistance; fine tune that, don't let any suspicious persons get it, something of this manner.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:15:57 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:26:50 am by TomSea »

Offline montanajoe

The problem as I see it is that every group of people of any size has a few serial killers, mass bombers etc.,  its really not so much nation, nor religion but numbers...given enough people we can always depend on  human nature to fill in the blanks......in the scheme of thing this will happen....

That said, radical Islam is and has been engaged in a multi-generational war with the West and infidels. The conflict is centuries old. It could have been effectively stopped by the Crusades had they not been sitting on a vast sea of oil that in the 20th century their natural enemies would pay with national their entire national treasure to get...

What many are unable to grasp is the simple fact that we as a species are not as sophisticated as we would like to believe.  Radical Islam has clearly laid down their only option.....Convert or Die. Yet many in the West continue the fantasy that... they really don't mean it ...if we can just come together...love conquers all...blah blah blah

The  fact is that this is war we either destroy radical Islam or they will destroy us..

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Suppressed wrote:
"What action do you propose?"

I propose this (and yes, I really mean it):

(not trains to "camps", but transport back to dar al-islam)

Offline dfwgator

Make it clear that in this country, we will not accommodate your religion.   If you want to freely practice Islam, there are many Muslim countries you can move to.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
dfwgator wrote:
"Make it clear that in this country, we will not accommodate your religion.   If you want to freely practice Islam, there are many Muslim countries you can move to."

Agreed.
And here's how we accomplish that:

By changing this:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

To this:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. The followers of muhammed are specifically excluded and denied the protections of this amendment along with any and all other Constitutional protections. Neither the United States nor the Several States will offer such protections or liberties to the followers of muhammed."